New song "Phonographic Memory", August 28, 2020

Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

New song "Phonographic Memory", August 28, 2020

Post by And No Coffee Table »

https://www.elviscostello.com/#!/news/299329

ELVIS COSTELLO’S AUGUST SURPRISE

“At Least The Emperor Nero Had An Ear For Music But That’s History”

August 28th sees the surprise delivery of Elvis Costello’s “Phonographic Memory”, described as “the B-Side of the recently released, “We Are All Cowards Now””. This new release will be available due entirely to the miracle of digital download or streaming.

“Phonographic Memory” imagines a post-war ceremony involving an archive recording of the voice of Orson Welles and someone identified only as, “President Swift”.

Here is an extract from this futuristic tale:

“After the peace was negotiated and the internet switched off, knowledge returned to its medieval cloister, in this and that illuminated volume, the jealous possession of the pious and the superstitious, who might once again wield ignorance like a scythe.”

The recording takes the form of a short story recited over an open-tuned acoustic guitar soundtrack and as such is unique in Costello’s recorded catalogue.

“Phonographic Memory” will only be available in this “B-Side” edition, in the tradition of “My Funny Valentine”, “Big Tears” and “Hoover Factory” just a few of Costello’s acclaimed B-sides of yesteryear.

“They’re draping stones with colours and a roll of stolen names except those we never cared about and those we need to blame”

These lines come from “We Are All Cowards Now”, the last of three Helsinki Sound recordings that will be found on Costello’s forthcoming album “Hey Clockface”, which will be released on October 30th.

‘Phonographic Memory’ Available Now

Look out for the next installment of this intriguing story on September 11th.

Listen To ‘Phonographic Memory’

Top balcony

Re: New song "Phonographic Memory", August 28, 2020

Post by Top balcony »

Hi Elvis, thanks very much for this 'reverse birthday present' to us!!! Loving the short story at the heart of this track. Clockface is shaping up to be an eclectic ( son of Spike ! ) release. A welcome antidote for some of us to Look Now. This is a brave release which I hope achieves some commercial success, beyond the fandom purchases of vinyl and signed coloured shoe leather 'exclusive' bundles.
Colin Top Balcony
jardine

Post by jardine »

Well, good morning. I'm frankly stunned by this. I find it utterly spellbinding, timely, and horribly beautiful.

A B-Side, eh [a call out to fellow Canadians, eh]? If this counts as a B-Side, roll on 'round clockfaces.

Just noted again, "a plain song of her acceptance."
Last edited by jardine on Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

And let’s not forget the next instalment on 11th September.

Incidentally, in the UK instalment is spelt with one “l”. Is it spelt with two in the US? That’s at least twice It has been spelt with two “l”s so I’m wondering if Elvis needs a new proofreader.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
jardine

Post by jardine »

Seems its two in US and one otherwise, w. both spelings being common in commonweallth countries outside UK. [sorry, sillly joke. not yet 6 AM here....yawn]. I'm so happy about this song, just the sheer fact of its arrival and the portend of a seam of creative liquids. Very juicy Happy Birthday to him and me!

Oh, and, I love the illustrated tape splicing hand and the image of "pearl and pillar box red."
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Blimey - son of 'A Town Called Big Nothing'!
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Neil. wrote:Blimey - son of 'A Town Called Big Nothing'!
Exactly my first thoughts Neil.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
verbal gymnastics

And mine.

The opening also reminded me of Withered and Died.
jardine

Post by jardine »

So, is this a paris thing w. bill fris. [is that right, Frisell in paris?]? or ec playing guitar??
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

jardine wrote:So, is this a paris thing w. bill fris. [is that right, Frisell in paris?]? or ec playing guitar??
Bill Frisell was in New York. This seems to be EC on guitar.
ELVIS COSTELLO, Guitar, Vocals, Recording Engineer, MainArtist, AssociatedPerformer, StudioPersonnel, ComposerLyricist
A Lens O’Toole Focus, Producer, Recording Producer

℗ 2020 Elvis Costello, Under exclusive license to Concord Records. Distributed by Concord.
This is not EC's first mention of "President Swift." He called Taylor Swift "our future President" five years ago.

https://twitter.com/elviscostello/statu ... 5168952321
jardine

Post by jardine »

Thanks ANCT.

Always so interesting when a fictional tale is told that runs parallel enough to the world to be frightening and spookily familiar, but not quite. Just like EC said that faceinthecrowd is not "about" contemporary american politics.

Also, seems Tannoy should have been capitalized.
fred darden

Post by fred darden »

Don't know, kinda like xerox(for a photocopy) or band aid (for an adhesive gauze strip) in the states. Trademarked items that have become acceptable colloquialisms.
fred darden

Post by fred darden »

Oh,yeah. Forgot to mention, think the song would fit with face in the crowd, maybe not musically, but topically.
jardine

Post by jardine »

fd, yes, topically, right in line.

That capitalized name is for a British loudspeaker company [according to the google-eye]
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

nice guitar work....a middle Eastern feel to this ex Armenian dancer. :lol:
love his forays into pushing envelopes...THE KING!!
jardine

Post by jardine »

just listened through the recent pile of four songs.
oh my...
Feel once again like I bet on the right horse 43 years ago...
lucky us, eh? All four are a rush of spiked nailings of our current incendiary, isolated, interrelated circumstances, without quite saying exactly so in so many words.... A relief from social isolation. Some help in lifting some weight, some dark...

Anyway, yes, early morning silliness again. And again, from the Rocky Mountain foothills, great cheers.
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

jardine wrote:Feel once again like I bet on the right horse 43 years ago....
Couldn't agree more. Love the spikiness of the last few releases, while chuckling inside knowing that there will be tracks on the LP that go in completely the opposite direction. Love the out-there lunacy of 'Phonographic Memory' and love that he continues to push boundaries at every turn. And I really love the return to the madly prolific Elvis that we adored for so long.

Sure, I get that the recent quietness on the recorded front (c2013-2017) was due to a focus on live performance and trying to get A Face in the Crowd off the ground. But this Elvis - furiously pumping out new, original material in whatever format he can think of - this is the Elvis I love. Cards on the table, who else has a back-catalogue this gargantuan, and this varied? He could put his feet up now and still be regarded as the greatest recording artist of the last 50 years.

But he ploughs on. 'Phonographic Memory' is uniquely Elvis Costello, but simultaneously unlike anything he's recorded before - a pretty neat trick after 43 years. And his idea of providing 'B-sides' for internet-only singles is laugh-out-loud good. He's stepped up to the plate once again to remind us all why we are on this forum.
fred darden

Post by fred darden »

bronxapostle wrote:nice guitar work....a middle Eastern feel to this ex Armenian dancer. :lol:
Ex Armenian or ex dancer? :?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

fred darden wrote:
bronxapostle wrote:nice guitar work....a middle Eastern feel to this ex Armenian dancer. :lol:
Ex Armenian or ex dancer? :?
:D :D how about this phrasing?...AS A ONE TIME ARMENIAN DANCER.
i ofttimes am the least grammatically correct apostle.
well stated Jardine and Hawksmoor. WE ALL SELECTED WISELY 43 YEARS BACK!
and i say because it was all there CLEARLY upon the glorious wall of MY AIM IS TRUE!
verbal gymnastics

Hawksmoor - I wholeheartedly agree with your comment about the B sides for internet only. It’s the sort of thing Stiff would have come up with.

The song also reminds me of How Joe Soap Got Into Everyone and the great setting to music of Anna Pasternak’s Princess In Love back in 1994 as the intro music.

Must admit though - I’m not a great fan of this, as clever as it is. Maybe it will grow on me.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Hawksmoor - I wholeheartedly agree with your comment about the B sides for internet only. It’s the sort of thing Stiff would have come up with.

The song also reminds me of How Joe Soap Got Into Everyone and the great setting to music of Anna Pasternak’s Princess In Love back in 1994 as the intro music.

Must admit though - I’m not a great fan of this, as clever as it is. Maybe it will grow on me.
IT'S A B SIDE :lol: :lol: :lol: better than an LP track we already have!!! best, ba
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

Pushing the enveloppe - all the way back to the late 1960s :lol:

Reminds me of some Eric Burdon and the Animals Stuff ('The Black Plague', 'Man/Woman'), or even Boudewijn de Groot ('Heksensabbath').
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

"Confederate money
Stashed in plinths in various toppled statues"

Unless he is Notradamus, this feels extremely contemporary. I wonder what was the timescale of writing and recording?

( Colson's statue was tipped into Bristol Harbour on 7th June 2020 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-52955868 )

Colin Top Balcony
jardine

Post by jardine »

Looks like May 31st for first American parallels. Birmingham Alabama, May 31st.

Given this:
"They bartered it on a Mississippi square with the irony and arrogance of victors. "

Given the phrase "Mississippi square," [an old slave auction square?] i'd guess this:

first statue taken down in state of mississippi, andrew jackson statue, July 7
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Maybe its just me this isnt very good and I doubt I will bothered listening to it again