Blood and Chocolate Survivor - Round 4

Pretty self-explanatory
kosi559

Post by kosi559 »

So sorry for the long break. This was by far the longest break we have had in a Survivor and I apologize. I will try to keep this updated daily from now on.
Next Time 'Round is out. This has always been one of my favorites from side two, so I'm sad to see it go.

VOTE A SONG OUT HERE
https://strawpoll.com/wy5u5968j

SONGS IN
SIDE ONE
- Uncomplicated
- I Hope You're Happy Now
- Tokyo Storm Warning
- Home is Anywhere You Hang Your Head
- I Want You
SIDE TWO
- Blue Chair
- Battered Old Bird
- Crimes of Paris

SONGS OUT
Rank Song Votes Percentage
11th Honey, Are You Straight Or Are You Blind? 27/65 41.5%
10th Poor Napoleon 13/64 20.3%
9th Next Time 'Round 13/69 18.8%
"Can't you see? My band is up there."
Neil.

Re: Blood and Chocolate Survivor - Round 4

Post by Neil. »

Wow - that's a real shocker. Next Time Round was possibly gonna be my number one song from this album - thought of course it's very difficult with this solid-gold classic set of songs.

As Sheep To The Slaughter once mentioned, the bass in the chorus owes a debt to 'Substitute' by Clout - one of the best one-hit wonders of all time - although admittedly it's a bit dated in terms of the sexual politics.

If anyone doesn't know it, here it is. Feel the glow of recognition when the chorus comes in - it's very 'Next Time Round':

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4l8rnf

Stick with the song - the middle 8 is a corker!

Nx
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Shocked by this early exit of Next Time 'Round. In my top 5 songs on this album.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Ditto, although I’d put it in my top 1.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Yeah, it was defo a contender for me, Verbal. Wonder what I'll pick now... actually, I know. It's a toss up between two.

Kosi, no need to apologise - it's your poll and thanks for setting it up.
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Ditto, although I’d put it in my top 1.
I agree Verbal.
There have been some shocking early exits in these polls but this one is the strangest in my book. Clearly some fans appreciate different things in EC’s music than I do!!
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Fishfinger king wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote:Ditto, although I’d put it in my top 1.
I agree Verbal.
There have been some shocking early exits in these polls but this one is the strangest in my book. Clearly some fans appreciate different things in EC’s music than I do!!

Not my number one though I very much doubt if my choice will get in top half .....
but this is such a buoyant song from the a cappella opening to the bouncy Attractions accompaniment that it sounds absurd not to be much further up the poll-
ah, well, it's time to stop (under 40s, pick a creed, nation or sex of your choice) from voting and only let VG, Neil and FFK vote from now on :wink:
plasticman6

Post by plasticman6 »

Hello, Next Time Round always seemed lightweight to me. But I admit I'm not the sharpest crayon in the box when it comes to understanding Elvis' lyrics. Can any of you who seem to hold the song in high esteem elaborate on why, lyrically, you hold it in such high esteem?
As I stepped out upon the landing my heart was already down the stairs
She's in the bedroom with that boy of hers
Though her face is creased and her eyes seem strange
There's a second-hand emotion on battered forty-five
My tears were never enough to keep that girl alive
Now she seems contrite, will she make the change

Chorus:
The next time 'round
The next time 'round
You'll be someone else's baby
But I'll be underground
The next time 'round

Then you took two steps forward and then one step on your back
Now it's a future for me and you that I lack
You'll be the one who'll stands out in the dark
Even when you're all dressed in black

(Chorus)

You've got something I want now
And I've got something I can't hide
I've got too much love for you now
Have you got too much pride

Sometimes I name and number all the things you gave to me
Your elastic love, this velvet-lined purgatory
You used to take the breath out of me
Now I think you'll be the death of me

(Chorus)

The next time 'round
The next time 'round
You'll be in some sputnik, baby
But I'll be underground
The next time 'round
The next time 'round
It's about a guy with an unfaithful wife/girlfriend and he's threatening to kill himself, right? Is there some worplay or double mening I'm missing?
jardine

Post by jardine »

Well, "I Second That Emotion? If you feel like giving me a lifetime of devotion, now battered [on a round and round old 45 -- which is also a gun]? Followed by the tears of this clown? The image of being on the landing and your heart already being longer gone? Standing out in the dark even if you're dressed in black? I'll be underground -- what? Dead ['youll be the death of me', and 'take the breath out of me' is breathless at someone's beauty or also out worked in bed or elsewhere, or, again, death], or untraceable or underground radio...?

And it is a guy breaking up with someone.
What's not to love??
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

I always thought Next Time Round would have made a good single. Blood and Chocolate is a great album very hard to vote one out
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

plasticman6 wrote:Hello, Next Time Round always seemed lightweight to me. But I admit I'm not the sharpest crayon in the box when it comes to understanding Elvis' lyrics. Can any of you who seem to hold the song in high esteem elaborate on why, lyrically, you hold it in such high esteem?

It's about a guy with an unfaithful wife/girlfriend and he's threatening to kill himself, right? Is there some worplay or double mening I'm missing?
I don't think you're missing anything - apart from what a great pop song it is!

That opening line is a total classic, it puts you in the picture straight away. And the way the song crashes in after that is awesome.

Some of the lines are great - 'sometimes I name and number all the things you gave to me - your elastic love, this velvet-line purgatory' (immediately followed by a blissed out organ riff from Steve), and as Jardine said, that breath out of me/death of me line is great. Ditto standing out in the dark even when she's all dressed in black, and the innuendo on 'I've got something I can't hide'.

And how can you not love the incredibly joyous melody, the triumphal bass riff (it is the bass playing that, isn't it?), the swirling organ - and that vocal melisma on 'ro-o-o-o-ound'?!!! And the incredible energy of the singing on the chorus returns at the end.

I agree with Sheep, if this had been a single, it could have brought Elvis back big-time. The follow-up single should've been Blue Chair (album version).
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Neil. wrote:
plasticman6 wrote:Hello, Next Time Round always seemed lightweight to me. But I admit I'm not the sharpest crayon in the box when it comes to understanding Elvis' lyrics. Can any of you who seem to hold the song in high esteem elaborate on why, lyrically, you hold it in such high esteem?

I don't think you're missing anything - apart from what a great pop song it is!

That opening line is a total classic, it puts you in the picture straight away. And the way the song crashes in after that is awesome.

Some of the lines are great - 'sometimes I name and number all the things you gave to me - your elastic love, this velvet-line purgatory' (immediately followed by a blissed out organ riff from Steve), and as Jardine said, that breath out of me/death of me line is great. Ditto standing out in the dark even when she's all dressed in black, and the innuendo on 'I've got something I can't hide'.

And how can you not love the incredibly joyous melody, the triumphal bass riff (it is the bass playing that, isn't it?), the swirling organ - and that vocal melisma on 'ro-o-o-o-ound'?!!! And the incredible energy of the singing on the chorus returns at the end.

I agree with Sheep, if this had been a single, it could have brought Elvis back big-time. The follow-up single should've been Blue Chair (album version).
Perfect summation Neil, it sounds positively the most joyous of all Elvis' songs with such a wonderful lilting tune all the way through and Bruce's playing as a counterpoint on "You've Got Something That I Want" is astounding. Hard to believe that the band was "falling apart" when you hear this being played - just like the amazing rapport apparent on "You tripped At Every Step" on Brutal Youth - you can't hide that musical empathy even when yo're all loathing each other ( allegedly!)
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

sulky lad wrote:Bruce's playing as a counterpoint on "You've Got Something That I Want" is astounding.
Another great reason to love this amazing romp of a song. It should be a worldwide classic!
rightbrain

Post by rightbrain »

Late chiming in here, but "Next Time 'Round" is actually my favorite song on Blood & Chocolate, and easily in my own personal "EC Top 20." For all of the reasons mentioned . . . and a few more. Namely, I love that young Declan's Catholic upbringing finds its way into the sensibility of the line: "Now she seems contrite, (but) will she make the change?" As any schoolboy who took a Catechism class would know, the Sacrament of Penance (Confession) not only requires being contrite ("Act of Contrition"), but that is not enough. For the Sacrament to be valid, you must also have a firm "Purpose of Amendment," which is the intention to "make the change" in your behavior to not commit the confessed sin again. Without an intention to "make the change," the contrition (sorrow) is never enough (to keep that girl alive). And for good measure, "Purgatory" gets a name-check!

Speaking of melismatic runs . . . how many syllables are we treated to on the word "Cha-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-nge?" Seven? Fantastic!

"I also like the call back to "Kid About It." You used to take the breath out of me" . . . "So he bit his tongue and tried hard to capture his breath."

Masterpiece?
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

rightbrain wrote:Masterpiece?
Masterpiece.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Neil. wrote:
rightbrain wrote:Masterpiece?
Masterpiece.