For The Birds: The Birdsong Project includes new EC track

Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

For The Birds: The Birdsong Project includes new EC track

Post by And No Coffee Table »

A Boxed Set for the Birds Hopes to Save Them, Too

On Friday, Poster will release the first volume of “For the Birds,” a star-studded, 242-track collection of original songs and readings inspired by or incorporating birdsong; later this year, it will be bundled as a 20-LP boxed set to benefit the National Audubon Society. The project sprawled, he said, because birds seemed to be on everyone’s mind. “People were spending a lot of time looking out the window,” said Poster, one among the legion of bird-watching initiates in the pandemic. “There was so much that was unknown and unknowable that we were comforted by the fact nature was still doing its thing.”

“For the Birds” unspools like a version of a soundtrack Poster might design for an Anderson film, cavorting through moods and styles at will. There are elegies and aubades, fiddle tunes and field recordings. A radiant electronic trance from Dan Deacon and a Beatles interpretation from Elvis Costello share space with a Jonathan Franzen reading; Laurie Anderson, Alice Coltrane (remixed), Yoko Ono and a reading from Wendell Pierce open separate LPs.

https://recordstoreday.com/UPC/196626855947

DISC 5
1. Birdsong for Randy - Performed by Dan Deacon
2. When the Sun Explodes - Performed by Very Nice Person
3. Weird Bird - Written by Shel Silverstein. Read by Bobby Cannavale
4. And Your Bird Can Sing / The Birds Will Be Singing - Performed by Elvis Costello
5. Lucifer Hummingbird - Performed by The Flaming Lips
6. Who (Don't Look Back) - Performed by Andrew Wyatt
7. California Towhee - Written and read by Jonathan Franzen
8. Open Window - Performed by Michael Uzowuru
9. tori no uta - Performed by Aska Matsumiya
10. Two Arms - Performed by Le Ren
11. Sparrow, Sparrow, What Did You Say? - Written by Ada Limón. Read by Molly Rosen
12. Your Birthday at the Huntington - Performed by Mary Lattimore
13. Are We - Written and read by Jorie Graham

https://www.newburycomics.com/collectio ... lp_box_set

Downtown Records will be releasing The Bird Song Project "For The Birds: The Birdsong Project" on December 9th. The art-filled, 20LP box set includes over 200 tracks of original music and bird-related poetry. Proceeds from the sale of this collection and supporting events will be dedicated to the protection of birds and the habitats they need, today, tomorrow, and for all our futures with the National Audubon Society.

The Birdsong Project is a community dedicated to the protection of bird life, and to the celebration of the joy and mysteries of birdsong. We believe that birds - no matter feather or flock - are precious and inspiring and fundamental to our world. That a world without birds would be a world without freedom and flight and song. We believe birds matter, are endangered and need our help.
And No Coffee Table

Re: For The Birds: The Birdsong Project includes new EC track

I'm not sure I understand the plan here. If the first volume will be released this Friday (does that mean digitally?), and the expensive 20-LP boxed set will be out in December, should we expect a separate release for the fifth volume with EC at some point between Friday and December?

EC previously mentioned recording "And Your Bird Can Sing/Birds Will Be Singing" at the same time as "Phonographic Memory," "Maud Gone Wrong," and the still unreleased "Long Distance Love."

(I said last time the title should probably be "The Birds Will Still Be Singing," but the "still" remains absent in today's links, so the title may be correct.)
And No Coffee Table

And No Coffee Table wrote:I'm not sure I understand the plan here. If the first volume will be released this Friday (does that mean digitally?), and the expensive 20-LP boxed set will be out in December, should we expect a separate release for the fifth volume with EC at some point between Friday and December?
The streaming/download release of Volume 1 contains everything from the first four LPs, so EC's track from the fifth LP presumably will appear on Volume 2.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://amp.theguardian.com/music/2022/ ... ject-music

(…)

All of the set’s tracks were newly recorded, though a few pre-existing pieces were remixed to feature birdsong, including those by Yoko Ono, Philip Glass and Alice Coltrane. Similarly, Elvis Costello created a fresh medley out of vintage songs, linking his rapturous 1993 piece The Birds Will Still Be Singing to the Beatles’ This Bird Has Flown.

(…)
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
taramasalata

Post by taramasalata »

sweetest punch wrote:EC’s track is now available: https://www.stereogum.com/2191211/for-t ... music/amp/
What a brillant cover version!!!

Like with everything he does adding this exceptional personal E.C.thing to it.
With all his musicality, dedication and love.

Fantastic.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

taramasalata wrote:What a brillant cover version!!!
Like with everything he does adding this exceptional personal E.C.thing to it.
With all his musicality, dedication and love.
Fantastic.
Agree completely.
sweetest punch wrote:On YouTube: https://youtu.be/-q1bP-hLRgI
Thanks very much for putting these up SP - watching / listening to this has been the highlight of my day!

Best wishes from Overcast South Liverpool!
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Wow. Among the various one-off/contribution tracks that he's been dropping in the last year or so, this is really something. Superb. Thanks to everyone for the link.
jardine

Post by jardine »

okay, so, two revolver covers in short order...hmm. really like this bit of 60s miasma and the way 'still be singing' pierces it...
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

'FOR THE BIRDS: THE BIRDSONG PROJECT' EARNS GRAMMY NOMINATION FOR BEST BOXED OR SPECIAL LIMITED EDITION PACKAGE

https://www.gratefulweb.com/articles/bi ... ed-edition

The 5 Volume, 20-LP Deluxe Box set packaging was designed by Jeri Heiden and John Heiden with contributions from dozens of artists, and The Birdsong Project was produced by Randall Poster, the Grammy Award-winning producer and music supervisor known for his longtime work with Wes Anderson and Martin Scorsese. It was conceived and inspired by Executive Producer Rebecca Reagan, who brought a grand creative vision and wisdom to the project. Additional executive producers are Elliot Bergman, Stewart Lerman and Lee Ranaldo.

The complete 5-volume collection from The Birdsong Project is available digitally for streaming though the full collection is also available as a limited edition 20-LP deluxe box set, which features a 60-page book including an essay by musician-ornithologist Jonathan Meiburg of Shearwater and a package bursting with paintings and illustrations of birds by well-known artists.

Of the nomination the Heidens say of the work,”We are honored to be a part of this visionary project, and extend our gratitude to producer Randall Poster, and all of the diverse creative artists who contributed their works to this extraordinary compilation. Coming together – with one hope in mind – to help bring attention to the threats birds face around the world. For the birds!”

Poster adds,” I am thrilled to have The Birdsong Project receive a Grammy nomination - it would not have been possible without the endless imagination and creativity of Jeri & John Heiden. They have been mainstays of the project and have created the most enchanting box set ever. For the birds.”

“The National Audubon Society is proud to be a part of The Birdsong Project, which brings together artists, actors, writers, and bird lovers to celebrate birds and the joy they bring to our lives,” said Dr. Elizabeth Gray, Chief Executive Officer of the National Audubon Society. “Together as a community, we are channeling our work and creativity to protect birds and the places they need, and to address the environmental challenges our planet faces.”

The project’s expansive collection of 242 recordings represents a remarkable assemblage of diverse talent from across the creative community in support of an important cause, including GRAMMY, Oscar, Emmy, Pulitzer, Peabody and James Beard Award winners Ad-Rock, Sam Amidon, Laurie Anderson, Beck, Cassandra Jenkins, Dan Deacon, Julia Holter, Daniel Lanois, Elvis Costello, Flaming Lips, Haden Triplets, Jeff Tweedy, Jim James, Kamasi Washington, Karen O, Kurt Vile, Atlas Sound & L’Rain, Makaya McCraven, Arturo O’Farrill, Hania Rani, Mark Ronson, Nick Cave, Stephin Merritt, Mark Mothersbaugh, Terry Riley, Tyondai Braxton, UNKLE, Yo-Yo Ma, and many more. The majority of the recordings were made specifically for this project.

Spoken-word contributions recorded and donated to the project feature an array of writers and actors including Jonathan Franzen, Maggie Smith, Ocean Vuong, Alice Waters, George Saunders, Florence Welch, Greta Gerwig, Jeff Goldblum, Jelani Cobb, Matthew McConaughey, Natasha Lyonne, Regina King, Robert Pattinson, Sean Penn, Tilda Swinton, Tim Blake Nelson, Bobby Cannavale, Olivia Wilde, and more.

Proceeds from The Birdsong Project benefit the National Audubon Society, a nonprofit conservation organization dedicated to protecting birds and the places they need, today and tomorrow.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.gratefulweb.com/articles/bi ... ed-edition

'FOR THE BIRDS: THE BIRDSONG PROJECT' EARNS GRAMMY NOMINATION FOR BEST BOXED OR SPECIAL LIMITED EDITION PACKAGE

The 5 Volume, 20-LP Deluxe Box set packaging was designed by Jeri Heiden and John Heiden with contributions from dozens of artists, and The Birdsong Project was produced by Randall Poster, the Grammy Award-winning producer and music supervisor known for his longtime work with Wes Anderson and Martin Scorsese. It was conceived and inspired by Executive Producer Rebecca Reagan, who brought a grand creative vision and wisdom to the project. Additional executive producers are Elliot Bergman, Stewart Lerman and Lee Ranaldo.

The complete 5-volume collection from The Birdsong Project is available digitally for streaming though the full collection is also available as a limited edition 20-LP deluxe box set, which features a 60-page book including an essay by musician-ornithologist Jonathan Meiburg of Shearwater and a package bursting with paintings and illustrations of birds by well-known artists.

Of the nomination the Heidens say of the work,”We are honored to be a part of this visionary project, and extend our gratitude to producer Randall Poster, and all of the diverse creative artists who contributed their works to this extraordinary compilation. Coming together – with one hope in mind – to help bring attention to the threats birds face around the world. For the birds!”

Poster adds,” I am thrilled to have The Birdsong Project receive a Grammy nomination - it would not have been possible without the endless imagination and creativity of Jeri & John Heiden. They have been mainstays of the project and have created the most enchanting box set ever. For the birds.”

“The National Audubon Society is proud to be a part of The Birdsong Project, which brings together artists, actors, writers, and bird lovers to celebrate birds and the joy they bring to our lives,” said Dr. Elizabeth Gray, Chief Executive Officer of the National Audubon Society. “Together as a community, we are channeling our work and creativity to protect birds and the places they need, and to address the environmental challenges our planet faces.”

The project’s expansive collection of 242 recordings represents a remarkable assemblage of diverse talent from across the creative community in support of an important cause, including GRAMMY, Oscar, Emmy, Pulitzer, Peabody and James Beard Award winners Ad-Rock, Sam Amidon, Laurie Anderson, Beck, Cassandra Jenkins, Dan Deacon, Julia Holter, Daniel Lanois, Elvis Costello, Flaming Lips, Haden Triplets, Jeff Tweedy, Jim James, Kamasi Washington, Karen O, Kurt Vile, Atlas Sound & L’Rain, Makaya McCraven, Arturo O’Farrill, Hania Rani, Mark Ronson, Nick Cave, Stephin Merritt, Mark Mothersbaugh, Terry Riley, Tyondai Braxton, UNKLE, Yo-Yo Ma, and many more. The majority of the recordings were made specifically for this project.

Spoken-word contributions recorded and donated to the project feature an array of writers and actors including Jonathan Franzen, Maggie Smith, Ocean Vuong, Alice Waters, George Saunders, Florence Welch, Greta Gerwig, Jeff Goldblum, Jelani Cobb, Matthew McConaughey, Natasha Lyonne, Regina King, Robert Pattinson, Sean Penn, Tilda Swinton, Tim Blake Nelson, Bobby Cannavale, Olivia Wilde, and more.

Proceeds from The Birdsong Project benefit the National Audubon Society, a nonprofit conservation organization dedicated to protecting birds and the places they need, today and tomorrow.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://shorefire.com/releases/entry/fo ... on-package

For The Birds: The Birdsong Project Wins Grammy for Best Boxed or Special Limited Edition Package

(…)

Monday, February 5th, 2024— Congratulations are in order today to the For the Birds: The Birdsong Project who on Sunday earned a Grammy Win for Best Boxed or Special Limited Edition Package.

The 5 Volume, 20-LP Deluxe Box set packaging was designed by Jeri Heiden and John Heiden with contributions from dozens of artists, and The Birdsong Projectwas produced by Randall Poster, the Grammy Award-winning producer and music supervisor known for his longtime work with Wes Anderson and Martin Scorsese. It was conceived and inspired by Executive Producer Rebecca Reagan, who brought a grand creative vision and wisdom to the project. Additional executive producers are Elliot Bergman, Stewart Lerman and Lee Ranaldo.

Of the win the Heidens say,”On behalf of The Birdsong Project and the National Audubon Society we are thrilled to receive this recognition from our peers in the music industry. We hope that it will continue to inspire people toward conservation of birds and their habitats.”

(…)
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://twitter.com/ElvisCostello/statu ... 9503369264

Elvis tweets: “So glad that this beautiful package and the music, poetry and art within it were acknowledged. Many congratulations and thanks to Randall Poster for the invitation to be even a small part this.”