This Year's Model Survivor - Results

Pretty self-explanatory
kosi559

Post by kosi559 »

The winner is... This Year's Girl!!! This is a stellar track, and I'm glad to see it win, even though I personally preferred No Action. It really is one of his greatest songs and is evidence to anyone getting into Elvis that they should not just focus on the singles and look at his albums.
This survivor is already over, and in retrospect, it was the worst one. It was the one where I finally noticed the cheating, there were many breaks, we had to switch polling platforms, the turnout decreased. Despite all of this, I am happy with the results and highly look forward to the next album survivor. We can start fresh. We are one step closer to the battle of the winners, and I cannot wait.

RESULTS

Rank Song Votes Percentage
13th Night Rally 23/69 33.3%
12th Living in Paradise 15/59 25.4%
11th You Belong to Me 43/103 41.7%
10th Lipstick Vogue 18/78 23.1%
10th Little Triggers 18/78 23.1%
8th Hand in Hand 19/77 24.7%
7th Radio, Radio 31/86 36.0%
6th (I Don't Want to) Chelsea 44/112 39.3%
5th Lip Service 24/64 37.5%
4th The Beat 14/37 37.8%
3rd Pump it Up 17/40 42.5%
2nd No Action 24/47 51.1%
1st This Year's Girl 23/47 49.9%

WINNERS

Album Song Votes Percentage
My Aim is True (U.S.) Watching the Detectives 51/145 35.2%
My Aim is True (U.K.) (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes n/a n/a
This Year's Model This Year's Girl 23/47 49.9%
Get Happy!! King Horse 21/54 38.9%
Imperial Bedroom Beyond Belief 28/62 45.2%
"Can't you see? My band is up there."
Neil.

Re: This Year's Model Survivor - Results

Post by Neil. »

Thanks, Kosi!

Well, what a surprise! It's a great song, but I never thought I'd see it win.

I was voting Lip Service out from day one, but it hung on, much to my amazement.

I was fully expecting Lipstick Vogue to win, which to me is the most dazzling track on the album, with its thunderous pace, clattering drumming, thrumming bass and incredible urgency, based, according to legend, on the sound of the train rattling along on the Metropolitan line (a London train line).

I expected Pump It Up and Chelsea to join it in the top 3, being two Elvis classic singles.

Amazed that Night Rally was the first one to fall! I LOVE that song so much, it's heartbreaking. 'Singing in the showers' is one of the most heartstopping moments in all of Elvis's amazing catalogue.

I also wanted The Beat to be one of the contenders - what a great funky vibe, possibly the most epic song on the album, starting out with that classic pisstake of Cliff Richard, undercutting Cliff's sunny lyric with a dark joke about vigilantes.
jardine

Post by jardine »

This dismembering of albums, limb from limb. Hmm. Every song that is eliminated makes the remaning song list look worse and worse. This "winner," standing alone, is, for me, full of the grief of the loss of its surroundings. "If I'm gonna go down, you're gonna come with me." Without this line, This Year's Girl make less sense to me.

In other words, I don't like this process much. I find it agonizing. Just ignore it, right? Yep. However, I'm still fascinating by what the draw is, this drawing and quartering. Help. What is it about this that folks enjoy? I really don't understand.

Sorry if this seems to glum. It's not as if I don't appreciate the effort, etc.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

jardine wrote:What is it about this that folks enjoy? I really don't understand.
For me it's the geeky fascination with seeing what people's favourite track of all is. Yes, it's an inexact science, but still - just a bit of fun really. Fans are forever making lists, it's all part of the geekery.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I’m definitely a leave it rather than take it kind of guy on these things. There’s no science to it.

As a famous singer/songwriter once wrote

It’s not a matter of life or death
What is? What is?

(Ignore the next lines of the song!)
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
jardine

Post by jardine »

I'm all for folks having a bit of fun. 8) :lol:
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Neil. wrote:
jardine wrote:What is it about this that folks enjoy? I really don't understand.
For me it's the geeky fascination with seeing what people's favourite track of all is. Yes, it's an inexact science, but still - just a bit of fun really. Fans are forever making lists, it's all part of the geekery.
I wouldn't dream of making lists of things related to EC :oops: :oops: :shock:
jardine

Post by jardine »

i actually still have a beatles songs list that i used to type out [top ten in red]...it is the list where i added by hand in ink the new songs from Rubber Soul. So we're talking late December 1965/early January 1966. I do remember it being a form of dedication to them, a way to think about them --hell, adore them -- over and above listening to the lps and singles. I'd carry the list around, take it out when school got dull, and circle songs and move them up or down and then, that night, re-type .... :|