'45' video - the 'diner' alternate version

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

'45' video - the 'diner' alternate version

Post by johnfoyle »

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x74k9 ... A3jRymJ1ck

Its 'geo restricted' ie. cannot be watched in Europe.

The other, more accesible, version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPZkldKk1WA

Elvis wrote about these videos when he had a online journal in 2002 -

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... _2.2C_2002

Director, Jesse Dylan and I had dreamt up the scenario back over the telephone and by e-mail. He had managed to assemble the crew and find the ideal location in a matter of days. This turned out to be the small town of Rowley, close to Salem. The original idea was to make a short silent movie that would be accompanied by the song “45”.

I portrayed a man dressed in a stovepipe hat, tails, white gloves and an evening coat, looking like a shorter Abraham Lincoln. I was also pushing a shopping cart full of clocks through town. In the film, the population gradually relieve me of my stock of clocks and the contents of my suitcase. Eventually, just on the edge of town, I encounter three children who would demand my coat, my hat and my shoes. I have to say the people of Rowley, who were recruited for these roles, took to them with dedication and some relish. Hardly any of the cast had any theatrical experience but they stuck with the inevitable multiple takes and coverage from a variety of angles with patience and fortitude despite the decreasing temperatures.

We began at the end. On the road out of town I passed another featured player, a cow being walked to the milking shed. Three local children did an excellent job of the final scene with just a few well-chosen words from Jesse.
We did not commence filming until the late afternoon, so that Francis, the cameraman, could give the appearance of twilight and night as the story progressed. We continued filming throughout the evening, first in the driveway of a house and then on the forecourt of a service station and convenience store.

By now we had assembled a cast of twenty or thirty people, including sparkling cameo appearances by Paddy Callaghan, who looks after our security and the members of The Impostors. After a while it seemed as if the rest of the town was driving by to watch the filming, the local newspaper sent a photographer to cover the story and it was apparently reported on the local radio station. At about 11pm the manager of the local ice-cream parlour sent one of his young staff to say that he would open up specially to offer us refreshments.

The elaborate timing of these forecourt scenes required more takes than expected and word reached us that the manageress of our final location, the Agawam Diner, was getting anxious to close. As I was not needed in the last shot at the service station, I rode over to the diner with the producer, Danyi, to crave their indulgence for a short while longer.

I can only imagine how I must have appeared, in my now quite bedraggled costume, as I entered the vintage diner. I met with the two delightful gals behind the counter, Ethyl and Elaine, who told me that they had known bad experiences with film crews who say that want to film and then never turn up. I assured them that would not be the case and soon the place was full of forty cast and crew ordering coffee and pie.
While everyone took a short break, Jesse set up the camera behind the counter and we very casually shot an entirely different version of the video which consisted of me singing the song at my place at the counter while various members of the cast took turns in the adjacent seats and did whatever Jesse directed them to do or what ever came into their head; “explain” the menu to me, tell me about their holiday, drum on the counter, try to steal my lemon meringue pie. I made sure that Ethyl and Elaine made appearances along with the stars of previous scenes.

Nevertheless, once everyone was restored we continued with the original story. Out in the parking lot I was to encounter more townspeople, who remove the last of the clocks and a cheerleader, who has to settle for a drawing of the clock. Then an angry prom-queen runs off with the cart itself and I have my final confrontation with a gang of skateboarders who demand the contents of my suitcase only to be rewarded with a prison uniform, a cavalry jacket and a pink tutu. The Agawam diner finally closed at 2.15am and we wrapped up the filming at about quarter to three.

When it was all cut together it was apparent that we actually had two films for the price of one, the original story about the clocks and a funny sequence of performances in the diner. Who knows where or when or if you will ever see either one of them on your favourite video music channel. Nevertheless, I have to say that everyone involved from Jesse and the crew to the people of Rowley and the even the local cow, (with assistance of the “cow-wrangler”, if that is the word), hit their marks better than I could have imagined. It was a rare experience in itself to visit a small town in America and have this kind of fine adventure.

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... GCbk0WvOjA

Emily Moment, on the cover of ‘Cruel Smile’ (2002), which features a still from the '45' video, has been based in London in recent times and has released a really good album, ‘The Party’s Over’

https://emilymoment.bandcamp.com/

johnfoyle

Re: '45' video - the 'diner' alternate version

Post by johnfoyle »

Hawksmoor

Re: '45' video - the 'diner' alternate version

Post by Hawksmoor »

Thanks John, that's a fascinating piece. But here's a thing. If Elvis wrote that (or typed it) himself...in the course of the piece, he spells 'Impostors' correctly!