Elvis at We Love NY: The Homecoming Concert, August 21, 2021

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis at We Love NY: The Homecoming Concert, August 21, 2021

Post by sweetest punch »

https://liveforlivemusic.com/news/new-y ... park-2021/

UPDATE: ‘We Love NYC: The Homecoming Concert’ To Feature Bruce Springsteen, Paul Simon, Patti Smith, More

Bruce Springsteen, Paul Simon, Patti Smith, Jennifer Hudson, and Elvis Costello will head the lineup for New York City’s massive We Love NYC: The Homecoming Concert.The show, presented by the city of New York, music industry magnate Clive Davis, and Live Nation, will take place on the Great Lawn in Central Park on August 21st.

“This is going to be an historic, monumental moment for all New Yorkers and all Americans,” Mayor Bill de Blasio said in a statement. “I’ll put it plainly: You’re going to want to be here. This is truly once in a lifetime and we thank Clive Davis, Live Nation and Danny Meyer for all their efforts to help make this possible. This is a celebration of our city, of every working family who faced incredible challenges last year and overcame. This is a celebration for you.”

The lineup for the day-long event, set to begin at 5 p.m. with gates at 3 p.m., will also feature Jon Batiste, Andrea Bocelli, Kane Brown, LL Cool J, Lucky Daye, Earth Wind & Fire, Carlos Santana, Kenny “Babyface” Edmonds, Cynthia Erivo, Jimmy Fallon, Wyclef Jean, Journey, The Killers, Gayle King, Don Lemon, Barry Manilow, The New York Philharmonic, Polo G, and Rob Thomas.

“There is absolutely no place more special than Central Park to celebrate the reopening of New York City,” Brooklyn native Clive Davis added. “I consider the Mayor’s request a true honor; and, with Live Nation, we are curating an unforgettable show befitting of this historic occasion.”

Eighty percent of tickets to We Love NYC: The Homecoming Concert will be given away for free starting on Monday, August 2nd at 10 a.m. ET with a Citi Cardmember Presale starting Thursday, July 29 at 10 a.m. VIP tickets will also be available for purchase, and all attendees will need to require proof of vaccination. Additional release periods for free tickets will occur Tuesday, August 3 at 7 a.m. ET; Wednesday, August 4 at 9 a.m. ET; Thursday, August 5 at 7 a.m. ET; Friday, August 6 at 10 a.m. ET and Saturday, August 7 at 9 p.m. ET.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Re: Elvis at We Love NY: The Homecoming Concert, August 21, 2021

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news ... nt-details

The Killers, Bruce Springsteen & LL Cool J Set for NYC Central Park Mega-Concert

Amid concern over the Delta coronavirus variant, a mega-concert in Central Park to celebrate New York City's reopening will go forward as planned next month, with performers including The Killers, Journey, LL Cool J, Jennifer Hudson, Paul Simon and Bruce Springsteen.

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio joined music industry legend Clive Davis, who is co-producing the concert, for a press conference this morning (July 27) unveiling details of what de Blasio promised will be a "historic," "blockbuster" event. Officially titled "We Love NYC: The Homecoming Concert," the event is set for Aug. 21 at 5 p.m., it will be broadcast live globally on CNN and 80% of tickets will be free. While de Blasio initially proposed having vaccinated and unvaccinated sections, he said that attendees will be required to present proof of vaccination.

"New York City is back," de Blasio said. "You can see it, you can feel it, and it's time to celebrate on the Great Lawn."

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.showbiz411.com/2021/08/20/e ... y-enforced

Exclusive: Stars Rehearsing for Clive Davis Mega Concert in Central Park, COVID Restrictions Strictly Enforced

I wandered into Central Park this afternoon to pick up my press badge for Clive Davis’s mega concert set for tomorrow, to welcome back New York from the pandemic.

I chose a fortuitous moment, as did a few parkgoers who clamored around the perimeter of the Sheep Meadow close enough to see the stage. We got a dose each of Elvis Costello, Barry Manilow, and Maluma rehearsing for the show. (I missed the Killers, who were next, but I had to go!)

Just the three acts I saw were special enough that the whole thing tomorrow is going to be off the hook. I did see the legendary Rickey Minor on stage leading the large band through music from these diverse artists, and getting it all right. And loud, baby!

Manilow ran through some of his best known hits. When he started “Copabana,” nearly everyone near or below the stage started dancing. It was pretty fun. They’d already been warmed up by Maluma, who I’d never seen in person before. This guy can sing. And when he started, it was like bees to honey. People around the park came out of the woodwork singing along with him. Wild.

Elvis Costello was my focus. Despite the intense humidity, I waited for him to knock out two big rockers with Minor’s band. Fans will not be disappointed, but I won’t give away his selections. The crowd will love it.

Just as I was leaving, The Killers emerged on the lazy Susan roundtable stage. What I figured out is that one act is playing and another is on deck, so the show will be nonstop hits. Bathroom breaks may be hard to come by.

The show — which could be four hours– is free and there isn’t a bad place to plop a beach towel. Plus the weather gurus insist we’ll be okay.

Who else is on the bill? Uh, Bruce Springsteen, Paul Simon, Wyclef Jean, Jennifer Hudson, Santana, Rob Thomas, Patti Smith and so on and so on.

So brace yourselves. Of course you can see it on CNN, but there’s nothing like being there. Hearing live music waft over the Park is like magic.

PS You know Clive Davis is 89 years young. He’s had more events this year than anyone– and kept us busier than any junior people in the music biz! Bravo!

Also, COVID rules are strictly enforced. Everyone there was very serious about masks, vaxxes, etc. I’ve never seen such meticulousness. Thank you to all involved!
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Central Park Evacuated During Homecoming Concert Due To Lightning
Central Park was evacuated during the city’s big Homecoming Concert on Saturday evening due to inclement weather.

Concert-goers were asked to leave the park around 7:40 p.m.

The concert began around 5 p.m. as scheduled.
And No Coffee Table

Barry Manilow was mid-song at the time of the evacuation. EC had not appeared.
jmm

Post by jmm »

EC being interviewed live on CNN as they fill time / hoping to maybe resume without a crowd
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
jmm

Post by jmm »

EC said “2 more new records in early new year.”
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
And No Coffee Table

jmm wrote:EC said “2 more new records in early new year.”
And that he and Burt Bacharach will be recording "a couple more sides together" next month.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... 235001117/

NYC Homecoming Concert Won’t Resume Due to Severe Weather, CNN Reports
Carlos Santana, LL Cool J, Jennifer Hudson and Earth, Wind and Fire were among the big-name acts that were able to perform at the event designed to mark a comeback for the city hit so hard by the coronavirus pandemic.

New York City’s We Love NYC: The Homecoming Concert, which ended early on Saturday due to severe weather conditions in Central Park, has officially been canceled according to CNN, its exclusive broadcast partner.

The concert had kicked off in the afternoon with a pre-recorded video featuring stars like Stephen Colbert and Sara Bareilles delivering a rendition of “New York State of Mind,” wrapping up a week-long celebration of the city’s reopening, which consisted of live concerts, free movie screenings, Restaurant Week, cultural activities and more.

Halfway through the event, the concert was halted due to “approaching severe weather” including heavy rain and thunder. Attendees were asked to find the nearest exit and proceed to their vehicles or other protected areas outside of the event site at Central Park.

“This is NOT an emergency,” clarified New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio via his official Twitter account when the announcement was made. According to local news, tropical storm warnings were issued for New York City, with hurricane warnings from Long Island to Rhode Island.

Amid CNN’s continued coverage after the event was stopped — while it was unclear whether it would continue — Anderson Cooper spoke on the phone with stars including Elvis Costello, Patti Smith and Colbert. “I am watching historic broadcasting right now,” said Colbert from the performance tent. “I am enjoying this moment of you killing time. You are spinning straw into gold.”

Smith, who told Cooper that she was “on-call” offsite with her band as they waited for further instructions, shared a message she felt was important. “A performer is there to not only inspire but to entertain the people,” she said, clarifying that obviously I wanted to entertain. “There are things to talk about … “she said, emphasizing the crux of the continuing global and environmental pandemic. “These are important to acknowledge even in a night of celebration.”

Smith mentioned a number of the ongoing challenges in the world: fires, flooding, drought, famine, the earthquake in Haiti, fall of Kabul and the delta variant. “These are real things that are happening, so what are we celebrating?” asked the singer. She concluded that we are celebrating that “we as individuals have heart, resilience and the ability to make change.”

Smith emphasized to Cooper: “We have to face the new world … with a certain amount of willingness and sacrifice to make change.”

The Killers performed an acoustic version of “Mr. Brightside” backstage, as Don Lemon and many others watched in the tent. Elsewhere, Barry Manilow performed and played piano from his trailer.

During the concert’s pre-show, attendees — largely unmasked, though vaccinated as part of the event’s entrance requirement — were treated to a musical montage of New York-affiliated artists and entertainers, including Broadway star Idina Menzel and award-winning actress Laura Dern, serenading the Big Apple with the Billy Joel tune.

“This is a celebration of our city, of every working family who faced incredible challenges last year and overcame,” Mayor de Blasio said in a statement last month when details about the concert were announced. “This is a celebration for you.”

But outside the Central Park event’s entrance, anti-vaccine protestors congregated with yellow stars attached to their clothing, something Holocaust survivors, historians and experts have criticized. Used by the Nazi German government to identify Jews during the Holocaust, the symbol has been appropriated by the anti-vaccination movement, which inaccurately likens vaccine mandates to antisemitic persecution during World War II.

Following the pre-event, The New York Philharmonic and CBS This Morning’s Gayle King helped open the show, with the morning show co-host thanking essential workers for taking “their stations on the front lines” in the city, which was once the epicenter of the COVID-19 pandemic and “is now the epicenter of the recovery.”

“Slowly, New Yorkers began to do what we do,” King said to a clapping crowd. “We find a way.”

The Homecoming concert was intended to feature performances from an array of music icons and contemporary artists, spanning various genres — from reggae to rock to Latin pop and more. “Live music has the unique ability to bring us together,” said Geoff Gordon, the regional president of Live Nation, which is co-producing the event along with music mogul Clive Davis and the city.

Bruce Springsteen, Carlos Santana, Paul Simon, LL Cool J, Elvis Costello, Barry Manilow, Jennifer Hudson, The Killers, Andrea Bocelli, Jimmy Fallon, Cynthia Erivo, Julia Michaels and Earth, Wind & Fire were among the big-name acts set to take the stage at the celebration, which took place amid ongoing concerns about the delta variant and ended earlier than expected due to severe weather.

Introducing Jon Batiste, Colbert said, “If there’s one thing I learned at the beginning for the pandemic, it’s that owning a tiger sanctuary is harder than it seems. If there’s a second thing, it’s that living any part of your life in New York is a gift.”

Behind each performer, a series of shots and graphics of New York filled the screens behind the stage. Hudson described her operatic performance with the New York Philharmonic to King, calling it an “out of body experience.”

Blue and white beach balls and big, yellow balloons with smiley faces on them bounced around the audience as the concert continued. DJ Cassidy filled in between performance sets, playing pop hits.

Proof of at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccination was required for entry, unless an attendee was unable to get vaccinated because of a disability or age, in which case they needed to provide a negative COVID test result. Masks were optional at the outdoor event. The event was also set to air worldwide exclusively on CNN.

“There is absolutely no place more special than Central Park to celebrate the reopening of New York City,” Davis said last month, adding that the event marked an “historic occasion.”
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Elvis was interviewed on CNN and this is the most important news:
- He is going in the studio with Burt Bacharach in September to record “a couple more sides” together.
- The Spanish version of Radio Radio will come out next Friday.
- Elvis recorded 4 albums during the pandemie and next year will see the release of two new albums.
Last edited by sweetest punch on Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Did we learn what songs we missed E performing? I read something somewhere about allegedly two unlikely rockers that he was to play!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Two big rockers who usually close his shows, one of them PLU.
Last edited by sweetest punch on Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/we- ... 235046299/

We Love NYC’ Concert Canceled at Halfway Point Due to Lightning Threat
Bruce Springsteen, Paul Simon, Elvis Costello, Maluma and the Killers were among those who never made it to the stage.

UPDATED: “We Love NYC: The Homecoming Concert,” the Clive Davis-programmed concert in Central Park, was called off just past its halfway point Saturday due to lightning strikes occurring within a 10-mile radius of the Great Lawn.

Artists like Bruce Springsteen, Paul Simon, Elvis Costello, Maluma, Patti Smith and the Killers had yet to appear at the point it was shut down.Those who did get in stage time before the abrupt cancellation included Jennifer Hudson, Polo G, Andrea Bocelli, Earth Wind & Fire, LL Cool J, Kane Brown, Journey, Santana, Jon Batiste and the New York Philharmonic.

The abrupt halt came in the middle of a Barry Manilow medley at 8:37 p.m, as the 60,000 fans in attendance and even those in the VIP area were told to exit immediately.

Confusion reigned in the aftermath of the mass exit. Although an announcer could be heard on the CNN broadcast telling attendees that the show was “canceled,” in an effort to convince stragglers to leave, some fans on social media reported that Mayor Bill de Blasio had come out and suggested they take shelter nearby in case the show could be restarted later.

Ironically, Manilow had made it far enough in his medley to sing “Copacabana,” “Mandy” and “Can’t Smile Without You,” but fell just short of being able to get to the planned capper to his set, “I Made It Through the Rain.”

For nearly three hours afterward, as some of the performers who yet to play waited things out in their trailers, Clive Davis and other organizers talked with city officials with the idea that the show might resume without an audience and wrap up as a pure broadcast event. But the hope of a crowd-free resumption proved to be in vain, with host network CNN announcing just before 10:30 — with rain and lightning still in the area — that there was no possibility of even an impromptu, informal finale.

The concert and broadcast were planned to last for five hours. It was two hours and 37 minutes into the show when Manilow, mid-verse in “I Can’t Smile Without You,” was interrupted by an announcer saying: “Attention. Please pay close attention to the following safety measures. Due to approaching severe weather, all persons should move quickly and calmly to the nearest exits and proceed to your vehicles and protected areas.” Some fans were reluctant to leave, but the announcer soon declared over the PA that the event was canceled.

Even so, CNN urged viewers to stick around by putting a chyron on screen for much of the following three hours that read, “Concert may resume soon once severe weather passes.” That belief seemed to be more than just a faint hope, as anchor Anderson Cooper interviewed artists in their trailers who said they believed some sort of denouement, even a short one, could be in order, despite fans having been told the concert was off.

CNN’s weather anchor said that city officials had previously revealed that the show would have to be called off if there were any lightning strikes within 10 miles, and once those occurred in the Rockaway and Battery areas, there was no choice but to call it off. The lighting strikes represented the passing outer flank of Hurricane Henri, 270 miles away from Manhattan as of showtime.

“They called the show, and then everybody said, ‘Wait a minute, we might be back on,'” Costello told Cooper in a phone interview about two hours after the show was shut down. “There is, after all, a big old storm coming…. (But) if there’s a way we can go play a few tunes to bring it to some kind of musical conclusion, that would be great. Let’s see what happens.”

It was not to be, even as Cooper kept interviewing stars who were in their trailers, or, in Patti Smith’s case, already offsite. Hearing that host Gayle King was in a trailer where the Killers and others were ensconced, the CNN host cajoled King into FaceTiming the network a live feed of the Killers doing an acoustic “Mr. Brightside,” after she initially balked, apparently in jest, saying she wanted to save it for her CBS show Monday morning.

As the 10:00 hour hit, what looked to be about a hundred rain-drenched fans had been allowed back into the area, raising hopes that of a very belated coda for the show. Cooper kept going with what he called “our freeform jazz odyssey of a broadcast,” which got progressively sillier as he bantered with the rained-out stars, with some viewers comparing it to one of his loopier New Year’s Eve broadcasts.

When word finally came that the show was canceled-canceled, Cooper went through the final stages of denial. “I’m like the last guy at the party who’s like ‘No! With the time change, we get an extra hour!'” he joked. “I’m being told in my ear that it’s done, but I really feel like I’m not ready to give this up yet… I just felt like we were bonding with all these people and having a fun time, and concerts backstage… Apparently the concert is not happening. This is the word. Is this official? It’s official. It’s not happening, I’m being told over and over. It is sinking in finally. I am superbummed.”

“It’s such a shame,” Manilow told Cooper earlier. “They cut us off and threw us off the stage because they were afraid of lightning. It was getting very dangerous out there.” The singer then cued his music director to play “I Made It Through the Rain” on a keyboard over the phone, as Cooper waved his arms back and forth.

Early highlights of the show included the revelation of just what Aretha Franklin song “Respect” star Hudson was going to perform: it was “Nessun Dorma,” the operatic piece that Franklin famously sang at the Grammys on little notice when Pavarotti had to pull out. Hudson sang with the Philharmonic, as did Andrea Bocelli, who performed “You’ll Never Walk Alone” and “O Sole Mio.”

Julia Michaels and JP Saxe joined forces for their duet “If the World Was Ending.” Most of the other performers were afforded two songs apiece, including Santana, who did one number with Wyclef Jean and another with Rob Thomas. Earth Wind & Fire were joined by Lucky Daye on vocals for “You Want My Love” and Babyface guesting on guitar.

The biggest crowd response was for a (mostly) vintage rap medley, performed by what emcee DJ Cassidy described as “the Avengers of hip-hop”: LL Cool J and Rev Run (“Mama Said Knock You Out” and “It’s Tricky”), Melle Mel and Scorpio (“The Message”), Busta Rhymes and Spliff Star (“Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Can See”), French Montana, Fat Joe and Remy Ma (“All the Way Up” and “Lean Back”) and younger star A Boogie Wit da Hoodie (“Look Back on It”).

Gayle King hosted, and figures called in for introductions included Sen. Chuck Schumer and de Blasio, who called the soon-to-be-truncated event “the greatest concert in the history of New York City.”
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://news.yahoo.com/bruce-springstee ... 48401.html

‘Bruce Springsteen Was in His Dressing Room’: ‘We Love NYC’ Producer on the Effort to Keep the Concert Going

“We Love NYC: The Homecoming Concert,” the Central Park concert scheduled to be headlined by Bruce Springsteen, Paul Simon, Patti Smith and others, originally was intended to celebrate all that is unique and glorious about the city that 8 million people call home. Unfortunately, on Saturday night, that also included the region’s typical late-summer downpours.

But even by area standards, the torrents of rain that poured down were historic — according to the National Weather Service, the park experienced 1.94 inches of rainfall between 10-11 p.m., the most ever recorded in a single hour since the service started tracking such metrics 150 years ago — and, due to the danger of lightning, the park was quickly emptied of the estimated 60,000 concertgoers in attendance after brief sets from Jennifer Hudson, Carlos Santana, LL Cool J, Polo G, Andrea Bocelli, Earth Wind & Fire, Journey and Barry Manilow, among others. The above headliners never got to perform.

As the storm approached, a series of lightning-fast decisions had to be made by show producer Doug Davis as well as executive producer Clive Davis and representatives of the city, including Mayor Bill de Blasio. Just a little more than halfway into a planned five-hour show, in the middle of Barry Manilow’s performance at 7:37 p.m., the decision was made to stop the music and tell the audience to seek shelter outside the park, while concert organizers spent nearly three hours trying to figure out a way to continue the performances without a live audience but over CNN, which was broadcasting the concert live to 200 countries.

Doug Davis — who plays a key role in organizing his father Clive’s star-studded annual Grammy parties — was crossing his fingers for another band to show up: a rain-free band of weather that would allow an hour of respite, just enough time to deliver shortened sets by headliners like Springsteen, Elvis Costello, Maluma and the Killers, who were all still onsite.

“Bruce did come and was in his dressing room — he was there for a while,” Davis tells Variety. “Paul Simon lives across the street from the park, so he was in his apartment. Jimmy Fallon was in his car. We had so many people on site on standby to see if we could pull it off.”

Pulling it off would have meant moving the performances from the main stage to a VIP tent erected for guests, who were cleared out along with the audience. Davis, who was tracking the storm via satellite images on a laptop, explains, “We lost the main stage to lightning, but the VIP tent was [safe]. So on the fly, I was rejiggering the show, picking the songs, getting CNN to go commercial-free. … We all had a mentality that we had put together a once-in-a-century event and we should we should keep it going. We knew the world was watching. CNN was expecting 200 million people to tune in. We had talent on site and a window coming where we could put them on stage. We were going to try to capture it. It just closed in on us.”

Davis missed what he calls “the whole spectacle” of CNN anchors Anderson Cooper and Chloe Melas, who vamped live for the better part of three hours, but says that network chief Jeff Zucker was “over the moon” and that Cooper “was having the time of his life.” Adds Davis: “[People] said it was some of the most compelling television they ever saw.”

Certainly that’s one way to describe Gayle King FaceTiming an impromptu acoustic performance by the Killers, who played their hit 2004 “Mr. Brightside” from a backstage dressing room, live to the world. In a sense, it seems the talent wanted just as badly to take the stage in whatever way they could. That turned the concert “into its own legend,” says Davis, noting that the two hours and 37 minutes that did take place “was phenomenal for what it was — nobody left hungry.” In fact, there was a group of attendees that stayed close until the very end, chanting “NYC” defiantly.

So was there a contingency plan? Organizers had a “rain or shine” policy, but lightning was another matter. “I was with the mayor on the stage when we saw the lightning, and we knew it wasn’t going to be safe,” he says, pointing to $50 million of video screens and production equipment and the dozens of crew tasked with breaking down the production.

If anything, Davis’ own walk exiting the park late that night, after thanking the crew, musicians and staff — during which he waded through knee-high water — proved the freak storm was in itself something New Yorkers experience once in 100 years. “We left after 11 p.m. and rivers of brown water were coming through — a flash flood of epic proportions,” he says.

On Sunday morning, Davis says he woke up with an “empty feeling of sadness.” Reflecting on the many weeks and countless hours that went into planning and staging the event, he adds: “We really were putting on Woodstock. We were there to give the greatest concert of all time. And it was memorable. It was a moment that nobody will ever forget. And for that, I’m really proud.”