on track… Elvis Costello and the Attractions (paperback), July 29, 2021

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

on track… Elvis Costello and the Attractions (paperback), July 29, 2021

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elvis-Costello ... 942&sr=8-2

Elvis Costello And The Attractions: Every Album, Every Song (On Track) Paperback
29 July 2021
by Georg Purvis (Author)

Whether you know him as Howard Coward, Napoleon Dynamite, or the Emotional Toothpaste, and are familiar with his work with the Attractions, the Confederates, or the Imposters, Elvis Costello s career has always been about reinvention and his vast catalogue of over 30 studio albums since 1977 is a testament to his prolificacy. However, this book focuses on his most acclaimed and accessible work, recorded mostly with The Attractions (Steve Nieve, Pete Thomas, and Bruce Thomas) between 1977 and 1986, though some other high-profile friends Nick Lowe, Billy Sherrill, and T-Bone Burnett, among others show up along the way. From his modest solo beginnings as a pub rocker with attitude on My Aim Is True to his cacophonous epitaph to The Attractions on Blood and Chocolate, this book follows a hectic and, at times, baffling career trajectory that often steamrolled commercial fame and fortune in favour of artistic freedom and expression. Elvis Costello and The Attractions On Track explores every album, every song, and every non-album B-side or contemporary cast-off from their all-too-brief whirlwind decade of existence.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Re: on track… Elvis Costello and the Attractions (paperback), July 29, 2021

Post by johnfoyle »

George Purvis has written on this forum using the name Lester Burnham

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB2 ... lit=Purvis
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

This f---ing guy says he did the book because after his Queen and Pink Floyd books he was "looking for who I'd write about next," THEN goes on to say that he got interested in EC after hearing When I Was Cruel.(!) He heard This Year's Model for the first time in 2002. I stopped listening at that point. What does this dilettante have to teach anyone who frequents this site? Ridiculous.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

You're joking , right ?

No new fans allowed , seems to be your basic argument.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

You can hear George Purvis talking about his passion for Elvis in the Dangerous Amusements podcast. Definitely not a dilettante!

https://anchor.fm/stu-arrowsmith/episod ... is-e135ma2
WallyRando

Post by WallyRando »

I'm feeling defensive because I was about 18 at the time and got into our boy through.... When I Was Cruel. Saw them play the video to Radio, Radio on 120 Minutes on MTV2 and went straight to his latest album.

It's funny to think of myself as a newer fan having been immersed in Elvis for the 20 years since.

Whatever you think of that, I'll find it interesting just to see another person's interpretations of the songs.
JPadoo

Post by JPadoo »

FAN (stressing FAN) tastic interview with G. Purvis. Just by his song selections, from Jack of all Parades to In Another Room, show he’s a true fan of the man. No dilettante there.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Cool. I’ve always liked Lester’s posts. I’ll have to check this out.
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

So, let me get this right, Despite being billed as a book about 'Elvis Costello and the Attractions' (and featuring only 70s/80s LPs on the cover), this book actually covers all LPs (including solo/Imposters/whatever), up to and including...?

Or have I just misread all the references to WIWC, 'In Another Room' and so on?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

The book covers the first 11 albums (from My Aim Is True till Blood & Chocolate), despite the fact that My Aim Is True and King Of America are without the Attractions.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
WindUpWorld

Post by WindUpWorld »

I thought the author sounded ok in the interview, heart in right place an’all with a different generational route into EC’s music. Did wonder if the book might not have a huge deal new to say to me but then I have gathered an inordinate amount of knowledge of the topic, as my family would be quick to wryly point out. If such a thing as browsing in bookshops comes back I’ll check it out.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Very readable. Dipping into it I didn't find any obvious errors or outlandish, jarring opinions. Beyond mentioning sources in the text there aren't any footnotes and related notation, making the text very free flowing. A very tidy synthesis of different accounts. Recommended for new fans & old.
krm

Post by krm »

johnfoyle wrote:Very readable. Dipping into it I didn't find any obvious errors or outlandish, jarring opinions. Beyond mentioning sources in the text there aren't any footnotes and related notation, making the text very free flowing. A very tidy synthesis of different accounts. Recommended for new fans & old.
are there any nice photos?
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

Is the book primarily about the music, offering informed dissection of the songs along the lines of Franklin Bruno’s excellent treatment of “Armed Forces?” Because that’s why I’d be after - an exploration of why/how a given song or album works or doesn’t work, with whatever social and biographical context is required to shed light on the work.
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Lots of nice photos and 'informed dissection ' is an excellent description of the content. Dipping in again today I read lots that I had forgotten. Aspects of songs are discussed with reference to a mass of sources , from immediately contemporary to some very deep-dive material . Very impressive.
krm

Post by krm »

johnfoyle wrote:Lots of nice photos and 'informed dissection ' is an excellent description of the content. Dipping in again today I read lots that I had forgotten. Aspects of songs are discussed with reference to a mass of sources , from immediately contemporary to some very deep-dive material . Very impressive.
I guess i have to get a copy. Thanks.
millaa

Post by millaa »

sweetest punch wrote:The book covers the first 11 albums (from My Aim Is True till Blood & Chocolate), despite the fact that My Aim Is True and King Of America are without the Attractions.
I assume there is a volume 2 at some point then...

My copy arrived today.