'How to Play the Guitar and Y' - a audio book by Elvis , Sept. 2021

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

'How to Play the Guitar and Y' - a audio book by Elvis , Sept. 2021

Post by johnfoyle »

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/elvis-c ... AxvTmA3iF4

Elvis Costello quickly went from marveling at his charmed life to thinking he was born under a bad sign.

The singer-songwriter reflects on his 40-plus-year career and dives into his guitar-playing techniques in How to Play the Guitar and Y, the latest entry in Audible's Words + Music series.

"Over the years, I became more and more convinced that my career was written in the stars," Costello says in an exclusive excerpt, which you can hear below. "I shared not just the sign of Virgo, but my very birthday with such luminaries as Leonard Bernstein, Wayne Shorter and Gene Simmons, with whom I shared an interest in lipstick mascara and pancake makeup. My animal magnetism and suave demeanor were surely something that I shared with another man born on Aug. 25: Sean Connery. And when it comes to being magnetic, who picks up iron filings better than Billy Ray Cyrus? Billy was a right Virgo.”

Costello's confidence was quickly shot, however, when he realized he and all of the aforementioned superstars shared a birthday with a far less savory historical figure: Ivan the Terrible.

"Ivan, as his full name suggests, was not especially fond of composing, dancing, playing the saxophone or being especially suave," Costello says. "He did, I suppose, have a sense of both showmanship and a penchant for gore and terror, the clue being that he was the firstborn son of Mr. and Mrs. Terrible. Of course, this is not strictly an historical fact, but like most facts today, just something made up by somebody."

Despite the negative association, Costello has enjoyed a robust career full of critically acclaimed and commercially successful records, including his landmark 1978 LP This Year’s Model. He’s collaborated with the likes of Paul McCartney, Tony Bennett and Johnny Cash, and is widely considered one of the most influential artists of his generation.
johnfoyle

Re: 'How to Play the Guitar and Y' - a audio book by Elvis , Sept. 2021

Post by johnfoyle »

https://www.audible.com/pd/How-to-Play- ... 805ZK9HN9J

By: Elvis Costello
Narrated by: Elvis Costello
Length: 1 hr and 38 mins
Performance
Release date: 09-16-21
Language: English

About This Audible Original

"This isn't strictly speaking an instructional manual, but a work of comedic philosophy."

Elvis Costello—songwriter, singer, author, and Fender Jazzmaster known to his admirers as "The Little Hands of Concrete"—spins his tale with wit, grit, and spit to spare.

How to Play the Guitar and Y, Costello’s new entry into Audible’s Words + Music series, combines recitation, impersonation, and musical illustration to show you how to turn a three-chord trick into a four-chord caper and let your curiosity take you where it will.

Part madcap musical method, part comic chronicle, How to Play the Guitar and Y is accompanied by the author throughout on a number of different instruments with his 10 wandering fingers.

So gather round your favorite listening device to hear a storyteller and musician at his most captivating as he reminds you not to be afraid to fail and to never forget to play.

©2021 Elvis Costello (P)2021 Audible Originals, LLC.

About the creator

Born in London and raised there and in Liverpool, Declan Patrick MacManus—also known as Elvis Costello—has been performing in public for over fifty years, solo and with the band Rusty, the Attractions and his current ensemble, The Imposters.

He is a writer and part-time musician who made number of records in the twentieth century, some of which are still remembered today.

Elvis Costello is the composer and lyricist of several hundred songs, including fifteen titles co-written with Paul McCartney and renowned collaborations with Allan Toussaint, The Brodsky Quartet, and T Bone Burnett, with whom he wrote the Academy Award-nominated song, "The Scarlet Tide."

Costello has composed songs for artists like Roy Orbison, Chet Baker, and Johnny Cash and written songs with Loretta Lynn, Fito Paez, and his wife, Diana Krall.

He has written lyrics for music by Billy Strayhorn, Oscar Peterson and for twelve Charles Mingus compositions, as well as composing music for twelve unpublished lyrics by Bob Dylan.

Costello’s most enduring songwriting collaboration has been with Burt Bacharach, beginning with the song "God Give Me Strength" in 1995 and continuing to the present day. Their co-written, award-winning album Painted From Memory led to the composition of a significant number of songs for musical theatre, some of which were collected on the album Look Now and the EP.

He is author of Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink, a more than 600-page memoir which has been translated into six languages. Costello is also the composer of a half-finished opera, two ballet scores, and songs for several motion pictures and stage musicals, including an ongoing adaptation of Budd Schulberg’s A Face in the Crowd.

Making his debut in 1977 with the Stiff Records release My Aim Is True, Costello’s recording catalogue now runs to more than thirty-five titles, including Get Happy, Imperial Bedroom, King of America, All This Useless Beauty, North, National Ransom, and Wise Up Ghost with The Roots. 2021 has seen the release of a Spanish-language adaptation of his 1978 album This Year’s Model entitled Spanish Model.

He is a member of both the Songwriters Hall of Fame and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and in 2020 was awarded an O.B.E. for his services to music. He holds two honorary doctorates in music, one from the University of Liverpool and another from the New England Conservatory. Despite this, he is known for playing the guitar with almost no regard for common sense.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/entertain ... 318153002/

Elvis Costello reflects on cancer scare, 'extraordinary' Bruce Springsteen and new Audible project

Those who have witnessed Elvis Costello in concert or spent time scrutinizing his music would conclude his work is a master class in performing and writing.

With his new contribution to Audible’s “Words + Music” series, “How to Play the Guitar and Y,” Costello is bringing a master class of sorts to those who might glean insight about playing music. But even for the instrumentally challenged, it’s a delightful 96 minutes of Costello sharing personal stories with his keen wit and dramatic flair.

The new installment, on Audible Thursday, is one of several Costello sightings. He’s readying a return to the studio with Burt Bacharach – his collaborator on the 1998 album, “Painted from Memory” – and is celebrating the release of “Spanish Model,” a reworking of his benchmark 1978 album "This Year's Model" that features Latin singers Luis Fonsi, Juanes, Nina Diaz and Sebastián Yatra and others.

Though Costello, 67, endured a prostate cancer scare in 2018 (“I’m fine – I’m very fortunate,” he tells USA TODAY), he’s looking hearty in tortoise-shell glasses and a salt-and-pepper goatee on our Zoom call from his home office in New York, his music library lining the walls.

He expounded on his health, creating his Audible project and his admiration of Bruce Springsteen.

Q: It sounds as if you had a grand time creating “How to Play the Guitar and Y” because it allowed for storytelling and inflection and sound effects. What was your process for putting the installment together?

Elvis Costello: I wrote several drafts of the script. I think I wrote it out without the stopwatch and I thought I'd include all of my thoughts. One version was nearly two hours long and then I realized that's way too long. And then I cut it down and I realized a lot of the fun had been taken out of it because then it was more like a serious instruction manual, which, obviously, you know I would not be equipped to teach anybody anything. That’s completely obvious if you’ve ever heard me play the guitar! (But) the idea behind doing this it's simply to take away the fear of failing … I just wanted to find a way to say, “that was fun” and take away some of the terror. I kept hearing Irving Berlin in my head – “Let Yourself Go.” And that was the point of it, really.

Q: I recently saw Springsteen on Broadway and was thinking about that show while listening to your Audible project, even though yours is obviously more instruction-based. Have you ever thought about playing in a setting like that?

Costello: The reason I hadn’t seen Springsteen until (the last show on Sept. 4) was because when Bruce announced (the first shows in 2017), I had just finished two-and-a-half years on the “Detour” tour and it was, in a sense, the same premise, but not as scripted. When I heard Bruce was doing his one-man scripted show with reflections on his family background, I was a little fearful about going initially because I thought, would I be able to enjoy it and not just take notes about how I had taken the wrong path? I mean, I don’t really think the shows are in any way comparable because Bruce arrived at a script which he developed over time and mine was only semi-scripted, but every night it took radically different turns. But I was now able to completely surrender to the idea of it. What struck me apart from the moments of emotion when he talked about his mother’s Alzheimer’s – my father had Parkinson’s and the last thing that left him was his singing voice – was the delicacy with which he sang songs which the audience would sing for him if he were with the E Street Band. All of the youthful romanticism of the lyrics, everything was valued in the way he sang it. It was extraordinary.

Q: With some of your musical advice, such as when you riff on the “Impossible F Chord,” does it stem from mental notes through the years or conversations you’ve had with other musicians?

A: Storytelling has always been in the songs, but it was more overt in those “Detour” shows and I thought of this idea when Audible approached me that I didn’t want to do a memoir of my career. I felt we can have some fun with it and the biggest fun part of it, aside from writing and reciting (the script), was indulging a little bit of role playing with the different accents and voices and sound effects. I played it for (wife) Diana (Krall) and during the piano section, I said, “I know what I’m doing is complete nonsense.” It’s a complete bluff. But that’s the point – I’m not a piano player. But I loved having that playfulness and I care very much that people not be fearful (of playing music).

Q: You had a significant health scare a few years ago. How are you doing now?

Costello: I’m tickety boo, as they say in England. I’m fine, I’m very fortunate. I couldn’t even presume to place myself in the class of people who had an illness (whereas) I had a misfortune. I’m good, and thank you for asking. I don’t like to dwell on it because you know, the experience of so many friends has been more challenging than anything I’ve faced. I’m very grateful for this time with Diana and my 14-year-old boys. Yes, I did lose my mother in (February), but she was 93 and was at my last show in Liverpool in March (2020). She was in the game of life and in music as long as she physically could be.

Q: Tell me about the reworking of “This Year’s Model” as “Spanish Model,” because it’s a rather cool idea.

A: This Spanish record is about a group of artists with wit, integrity and heart coming to do something I just dreamed up one day. My friends knew people we could propose (the idea) to and we found a cast that ranges from very big stars to those just breaking through and trusted them to do some wonderful things. Like Fito Páez completely rewriting the lyrics to “Radio Radio” and the humor of it, or to hear songs like “La Chica De Hoy,” which is Cami’s version of “This Year’s Girl,” but it means “the girl today.” She’s a young singer from Chile looking outwards from that song. I mean, what an incredible thing for a songwriter to hear.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://people.com/music/elvis-costello ... -original/

Elvis Costello Is the Only Guitar Teacher You'll Ever Need
The legendary musician helps listeners get in touch with their "inner idiot" and discover the uncomplicated joy of strumming a six-string in the new Audible Original How to Play the Guitar and Y

​"This isn't, strictly speaking, an instructional manual," Elvis Costello confesses near the beginning of How to Play Guitar and Y, "but a work of comedic philosophy." That's as apt a description as any for this new Audible Original production (premiering Thursday), a charmingly idiosyncratic blend of Costello's musical and storytelling brilliance. Like his extensive back catalogue, the 96-minute soulful seminar resists easy classification. It's partially a music history lesson, though our research has uncovered suspiciously little about Ivan the Terrible's musically-inclined brother, Dennis. It's not quite a memoir, though it's packed with wisdom accrued from Costello's legendary career. It's almost a guitar masterclass, albeit one that eschews classical notation in favor of three-chord vamps promised to "give voice to your heart's desire."

That covers the titular "How." But the "Y"? That's where things really get interesting. Costello, 67, expounds on the complex spiritual reasons why human beings have been moved to make music for millennia, and the silly reasons we often talk ourselves out of it — namely, the dreaded F-chord, which has left the fingers of novice guitarists throbbing since time immemorial. Instead, he helpfully steers listeners away from the early pitfalls that discourage many learners from pressing forward. Rather than drill modes and scales, he encourages new players by insisting that they are closer to greatness than they may think. While common sense would possibly indicate otherwise, when Elvis Costello says it, you feel duty-bound to believe it. He even extols the virtues of screwing up on occasion. "We are most likely to come up with something of our own while failing miserably to get within a demented chord of our idol or ideal."

It's tempting to say he's taking a bold stance against the professionalization of the arts, but it's less complicated than that. He simply wants to share the fun. "We could always play when we were children in a state of grace, before heartbreak, before cynicism, before attitude, before ownership, before commodity," he says in the touching conclusion. "Never forget to play."

You most likely won't wind up sounding like Elvis Costello by listening to How to Play the Guitar and Y. But if you're lucky, you'll sound like yourself. Don't think too much. Just do it.

I can't begin to tell you how much I enjoyed How to Play the Guitar and Y. I found it extremely inspiring! I'm a passionate amateur musician, but like a lot of people I struggle to use the instrument to express emotion rather than just imitate. Your piece reminded me that "play" is the operative word.

It really is. I mean, I make no pretense to being a very accomplished musician. I can hear a lot of things, but I could never get a job playing other people's music. I play my own way! I've said this a number of times: It's important to keep the inner idiot alive. At least with regard to the rock and roll guitar. I'm trying to catch that in this story.

I've told the story of my career (as I chose to tell it) in a very long book I published a few years ago called Unfaithful Music and Disappearing Ink. It wasn't really about my career so much as it was about memory. A lot of it was to do with the relationship with my father and his father. There was less about my mother, who actually raised me. It took the example of two generations of accidental musicians: my grandfather — who was an orphan and picked up the trumpet as a way out of the orphanage — and also my father, who followed his example. So I had already told all that kind of story.

I thought that the few anecdotes that I could put in this piece would illustrate how not to let yourself be fearful to the extent that you cheat yourself out of the fun of playing, even if you're stumbling. You know, they call them "happy accidents." They don't call them "unhappy accidents"! Those happy accidents sometimes lead you to the next thing.

In my case, it was the realization that I didn't have to link the learning of playing the guitar in order to sing a song with learning to read music in the way you do when you learn the piano. When you play the piano you tend to look [at the sheet music]. And yet, as I say in the second chapter of the piece, the piano is a really inviting smile. All the white keys are all very logically arranged in an order. At first, you don't venture off that and you don't have to think about sharps and flats. So as you're reading, your fingers aren't having to move away from this progression of notes that's all in a logical order. But, of course, the minute you go on to explore more expressive music, you have to understand other keys and the relationship between all these notes. On the guitar the same idea immediately puts you at a disadvantage, because if you start in C, then F is your second chord. And F is nearly impossible [to play]!

So taking that painful lesson that I learned, I thought, 'Well, what are the other ways you can literally play — in the sense of joyful play — and what stories can I tell to illuminate that?' Not in any serious instructional way, because I don't honestly think anyone learned to play the guitar from listening to this. But they may learn how not to not learn, if you catch my drift.

One of my favorite aspects of How to Play the Guitar and Y is that it touches on everything from the mechanics of playing to music history to the spirit of performance, and it unifies them all in such a compelling way. Was there a specific line or sentiment that provided the inspiration for this?

This initial idea was kind of a party trick of mine. I would tell people, "If you just don't start in C, that's a start!" But you couldn't just make a piece out of that one notion. So then I had to explain why C was likely the starting place. And from there on, if you start again and you begin in another more fluid key for the novice, like G or like D, you're likely to get a little further a little quicker. Then I think it's keeping that curiosity alive, and everybody's level of curiosity is different. You must know people that can pick up a guitar, play a simple tune and that's all they ever wanted to do. They're satisfied doing that. There are many great musicians that don't veer much beyond three or four chords. They write great songs and they've never really bothered about being in other keys because they can put a capo on and change it into a key that suits their voice. I know plenty of people that do that. Just like there were lots of great musicians, particularly expressive jazz musicians, who learnt by ear. That doesn't make them lesser musicians. There are a number of great jazz musicians who don't read music.

Not everybody's knowledge of musical notation and sight-reading ability is at the same level as a member of the New York Philharmonic or the London Symphony Orchestra. That's a different training. My training is one of listening — first to my father, who did read music. His father, on the other hand, couldn't play without music. He was a military-trained guy. I'm the third generation of musicians [in my family] and I'm the least trained. I can hear quite complex music, and I can write it down, but I can't sight-read it. The thing I never trained myself to do is look at the notes and have them come out of the instrument that I play, either guitar or piano.

I do understand how the music is rendered on the page and how that relates to the register that the instruments are in, but that's different. You have to really work at getting that eye-hand relationship and it's not for everybody. So when it comes to playing the guitar, you're not playing scales and modes so much as you're playing shapes. Agreeable chord, agreeable chord agreeable chord, back to that one minor chord — that adds a little darkness! Now you've got a bit of mystery and now you've got many, many more songs at your disposal. That's all I wanted to point out.

It wasn't really a complicated idea, I just wanted to tell it in an entertaining ramble that people would follow. And by the end of it, if they never ever pick up an instrument, maybe they at least understand how to get to the curious part. Let yourself go, as Irving Berlin said.

It's wonderful — and probably helpful — that you grew up in a household that really valued music. I worry that there's this unfortunate tendency to divorce music and art from everyday life. It's become something for special occasions. We take musicians and essentially "other" them by putting them literally above us on the stage. Most children at a certain age are told, either through words or actions, that music isn't for them. At least if they don't reach a certain level that allows them to monetize their skill. The act of playing purely for the fun of it is devalued. How do you combat that mentality?

I don't know if that's everybody's experience. There is a process of elevating some people from the musical world and, by the same token, there are people that I personally know who are songwriters and performers who, at other times, would have been multi-million selling recording artists. But right now they're not recognized as having the potential for that, so they might be playing relatively modest venues. I came in during the last period where one could break through to a lot of people other than via social media, because it didn't exist. It took a bit longer to get people to be aware of you, because you had to literally go to their town, or you had to try and get on the radio, which wasn't always easy. But you had a bit more of a chance of being heard for what you really were rather than just being "famous," almost as a form of notoriety rather than an actual fame.

Elvis Costello performing with English pop group Elvis Costello And The Attractions

Elvis Costello and The Attractions performing in Liverpool, 1979. | CREDIT: ESTATE OF KEITH MORRIS/REDFERNS
I don't really think it's fame that's ever governed what I do. I play and people either like it or they don't like it. I'm only playing for the people listening. If you worry about the people who aren't listening, you'll never leave the house! But I do think that people gather together to play music [for the sake of it] more than you think. There's all sorts of reasons why you do that. As I point out in this piece, there's only five or six reasons why we sing and play at all, and they're shared across every culture in the world. We might believe different things, and we might place different weight and significance on the act of singing and playing in praise or in lament, or just to dance or just to seduce or to express a more complex literate idea. But that's shared across most cultures and humanity, as far as I can see.

Has this last 18 months [in lockdown] changed your relationship to the guitar in any way? Did having a bit of time in one place help you reconnect with playing just for the sheer pleasure of it?

Well, I've made a lot of recordings in that time, but until the weekend before last I hadn't played guitar onstage since March of 2020. I completed the record Hey Clockface, which I'd begun in Helsinki and Paris and ended up completing over a [Zoom] connection like this with a friend in New York and Sebastian Krys in Los Angeles. Sebastian and I have been in almost daily contact working on something. If I wasn't playing the guitar, I was listening to the guitar. I was listening to his mixes of the live material from the Armed Forces box set that came out last year. I was listening to the recordings of the EP that Steve Nieve and Muriel Teodori made [La Face de Pendule à Coucou]. They wrote the translations, [and] we recorded Iggy Pop and Isabelle Adjani and the group TSHEGUE singing in French.

And we completed Spanish Model. Now we have a whole record that we made 43 years ago, which is being sung in Spanish by a wonderful cast of Latin singers. I mean, playing the guitar has been part of it. Or rather, considering the guitar and hearing guitar parts put into a different relationship with those new renditions of these songs. Even though it was my playing from all this time ago, it was interesting what happens to the rhythm when they sing in another language. You hear the guitar differently, you hear the bass differently. It's the same playing but it sounds different. It sounds strong in different ways.

I don't want to give all the game away, but obviously we haven't stopped. Because what else were we gonna do? Feel sorry for ourselves? I mean, there's only so many songs that one can sing about isolation that are as good as John Lennon's "Isolation." There aren't too many songs about that topic that are better than that song! So why even try?

This piece [How to Play the Guitar and Y] was recorded in a cupboard under the stairs, not a recording studio. I was sitting there with a little glowing light and my script and my ukulele and my guitar and making funny noises as the soundtrack. I became what I always wanted to be, which was a sound effects man on comedy radio. Only this time it was to my own voice with this story. When you think about it, when you're separated from one another as we are now, how is that different from when you're all in different booths in the recording studio? The idea of being separated by thousands of miles is just an attitude.

If you were to focus on the sorrowful, troubling things about the emergency that we're living through, you're going to be weighed down by them. Not in a sense of rejecting common sense and prudence, but in the sense of emotionally feeling yourself confined in a box. Why would you not kick your way out of that box with the musical will and the spirit you've got? And if it's this little story, or if it's the next song by me that you hear, then I will have done my job. That's what I'm supposed to do. I'm supposed to communicate. I was given that job over 40 years ago and I still love doing it. Eventually we'll be back on the stage doing it.

I was very intrigued by the line in the piece when you say, "Music speaks secrets beyond words." What is it about music that makes it such an effective medium for transmitting emotion?

I think of it in this way. I share my life with a jazz pianist and singer [Diana Krall]. Now, my wife's map of Europe goes much further east than mine, because jazz had an ability — just as it probably still does, in some senses — to convey ideas that are not even permissible in words. I think that jazz had the ability to be a dissonant force during the Iron Curtain era to speak to people in Czechoslovakia, and even further east, in a kind of undercurrent of thought and emotion that wasn't encouraged in those cultures.

But then you could also say the same about the segregated society that we live in. I feel that people wrote pieces of music in all sorts of forms that were coded in meaning. They didn't need lyrics to say what they were about. You can pretty much guess what Max Roach's "Freedom Now We Must Insist" is about, but there's lots of other music but that's more subversive in the fact that it didn't even announce its intentions. It was just contained in the music to be about change, to be about justice, or to be about joy of living — not even about the political process. I think it's true the way it's traveled across the world and that's why I say the shared things in all humanity that we sing about are more significant than things that divide us in terms of ideology. Those things are passing fancies and, in time, will fade, as Ira Gershwin said. (Is that right? Is that a correct quote? Sounds good, anyway!) [Laughs before launching into an impromptu version of "Love Is Here to Stay."]

This is a great example of something I loved about your piece: You drew all these connections between artists and genres that were not immediately apparent. To my knowledge, you are the first person to draw a line from [the pre-War, ukulele-playing British music hall star] George Formby to the Sex Pistols.

George Formby was somebody that I didn't really like when I was a kid but I've grown to appreciate because of the fact that he was saying all these impossibly naughty things on the radio and horrifying people. [Laughs] Much in the same way the Sex Pistols' sense of rebellion was rather flimsy in terms of actual revolutionary thought, it was still thrilling to hear it. People acting on that cue was fairly limited [at the time], but the sound of a record like "Pretty Vacant" is so persuasive that you could believe the world might change. And maybe it did it change in the moment that you felt it could. That's true of any song like that.

I always find it fascinating that so many artists who came of age in the '50s and '60s cite these novelty-style pop songs like "You're a Pink Toothbrush, I'm a Blue Toothbrush" and "How Much Is That Doggy in the Window" as an influence alongside rock pioneers like Eddie Cochran or Chuck Berry. It's so interesting to think of a time when rock 'n' roll existed side-by-side with all sorts of other kinds of music and light entertainment. Do you think there's something lost when people aren't forced to take popular music in totality and sift through all of the middle-of-the-road stuff? Now, in this world of unlimited choice, it's almost like a certain context is removed.

Advertising people are responsible for many, many sins, and one of them was to force upon radio the notion of hard formatting to make playlists less interesting. We use the word "diversity" now. I caught the very tail end of freeform FM radio when you literally could hear wildly different music side by side, and within three years that had gone away. The reason why that had gone away was because somebody in an advertising agency wanted to reliably inform their clients that if they invested in TV and radio advertising they were only going to have one type of person listening to that station: the kind of person that buys roof installation or car mufflers. If you play them Miles Davis, that might not happen. If you play them The Grateful Dead, that might not happen. But if you play them this music, it probably will. They worked out the science of it, just like people that have worked out how to play sports by counting numbers. So all the poetry and all the grace goes out of it because they're no longer thinking of the imaginative possibility. They're thinking of percentages. It's like you're planning everything from the boardroom or from the accounting office instead of from the impulse to express something.

At the time that I first wrote "Radio, Radio" in 1975, I wrote it in imitation of Bruce Springsteen and it had a lyric that was positive. It was all about radio being great, because I listened to Bruce's songs and I thought, "That sounds like a land I'd like to live in! There's a girl in a red dress and a fast car and a Tilt-A-Whirl. Man, I want to go there!" Of course, when I went there it wasn't anything like that. It just looked like a little seaside town. Asbury Park looks just like New Brighton! But in my dream of it, it was magical.

And then I got into making records and I turned the song around. Music was now becoming very conformist. It was becoming mundane and predictable and we wanted to have the choice and let everything be different.

By the time we get to 43 years later and you have Fito Paez writing a new version of "Radio, Radio" on Spanish Model, he can't fight that battle again because that world has gone. We have instantaneous access to everything in the world, but we still have to tune out the static — the static that makes us not understand what's of value. And so that's what Fito wrote about. When you listen to his version you hear a story that's not dissimilar to what I'm saying in this piece, which is just simply: Let yourself go, let yourself dream, like yourself make a mistake. That might be a way to learn the next thing you need. If you never play the guitar you at least have fun listening to somebody else stumble around trying to do it.

Speaking of Spanish Model, how has that process been for you? In a sense you're now an outsider to your own songs. Has it allowed you to hear them from a fresh perspective?

My goodness, yes! I mean, Fito's [song] is the most extreme because he completely rewrote the lyrics and I loved him for doing that. But if you think [for example] "La Chica De Hoy" is the way in which "This Year's Girl" is rendered — that is, "the girl today," literally. That's the same idea as "This Year's Girl." That's like saying, "This is the girl that we are looking at." The Colombian singer Cami is a rising star in the pop music world. So you suppose she is very aware of the gaze to her. She is the center of attention, she is the object looking back at the man's gaze. She's making that estimation, or that calculation, of what that gaze looks like. Is it sincere? Is it heartfelt? My point of view when I was 23 was that there was a lot of stuff that was really insincere. Glamour wasn't to be trusted, but neither was a man. I wasn't making a comment against women, I was saying that this whole thing is not reliable.

And to hear Cami sing it so beautifully, with passion and determination, I just thought it was so great. It turned the song around on itself. And that happened several times on the record. La Marisoul sings "Little Triggers" with a tremendous depth of feeling. I was thinking more of the trigger was that to pleasure. Hers is that feeling that if you can't trip that switch you're going to drop down into the depths of sorrow. She found a different story in it. And that is really what has been the pleasure [of this project]. It's a little more profound a difference than simply interpreting the songs in a new recording. You're relating to the sound of The Attractions forceful performance and then it's adapted into another language, which forces a different way of thinking about the story. It means that people are adapting the thoughts of my song into a lyric. It's not a literal translation but an adapted translation, which means you've got to think about what the images mean in that lyric and find something that works in Spanish that fits the music. It's a totally different calculation.

I imagine you had to work quite closely with these artists to convey the nuances of the words. For years your lyrics have drawn a tremendous amount of attention, and even scrutiny. Does getting too specific about the meaning of a song remove its power? Is [the annotation website] Genius your enemy?

Well, I am aware where the bodies are buried within my own songs. I know when there's a slight of hand, or some deception, or a truth. And those stories change in time. I recently heard a rendition of "I Want You" done as a duet, which was astounding. I never thought of it being sung as a duet; it seemed like such a solitary point of view. So there are all these possibilities within songs.

I started out to be a songwriter, not a performer. So I'm open to the idea of people interpreting songs — even members of the audience. If they hear something different and they take a different story, provided they're not telling me what I was doing or how I should have written it, I'm fine with it because I know what I was doing. And I do know what I'm doing when I make records. If you don't like them, that's fine. You've got the choice to buy another record.

The circumstances that provide me the opportunity to do it is, to some degree, good fortune. I mean, I also have the ability and the curiosity to imagine these songs, with this one being different to the previous one. But I also have to have great cohorts. I have a wonderful ally in Sebastian Krys. We've worked on so much music over the last four or five years. There's a bunch of other one-off things that we did together, some of which are not available yet, and music for the future, which I don't want to speak about just yet.

Because we couldn't be out playing, the most important thing is to keep the feeling of connection. If I could only reach the four or five of us that play together, or do a song completely on my own and give it to somebody else, that's what I should be doing. I mean, what else am I going to do? Sit around feeling sorry for myself? What good is that going to do? If you do a job and you're physically unable to go to work and therefore you can't earn your living and your business goes under or you lose your job, that's a terrible thing. I can't feel sorry for myself because my job is one I can achieve. That doesn't make me better than anyone. It just means that I'm lucky that I get to keep on doing my job. And if I can come out at the end of it with something that's worth hearing for a moment, then that's what I do.

Well, I should add that I feel immensely lucky to be on the receiving end of what you do. I know I speak for many when I say that your music has touched me for many years. It gave voice to feelings I was unable to articulate as a young person — and probably still struggle with!

You and me both! [laughs] I was just saying this the other day. Somebody asked me what I felt about The Beatles. I was 8 when I heard "Love Me Do." I was 16 when I went to see Let It Be with my father. We both came out of the theater extremely depressed. I'd just watched my favorite group break up on film! (So I'm so delighted that [Peter Jackson's] Get Back [documentary] is coming out to kind of rejudge the balance of that story!) But the point is, if we are fortunate to have good music that carries you through that transition from childhood into the first glimmering of what it means to be an adult, that's lucky! If you've got a record that is the soundtrack or is the solace or is the encouraging element or the sense of something right or something wrong — whatever it is. You don't need me to say the names of the songs. They're different for you than they are for me because we're different ages. But we're lucky! I love all the stuff that I love more deeply than I've ever done. That's the one thing I think is really true. I've listened in a different head, because I haven't been moving so fast. Records that I've adored and felt I've known all my life, like Ella [Fitzgerald] and Louis [Armstrong] or something like that.

Did you know Louis Armstrong used to record tapes in his den in Corona [Queens]? He would record other people's music, and sometimes his own music, and make little compilations. They were almost like a mixtape for himself, which he sometimes narrated. He also used to correspond using these recordings and send them to people. A friend of mine's father knew Louis Armstrong and used to send him things like Christmas messages on tape and Lewis would reply in kind.

I read this article recently by one of the people that's involved in the Armstrong archive and they were talking about listening to the tape that he made on the day he passed. And [the archivist] said, "Well, I was looking at the tape and it seemed like the end, but then I realized there was a bit more tape, so I listened on." Sure enough, a minute or two later, there were a couple of other songs. So, without knowing this for absolutely certain, this man said, "I think there's a pretty good chance that the last record that Louis Armstrong listened to of his own music was 'April in Paris' with Ella."

I'll never be able to hear that piece of music quite the same way now that I know that. That song meant something to him in that moment, and then he just went to bed and he passed. I mean, after everything that he gave the world, he thought enough of that performance to be listening to it on that day. He could have been listening to, I don't know The Bee Gees or something. Which would have been good, too! But he wasn't, he was listening to his own record. And you know, I think that's kind of beautiful.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://consequence.net/2021/09/elvis-c ... -guitar/2/

Elvis Costello on His New Audible Original and Pairing “The Comic and the Heartfelt to Remove the Fear of Failure”
The legendary singer-songwriter talks about his inspirations and vision for instructive new Audible Original

Nearly fifty years into his career, legendary singer-songwriter Elvis Costello is still hard at work. Last week, Costello released his latest album Spanish Model, a re-recorded, Spanish-language version of his classic 1978 album This Year’s Model. The album was accompanied by an ongoing video series documenting its creation. Now, Costello is back with another project, How to Play the Guitar and Y, a new Audible Original releasing today (September 16th).

How to Play the Guitar and Y is the latest installment in Audible’s ever-expanding Words + Music series. Whereas most artists have used their Words + Music entries to explore their musical inspirations and share stories from their lives, Costello saw the opportunity as a unique chance to teach and directly change his audience’s lives.

The resulting work is a wildly entertaining blend of creative short stories, wonky music lessons, and short musical interludes that show off Costello’s wit and sagacity.

To get a better idea of the creative process behind How to Play the Guitar and Y, Consequence spoke with Costello by email to talk about his vision for the project. You can grab the Audible Original here, and check out the Q&A below.

By now, a lot of artists have worked with Audible for their own Words + Music entries. Most have used the opportunity to perform some kind of autobiographical work, i.e. telling stories from their lives and/or reflecting on old recordings. What made you decide to take a more creative and pedagogical route?

A few years ago, I wrote a more than six hundred page book called Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink, a kind of memoir, although not a chronological reference book. It was also published in an audiobook and e-book edition, so in writing How To Play The Guitar and Y for Audible, I look only to the past to offer people something that might change their future.

Failing this, they could have fun failing. Which is pretty much how I’ve approached my life’s work. My grandfather used to say, “You can’t fall, there’s nothing to stop you.” No, I don’t know what it means either, but while you are thinking about it, you’ll probably forget your fear of tumbling.

You really take full advantage of the audio format, throwing in sound effects — some musical, some less so — and panning your voice left and right to add “dramatic effect.” Everything sort of melds together into one cohesive sound object; it almost reminds me of a radio play. Did you have any inspirations for this approach? Did you come in with particular ideas for how you wanted the finished product to sound?

I don’t know whether radio comedy carried on as long [in the US] as it did in England, but I grew up in time of BBC shows like Round The Horne, which happened to refer to the host’s name but which provided cover for all sorts of absurdity and double, if not single, entendre humor. Sound effects play a very big part in radio comedy. I always fancied doing that job, and now I have. There were also some humorous books that I read as a lad that reminded me that a ridiculous and sometimes invented telling of, say, history could make you curious to find out what really happened.

About a third of the way into How to Play the Guitar and Y, you declare it a work of “comedic philosophy.” Obviously, the work is quite funny, and in it you present a specific philosophy of music, or at least a philosophy of music pedagogy. Can you break down what “comedic philosophy” means?

I wouldn’t take that claim of this being “comic philosophy” too seriously. I thought it looked more intriguing than saying this was a “daft ramble.” Anyone who has ever heard me play the guitar must know that I am unqualified to teach formal musical instruction. My “philosophy” is to use both the comic and the heartfelt to remove the fear of failure. The mechanics of playing the guitar used to be welded to the study of musical notation, bringing you swiftly into conflict with chords that intimidate the novice.

If you simply desire to accompany yourself singing a song or two, there are easier and numerous ways to get there. This is just my suggestion. Your curiosity will tell you how far you want to travel, and let’s have fun doing it and remember to play, as you did as a child.

Interspersed throughout the commentary and sound effects are these short musical pieces. I remember being caught off guard when that rather beautiful guitar piece started playing during the hilarious Papal Bull episode. How did you go about writing music for the work? What relationship did you envision the music having to the words?

Thank you, I’m glad you enjoyed the musical interludes. I wanted to score this piece throughout, whether with actual musical illustrations, a few snatches of song, impersonations, character voices and sound effects. Sometimes these passages you mention allude to a musical idiom without directly quoting a song, other times they are new themes of my own invention.

I put myself in the mind of talking to a curious friend — each listener likely does so alone. I was in a cupboard below the stairs, in the basement of our house that functioned as my recording booth. I had a microphone, a couple of guitars and some other instruments. I only ventured out of that location to do whatever it is that I do to the piano. I would call it “playing.” Others might disagree.
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

"How to play guitar and Ymaginatif' ?

I feel acknowledged :lol:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Some random notes , made while listening to & enjoying this .

Hank Williams ' Cold Cold Heart deconstructed and parsed, for about 10 minutes , from c. 35 minutes on.

Lots of sound effects. Kind of like a Goons show .

A brief extract from Farewell OK at c. I hour.

The full band version of Farewell OK, as played on Steve's New Year's eve show, 31 December 2020, when Elvis held his 'phone up to the pc microphone.

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... l,_OK_2020
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Ymaginatif wrote:"How to play guitar and Ymaginatif' ?

Hmm, that’s stretching it a bit…

…and by a bit I mean immensely :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

verbal gymnastics wrote:
Ymaginatif wrote:"How to play guitar and Ymaginatif' ?

Hmm, that’s stretching it a bit…

…and by a bit I mean immensely :lol:
I thought it was ... imaginative ... :lol:

only joking ... only joking ...
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

For some reason this isn't available in the UK, Australia, Japan and no doubt various other countries. I have contacted Audible, but no word on availability. A few people have also left messages on EC's social media accounts, some of which he has responded to - apparently he is aware of the issue but it's not in his power to fix.

And no, you can't get around the restriction using a VPN. It's based on your billing address - and they pretty much only take credit cards. Unless you happen to enjoy an "international lifestyle" it's rather difficult to legally obtain credit cards in multiple countries.
--Paul--
Now put on your ironic dancing shoes
And dig my brand new rhythm and hues:
https://www.paulinglis.org
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.npr.org/2021/11/12/10538758 ... 1053875889

How to Play The Guitar and Y by Elvis Costello, Audible

To me, Elvis Costello has always been to pop music what Martin Scorsese is to cinema: he is a world class practitioner and artist, but also a historian, curator, preservationist, and educator. I really appreciated this 90-minute music lesson mixed in with a little autobiography, a little criticism, a little commentary and little snatches of music.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

sweetest punch wrote:Now available on CD: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1799790053/re ... 1M1XP94GKK
I'm interested but...how much of a palaver is this for a UK buyer? I can just order it from Amazon US and they convert the price to £ for me (and then spend six weeks 'shipping' it, naturally)? Or it's easier to wait until it appears on Amazon UK?
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Hawksmoor wrote:it's easier to wait until it appears on Amazon UK?
more proof that EC reads this Board : https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Play-Guita ... C60&sr=8-1
I wonder if it will be available via non-Amazon sources in UK?
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Top balcony wrote:
Hawksmoor wrote:it's easier to wait until it appears on Amazon UK?
more proof that EC reads this Board : https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Play-Guita ... C60&sr=8-1
I wonder if it will be available via non-Amazon sources in UK?
OK, so I've now ordered from Amazon UK and they're giving me 15th June as an arrival date - two weeks away so maybe they're waiting on stock from the US before they ship it out here?