Attractions 'King of America' sessions

Pretty self-explanatory
Neil.

Attractions 'King of America' sessions

Post by Neil. »

I've just been reading the Georg Purvis book, and in the Blood & Choc section, he mentions that the Attractions recorded versions of 'I Hope Youre Happy Now' and 'Blue Chair' while in America for the KOA sessions.

As far as I'm aware, these have never been released - unless I'm wrong?

The 'Happy Now' version on Rykodisc rerelease of Goodbye Cruel World is not the American session, is it?

And the (annoying, in my opinion) Blue Chair version that came out as a single isn't the KOA session version either, is it?

Anyone have a full list of what the Attractions recorded during their band-breaking time on KOA?

Obviously we know about Suit of Lights, which is one of their best ever recordings!
sweetest punch

Re: Attractions 'King of America' sessions

Post by sweetest punch »

More info here:

http://www.inanotherroom.com/koa.html

BRILLIANT MISTAKE (ATTRACTIONS VERSION)
NEXT TIME ROUND (EARLY ATTRACTIONS VERSION)
BLUE CHAIR (EARLY ATTRACTIONS VERSION)
Elvis had originally planned to feature the Attractions on about half of King Of America, but plans were scaled back when their sessions did not live up to his expectations. Only three songs from the Attractions sessions have surfaced: "Suit Of Lights," "Baby's Got A Brand New Hairdo," and "Betrayal." It is unclear how much else they recorded, but Elvis' liner notes mention they recorded "lackluster versions" of "Next Time Round" and "Blue Chair," both of which were ultimately re-recorded for Blood & Chocolate. It is not entirely clear whether "Brilliant Mistake" made it past the rehearsal stage.

http://www.inanotherroom.com/bac.html
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Thanks, guys. Ah, sorry, my memory served me badly.

Yes, I meant there was a version of 'Happy Now' by the Confederates knocking around somewhere. And it was released! So does anyone know where I can listen to it? I've just looked on YouTube to no avail!

John, that Blue Chair page doesn't mention a third version of Blue Chair - the 'unusable' one that Georg mentions. Maybe it just doesn't exist as a recording. Wow, wonder what it was like?!

So tantalising to wonder what these takes were like - they could hardly be terrible, cos the Attractions don't do terrible!
Last edited by Neil. on Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

I liked the story that Bruce told about the Attractions being a bit unhappy with the KOA situation. Bruce went to talk to EC in a hotel room, and EC was surrounded by large versions of possible "king" photos for the album cover, and Bruce thought he's finally gone mad.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Yes, I meant there was a version of 'Happy Now' by the Confederates knocking around somewhere. And it was released! So does anyone know where I can listen to it? I've just looked on YouTube to no avail!
Just checked . I ,er , facilitated a upload to youtube in 2015 but the account it was on got taken down so its gone.
Blue Chair page doesn't mention a third version of Blue Chair - the 'unusable' one that Georg mentions. Maybe it just doesn't exist as a recording.
That seems to be the case .

Georg 's book has highlighted some material that has a very limited availability in digital formats. Time to rectify that !
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

johnfoyle wrote:I ,er , facilitated a upload to youtube in 2015 but the account it was on got taken down so its gone
Aw, that's a shame. So what was it like? Very Confederatesy? Upright bass, brushes on drums, James Burton silvery elec guitar sound? Was it a fast version, a slowie, what?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Neil - please check private message
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Thanks, John - yes, that is my email address!
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Thanks to a - *ahem* - mystery donor, I have now heard the Confederates version of 'I Hope You're Happy Now'.

It's a slowie version, very much in the style of 'Shoes Without Heels' (which is I think a classic and should have made it onto the original album - Eisenhower Blues could have happily been ditched - my least fave Elvis cover!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I love Shoes Without Heels.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

verbal gymnastics wrote:I love Shoes Without Heels.
Yeah, they've always suited you, Verbal, and they're so much more comfortable than the other type.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

:roll: :D :D
Neil. wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote:I love Shoes Without Heels.
Yeah, they've always suited you, Verbal, and they're so much more comfortable than the other type.
krm

Post by krm »

Neil. wrote:Thanks to a - *ahem* - mystery donor, I have now heard the Confederates version of 'I Hope You're Happy Now'.

It's a slowie version, very much in the style of 'Shoes Without Heels' (which is I think a classic and should have made it onto the original album - Eisenhower Blues could have happily been ditched - my least fave Elvis cover!
Is this the songs that can be found on the King of Americana boot?
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Hi KRM - I don't have that bootleg, so I don't know.

But apparently it was accidentally released on the CD singles collections a long time ago.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Neil. wrote:Hi KRM - I don't have that bootleg, so I don't know.

But apparently it was accidentally released on the CD singles collections a long time ago.
http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... ,_Volume_3
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
krm

Post by krm »

Neil. wrote:Hi KRM - I don't have that bootleg, so I don't know.

I managed to dig out my old copy of the bootleg, and it sure is that version. Thanks for pointing me in that direction. I found a lot of other stuff that I had forgot that I had :-)