New song "No Flag" released June 5, 2020

Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

New song "No Flag" released June 5, 2020

Post by And No Coffee Table »

If it's already June 5 where you live, these links should work now. If it's still June 4, wait until midnight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSXxGL2ynVk
https://open.spotify.com/album/5gzLfTlrX7LHMdvrrFm7bJ

Credits from YouTube:
Producer, Recording Producer, Associated Performer, Vocals, Drums, Guitar, Organ, Bass Guitar: Elvis Costello
Studio Personnel, Recording Engineer: Eetu Seppälä
Composer, Lyricist: Elvis Costello

Presumably recorded in Finland in February.
sweetest punch

Re: New song "No Flag" released June 5, 2020

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.elviscostello.com/#!/news/299203

ELVIS COSTELLO RELEASES "NO FLAG”, RECORDED IN HELSINKI, FINLAND.

Traveling alone to the Finnish capital on February 16th, Costello worked for three days at Suomenlinnan Studio, a recording facility a twenty-minute ferry ride from downtown Helsinki.

Asked about the choice of recording location, Costello, explained, "I wanted to go somewhere nobody knew me. So, this is 'The Helsinki Sound.’”

The instrumental credits list only: "Elvis Costello - Mouth, Drum, Fender Jazzmaster, Hammond Organ and Bass."

"No Flag" was recorded by Eetu Seppälä - assisted by Tim Mikkkola - in Helsinki and mixed by Sebastian Krys in Los Angeles.

The song is also featured in a new illustrated clip by Eamon Singer and Arlo McFurlow.

Both the song and the lyric video are available now from Concord Records by electrical wire.

'No Flag' Available Now!

Look out for the next installment of this story on July 10th.

Watch 'No Flag' Lyric Video: https://youtu.be/w7aQtVfB-88
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... 1010478/[b]

Elvis Costello Unveils Roiling New Song ‘No Flag’[/b]
Single follows the release of 2018’s Look Now

Elvis Costello has unveiled roiling new song, “No Flag,” which is accompanied by an animated lyric video. Elvis Costello and the Imposters’ most recent LP is their 2018 studio album, Look Now.

Although he recorded the track in February, according to a statement, the song is fitting for the current frustrations plaguing the world. “No time for this kind of love/No flag waving high above,” Costello sings. “No sign for the dark place that I live/No God for the damn that I don’t give.”

He recorded the track in three days in Helsinki, Finland at Suomenlinnan Studio, which is about a 20-minute ferry ride away from downtown. “I wanted to go somewhere nobody knew me,” Costello said in a statement. “So, this is ‘The Helsinki Sound.'”

On June 11th, Costello will join Rosanne Cash for “Present Perfect: Songs of Protest and Memory,” which is part of the Live With Carnegie Hall series. The event also includes Brandi Carlisle, Gary Clark Jr., Marc Cohn and Ry Cooder. Last month, the artist joined Sheryl Crow and several other artists for a livestream benefiting the Jazz Foundation of America’s COVID-19 Musicians’ Emergency Fund.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://scenestr.com.au/music/first-lis ... g-20200605

Costello Releases New Song 'No Flag'

Two years removed from his last studio album, 'Look Now' (his 30th album), English post-punk singer-songwriter Elvis Costello is back with a new single – the warped, trippy and utterly sublime 'No Flag'.

The 65 year old travelled alone to the Finnish capital on 16 February, where he worked for 3 days at Suomenlinnan Studio, a recording facility a 20-minute ferry ride from downtown Helsinki.

The track features some stark lyrics, including 'We want everything and we don't want to share / Outer space for the faces we fear.'

"I wanted to go somewhere nobody knew me. So, this is 'The Helsinki Sound'," Costello says, when asked about the choice of recording location.

The instrumental credits list only Elvis Costello: mouth, drum, fender jazzmaster, Hammond organ and bass."
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://bestclassicbands.com/elvis-cost ... ng-6-5-20/

Elvis Costello Releases Powerful New Song, ‘No Flag’: Listen

(...)

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Available from the official website: https://looknow.elviscostello.com/produ ... l-download
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Also “Look out for the next instalment on July 10th”
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

I like it!! Very different to Look Now. Great guitar riff. Would have fitted in on When I Was Cruel. Not many songwriters producing stuff this good and vital at 65 years old!!
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Wow !!!!!!!
Mr. Getgood

Post by Mr. Getgood »

Fishfinger king wrote:I like it!! Very different to Look Now. Great guitar riff. Would have fitted in on When I Was Cruel. Not many songwriters producing stuff this good and vital at 65 years old!!
I thought the same thing regarding WIWC when I first heard it. I also find parts of the vocal and bass lines reminiscent of 20% Amnesia. Great new tune. Thanks Elvis!
I love you just as much as I hate your guts.
Judge Holden

Post by Judge Holden »

Banger.
rightbrain

Post by rightbrain »

Can't imagine any other artist dropping "No Flag" and "Hey Clockface" within a couple of months from one another. A raver and a crooner. Crunchy and smooth. There's always an EC to suit every mood!

"No Flag" seems like a sequel to "Walk Us Uptown" . . .

Will you haul down that flag
And dishonor that vow
'Cause we must not change
It's color now
Will you walk us uptown

Keep a red flag flying
Keep a blue flag as well
And a white flag in case
It all goes to Hell
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Also “Look out for the next instalment on July 10th”
This intrigued me the most. Maybe a new record? Another new single?

All that said, love the new song. He sounds PISSED.
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Remarkable. A reminder that, at 65, he can knock it out of the park with a flick of the wrist. If this had been released in 1978 it would be a standard encore to this day.
WindUpWorld

Post by WindUpWorld »

That is a timely and devastating song. ‘Not exactly chill out music is it!’ my partner commented this morning. I was thinking the same as others here about its cousins - 20% Amnesia, Walk Us Uptown and a shade of Idiophone too. It adds to the list of EC garden shed knock ups that goes all the way back to Hoover Factory I guess. Such a contrast to the thoughtful rendering of vulnerable characters in Look Now. The way things have turned out EC has been our friend in music a lot this year so far and i have to say it really does help rally the spirits. Especially lovely have been the webcasts with Allan Mayes, who can rib Elvis like few others - even the Imps I’d observe - would get away with.
jardine

Post by jardine »

Yep, me too. Wow!!!!

Roll on July 20.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

This rebellious epic reminds me of another rebellious epic : " Woody Guthrie " by Alabama 3,
I don't need no country
I don't fly no flag
I cut no slack for the Union Jack
Stars and stripes have got me jet-lagged yeah
Full lyrics and audio snippet available here : https://genius.com/Alabama-3-woody-guthrie-lyrics
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Killer tune. Nice vid to go with it. Looking forward to hearing more.
Impatience

Post by Impatience »

Great tune, I hope we'll get an album with this energy. However, I find this particular song a bit overproduced.
Miclewis

Post by Miclewis »

It definitely reminds me of Tom Waits’ “Real Gone” album. Maybe a specific reference by Elvis to “Hoist that Rag”.
jardine

Post by jardine »

keep thinking of Dr. Luther's Assistant....something linked to finding out he's making all this noise himself....

I REALLY like this new song.
chickendinna

Post by chickendinna »

I hear something besides all the influences that have ben previously mentioned. This sounds very Gang Of Fourish to me .
Standstobeinsulted

Post by Standstobeinsulted »

Absolutely agree, shades of Andy Gill. One of the most criminally underated guitarists of all time alongside Steve Cropper, Mick Green and Richard Thompson. Still sticks in my craw that The Edge(sic) has never acknowledged the debt he owes to Andy Gill
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

Miclewis wrote:It definitely reminds me of Tom Waits’ “Real Gone” album. Maybe a specific reference by Elvis to “Hoist that Rag”.
Yep, or else the vocal beat-boxing in the background is a direct steal from 'Big in Japan.' Good catch either way!

It's a sharp song, I love the organ and guitar parts. These, coupled with the aforementioned beat-boxing, add tonal ingredients we haven't heard a lot from EC. (He tried on WIWC but the songcraft was not up to standard). 'There's no god for the damn that I don't give' is classic Elvis. That said, the song - purely as a composition - is EC in familiar cranky rocker mode, good but not mind-blowing. It's the musical setting and production that give it extra oomph, at least to my ear.
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

Miclewis wrote:It definitely reminds me of Tom Waits’ “Real Gone” album. Maybe a specific reference by Elvis to “Hoist that Rag”.
Yep, or else the vocal beat-boxing in the background is a direct steal from 'Big in Japan.' Good catch either way!

It's a sharp song, I love the organ and guitar parts. These, coupled with the aforementioned beat-boxing, add tonal ingredients we haven't heard a lot from EC. (He tried on WIWC but the songcraft was not up to standard and the album was, relatively speaking, a clunker). 'There's no god for the damn that I don't give' is classic Elvis. That said, the song - purely as a composition - is EC in familiar cranky rocker mode, good but not mind-blowing in terms of what he's done before. It's the musical setting and production that give it extra oomph, at least to my ear.
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones