Elvis & The Imposters, City Hall, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, June 8, 2022

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis & The Imposters, City Hall, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, June 8, 2022

Post by Man out of Time »

The Boy Named If & Other Favourites Tour reaches Newcastle-upon-Tyne on Wednesday, June 8, 2022. Elvis and The Imposters last played the City Hall four years' ago in 2018.

Oliver's Army has tended to be a fixture in the setlist for this venue, given its reference to the Tyne river, but this year may be an exception, as the song has been "retired".

Tickets for the show are still available at various prices. You can order through TicketBastard here.

Doors open at 18:30.

Who's going?

MOOT
Fishfinger king

Re: Elvis & The Imposters, City Hall, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, June 8, 2022

Post by Fishfinger king »

I will be there.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

having a check on how tickets are going on the tour this seems to be the worst supported. Come on geordies dont let the great man down and MANCHESTER you do the same
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

This was a step up from the Glasgow gig in my book.
Seemed in good form and played 8.45 till nearly 11. Apologized for a substandard, illness affected performance back in 2018 and seemed to want to make up for it.
Voice seems in better shape than recently - no gum chewing and accepted the restrictions of age by dropping some of the high notes in Either Side and Shipbuilding. He also seems to make many more hand signals, particularly to Davey and Pete, than he used to.
Compared to Glasgow, out went Hey Clockface, Truth Drug, Indoor Fireworks, Comedians, Magic Thinking and Cowards.
In came a real rarity - Big Stars Have Tumbled which seems to be a Face in the Crowd song. Also No Flag, Detectives/Invisible Lady, Accidents and Mr Crescent. Alison finished with I’m Gonna Make You Love Me and Shipbuilding had a coda that mentioned the Thames and the Tyne but wasn’t Oliver’s Army. Perhaps someone can elucidate? Maybe Elvis does read verbal’s comments on here as he cut short PLU, no well, well, wells, and instead went into Mr & Mrs Hush. Finished with Alison and Mr Crescent. It was good fun.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Fishfinger king wrote:This was a step up from the Glasgow gig in my book.
Seemed in good form and played 8.45 till nearly 11. Apologized for a substandard, illness affected performance back in 2018 and seemed to want to make up for it.
Voice seems in better shape than recently - no gum chewing and accepted the restrictions of age by dropping some of the high notes in Either Side and Shipbuilding. He also seems to make many more hand signals, particularly to Davey and Pete, than he used to.
Compared to Glasgow, out went Hey Clockface, Truth Drug, Indoor Fireworks, Comedians, Magic Thinking and Cowards.
In came a real rarity - Big Stars Have Tumbled which seems to be a Face in the Crowd song. Also No Flag, Detectives/Invisible Lady, Accidents and Mr Crescent. Alison finished with I’m Gonna Make You Love Me and Shipbuilding had a coda that mentioned the Thames and the Tyne but wasn’t Oliver’s Army. Perhaps someone can elucidate? Maybe Elvis does read verbal’s comments on here as he cut short PLU, no well, well, wells, and instead went into Mr & Mrs Hush. Finished with Alison and Mr Crescent. It was good fun.
It was thought he or someone for him had read things on here. I am sure it wasnt the case but when he played the palladium a few years back I said it would be great if he played Shot with his own gun and he did. VG and I gave a know glance across the palladuim that night :D
I agree about the dropping of the high notes, I thought that at Glasgow he seemed to be managing the voice better
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

There were also a lot if extended instrumental passages in Hetty O’Hara, The Difference, Penelope2, Newspaper Pane, Chelsea abd a lot of the Albert Ross flapping of arms to shush the band which everyone obeyed except Pete! They do play very loudly but like 2020 , the mix is excellent , the best I think I’ve ever heard. I can not praise Charlie’s contribution too highly , he plays so many clever little riffs and phrases that are on the recorded versions that change the feel of the sing- and his lead solos are sublime , never overblown and never hurried or excessive. His understanding and empathy with the songs is obvious and he seems genuinely modest . The Impisters seem to love having him on the stage with them, there’s a real rapport between them all. I’m also hugely impressed by all their playing - there’s no decline here that’s obvious and collective and individual abilities seem as great as ever . Davey’s bass playing is superb, Steve is still throwing genius lines out whilst creating a framework for so many songs and Pete could well be the greatest living rocknroll drummer currently performing - relentless , powerful and subtle as well . Awesome performances all round !!
Psc

Post by Psc »

Thanks for the review, sounds like they are warming up nicely! Excited for the Bath show now.. :D
It's not a matter of life or death. But what is, what is?
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Any setlist please?
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... _upon_Tyne

01. Heart Of The City
02. Green Shirt
03. Either Side Of The Same Town
04. Hetty O'Hara Confidential
05. Mystery Dance - including additional fourth verse
06. Watching The Detectives - including Invisible Lady
07. No Flag
08. The Difference
09. Big Stars Have Tumbled
10. Accidents Will Happen
11. Penelope Halfpenny
12. What If I Can't Give You Anything But Love?
13. Newspaper Pane
14. Shipbuilding - with additional verse
15. Good Year For The Roses
16. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
17. Magnificent Hurt
18. Pump It Up
19. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
20. Mr. & Mrs. Hush
21. Alison - including I'm Gonna Make You Love Me
22. Mr. Crescent
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Fishfinger king wrote:Maybe Elvis does read verbal’s comments on here as he cut short PLU, no well, well, wells, and instead went into Mr & Mrs Hush. Finished with Alison and Mr Crescent. It was good fun.
I’m glad you do let alone anybody else :D
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Fishfinger king wrote:Maybe Elvis does read verbal’s comments on here as he cut short PLU, no well, well, wells, and instead went into Mr & Mrs Hush. Finished with Alison and Mr Crescent. It was good fun.
I hadn't really considered it before, but 'Mr and Mrs Hush' works pretty well as one of the encore-y type bits at the end, as he can use the repeated 'are you ready...?' line to whip up the crowd a bit. I thought that worked quite well last night.