Armed Forces Survivor - Round 2

Pretty self-explanatory
kosi559

Post by kosi559 »

Sorry for the unexpected one day break. I forgot to set a reminder on my phone for the survivor, and forgot about it for the rest of the day. I will try to not let that happen again.

To the surprise of nobody, Sunday's Best is out. Elvis fans have always said that this was the worst song on the album, and I can see why they think that. The instrumental is really goofy and sounds like a carnival, and the waltz aspect is not fitting. I personally like the song because it is slightly catchy, and the lyrics critique England well (which is why it was left off of the American version of the album), but I agree that it is the worst song on the album.

VOTE A SONG OUT HERE
https://strawpoll.com/j2j8rox9g

SONGS IN

SIDE ONE

Accidents Will Happen

Senior Service

Oliver's Army

Big Boys

Green Shirt

Party Girl

SIDE TWO

Goon Squad

Busy Bodies

Moods for Moderns

Chemistry Class

Two Little Hitlers

(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding

SONGS OUT

Rank Song Votes Percentage
13th Sunday's Best 18/71 25.4%
"Can't you see? My band is up there."
verbal gymnastics

Re: Armed Forces Survivor - Round 2

Post by verbal gymnastics »

This is a difficult one because it’s such a good album. No surprise with Sunday’s Best though.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

verbal gymnastics wrote:This is a difficult one because it’s such a good album. No surprise with Sunday’s Best though.
I find it funny that loads of people think it's the worst - imagine people voting off "Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite " from Sgt. Pepper over say "Fixing a Hole". To me it's a sublime example of Steve's wizardry and Elvis at his political. critical best, besides being so accurate about the adverts in English Sunday tabloids "Stylish slacks to suit your pocket" what a play on the trousers/suits subject for example. I'm truly mortified that this went out before Senior Service, Moods For Moderns, Chemistry Class and Two Little Hitlers :(
Harry Lime

Post by Harry Lime »

For those of us in the States, we heard Sunday's Best on Taking Liberties, where it seemed to be a better fit. I think it's a good song, but doesn't really feel like it's part of Armed Forces.
Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I think I'm right in saying that 'Sunday's Best' was written with Ian Dury in mind, and you can totally see this being on New Boots and Panties album. I think it's a great satirical song, and the waltz vibe with the sarcastic litany of horrors in the lyrics makes it a success, I'd say! But it's hard to get emotionally involved with cos it's such a pisstake - but he's not trying to tug your heartstrings here, it's a song for the mind and the funnybone rather than the heart.

I didn't vote it out first!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Neil. wrote:I think I'm right in saying that 'Sunday's Best' was written with Ian Dury in mind, and you can totally see this being on New Boots and Panties album. I think it's a great satirical song, and the waltz vibe with the sarcastic litany of horrors in the lyrics makes it a success, I'd say! But it's hard to get emotionally involved with cos it's such a pisstake - but he's not trying to tug your heartstrings here, it's a song for the mind and the funnybone rather than the heart.

I didn't vote it out first!

I always dug its oddball slant lots and THANK YOU Neil for the Ian Dury comparison. So spot on and surprised it never caught me that way these 40 years. I remember being greatly saddened when i missed it just a couple tours back. Into Polythene Pam i think???