Elvis self-harmony: best example

Pretty self-explanatory
Neil.

Elvis self-harmony: best example

Post by Neil. »

I just listened to Brilliant Mistake.

His self-harmony on 'I was a fine idea at the time' x2 at the end is the best thing ever.

Any challengers?
krm

Re: Elvis self-harmony: best example

Post by krm »

From head to toe, maybe?
WindUpWorld

Post by WindUpWorld »

Blue Chair (single version) has a fine chorus of little Elvises as does You Tripped At Every Step.
plasticman6

Post by plasticman6 »

All of Get Happy!!?
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Oooh yes re Get Happy! I particularly love the shouty backing vocals on King Horse - and the switch between the main vocals with the backing vocals at the end of Love for Tender!
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

WindUpWorld wrote:Blue Chair (single version) has a fine chorus of little Elvises as does You Tripped At Every Step.
Yeah - I've always had a problem with the single version of Blue Chair. It's such perfect slice of bouncy pop on the album version, that the subsequent deconstruction and reconstruction of the song has always sat badly with me.

In a parallel universe, I think if he'd released the album version of 'Blue Chair' as the lead single off Blood and Choc, it would have been massive. Tokyo Storm Warning was played a fair bit on the radio, but never managed to be a hit.

I think Blue Chair bouncing out of the radio would have done the business.

Possibly 'Next Time Round' would have been massive, too. It's such an attention-grabbing song, with that incredible lyrical fanfare of an opening: 'As I stepped out upon the landing, my heart was already down the stairs.'

Equally, I think if 'Man Out of Time' had been the first single off Imperial Bedroom', it would have been massive.

But what the hell do I know?!!!
WindUpWorld

Post by WindUpWorld »

Got to admit Neil that somehow the single version of Blue Chair got to me before the LP version and remains my preference for the song. Sure it had the kitchen sink thrown in to the production but at least it birthed the whole of Kojak Variety!
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

WindUpWorld wrote:Got to admit Neil that somehow the single version of Blue Chair got to me before the LP version and remains my preference for the song. Sure it had the kitchen sink thrown in to the production but at least it birthed the whole of Kojak Variety!
Fair enough! There's room for everyone's opinion. I think it's a really interesting reinvention but for me it takes the joyousness and swing out of the melody. It feels too busy for me in the single version, but still, it has a lot going for it, nonetheless! He obviously enjoyed remaking it with the choir of little Elvises!
Mr. Getgood

Post by Mr. Getgood »

So Like Candy has some killer self-harmonies running through it. Especially the choruses and the middle section (“I remember the day that that picture was taken...”), continuing into the more reflective part (“She just can’t face the day...”) and then finishing off with the call-and-response parts in the outro.
I love you just as much as I hate your guts.