Willie Garson RIP

Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

Willie Garson RIP

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Beloved 'Sex And The City' Actor Willie Garson Dies At 57

https://www.elviscostello.com/#!/news/299914
Elvis Costello wrote:The passing of my dear friend, Willie Garson its as yet impossible to reason, given his love, his embrace and his appetite for life, for music, for acting, poker, New Orleans, the magnificence that is Tom Jones and for the company of friends around a table filled of conversation, flavour, gossip and laughter. The many admirers and fans of his acting will not be surprised that the wit and verve that he brought to the characters he portrayed, was only part of the puzzle.

Willie was splendid company not in that frivolous way in which time can be squandered. I think of him in the present tense, a joyful, opinionated man, sometimes exasperated at the stupidity, viciousness and vanities of life and what passes for leadership in politics and business. Then there was his love and care, for his friends and his family, most of all his son, Nathen, a young man for whom, Diana and I hold the most tender and consoling thoughts, this evening.

I have the most wonderful photograph from the day that I first introduced my younger sons, Dexter and Frank to Willie, when just toddling. They are teenagers now, so I would not embarrass them by reprinting it here. You will have to take my word for the delight in Willie’s face; somewhere between that of a man regarding a magician presenting a trick and that which might be read as, “Oh boy, there’s gonna be some trouble here”.

When Willie first confided in me about his illness and the rigor of proposed treatments, I sent him a framed, autographed photo of Sammy Davis Jr., one of his favorite entertainers. The singer was sporting the style of horn-rim glasses that both Willie and I have favoured all these years, although I would say Sammy probably carried them off with more élan.

I hoped that Sammy's exuberant flourish in the photograph would act as a good luck charm and tonic to Willie’s spirits. I believed with all my heart that my friend would be the exception who disproved the rule, as he gathered his strength and weathered the brief elations, the crushing disappointments, the crazy energy, determination, fatalism and the rage that are all part of any prolonged resistance against mortal illness.

There is a lot of pious nonsense spoken about courage in art and show business. I’ve always claimed that “courage” was better used to describe an innocent soul facing a firing squad but I would revise that melodramatic example to take in anyone having to parcel out their dwindling energies to leave this place with all the grace, good humour and gratitude that the indignities and insults of failing health allow and this was the last of Willie’s achievements.

Goodnight, my friend. I raise a chaste glass to you and one day I shall finally master the rules of this card game as you have done. Keep a place for me by the bandstand.

With love and condolences, to Nathen, Jerry, John and all Willie’s many loving friends and colleagues. E.C., Diana, Dexter and Frank

Willie Garson was a regular at EC's shows in Los Angeles and coined the phrase "Sweet Elvis Costello!" in an episode of White Collar. He can be seen in this video after he spun the wheel at the Revolver Tour in New York.

And No Coffee Table

Re: Willie Garson RIP

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Short clip of EC singing "What Kind of Fool Am I?" at the Willie Garson Memorial (yesterday?):
https://twitter.com/Risabg/status/1459694246823227397
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.showbiz411.com/2021/11/15/e ... lo-sings[b]

Exclusive: Hollywood Pals Say Goodbye to Actor Willie Garson at Memorial, Elvis Costello Sings[/b]

Willie Garson’s life was celebrated Saturday afternoon out an outdoor ceremony at LA’s Skirball Center in a grand style attended by hundreds of people at a memorial/fundraiser. Garson’s recent death on September 21, 2021 at 57, of pancreatic cancer, is a source of sadness for so many. Friends who attended told us that “there were friends from every part of his life from childhood on. He had the gift of making everyone feel special.”

The most special person in his life was his son Nathen Garson, who did not speak but sat in the front row. Willie adopted him at the age of 8 in 2010 as a single parent, and a clip was shown of his adoption at LA’s city Hall. Said one attendee, “Everyone was sobbing. Willie had a big life, but the part he loved the most was his son, and that’s where he found himself.”

The memorial started with friends talking about his one man show he worked on in his younger days in NYC “Willie Garson Sings.” Which then prompted Matt Bomer, Steven Weber, Nia Vardalos Jason Alexander who were all in the audience and had microphones to start singing two of the songs Willie sang in the show, “If They Could See Me Now” and “I Made It Through The Rain’ while Broadway’s Seth Rudetsky played the piano. That was followed by a gospel choir and New Orleans marching band; Willie played the tuba and loved New Orleans.

David Zazlav the President and CEO of Discovery spoke, he was a close friend of Willie’s who was active in the charities “You Gotta Believe” a group to help find loving parents for older children in foster care, and “Second Nurture” to help parents who want to adopt these older children. David will continue Willie’s work in both. The crowd was reminded that Willie “made friends and kept them on every job he had, which he had over 300 imdb credits.”

Willie’s good friend, Elvis Costello, said that “we met in the VIP room of some concert and became fast friends.” Elvis then explained that while Willie was sick, Elvis found a signed Sammy Davis picture with his famed black horned rimmed specs, the kind that Willie and Elvis always wore, he gave it to Willie who loved it. He then sang “What Kind Of Fool Am I” one of Sammy’s classics. A friend noted that it was so wrenching to say farewell to him. “He was so brave in his death and took care of every detail. Sadly saying goodbye to this incredible guy who died way too young.”
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.showbiz411.com/2021/11/15/w ... erformance

Watch the Memorial Service for “Sex and the City” Star Willie Garson Including Elvis Costello’s Touching Performance

You can watch the memorial service for :Sex and the City” star Willie Garson. It features an especially touching performance from Elvis Costello.

Most important, please donate to the Willie Garson Fund for foster kids. The link is here. So far the Discovery Channel has donated $300,000 to give it a start. There are some donations as much as $10,000 or more. And some as little as a few dollars. Every penny is needed.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.