Steve Nieve - The Immobile Tour BackStage

Pretty self-explanatory
rightbrain

Re: Steve Nieve - The Daily Improvisation

Post by rightbrain »

Wondering if the date of the EC appearance with Steve (May 17) had any impact on the song selections. It was May 17, 1986 when EC "married" Cait O'Riordan at St. Stephen's Green. Hearing a Pogues tune and "My Little Blue Window" had me thinking that May 17 from 34-years ago may have been on EC's mind.

"My Little Blue Window," certainly sounds like it was (at one time) a love song to Cait. Here's EC from a press interview for the release of WWIC in 2002:

"My Little Blue Window is about having someone who's enough of a lovely or loving hooligan to smash through your defenses when you can only see things in a negative way. Of course you're only seeing that way because you haven't turned your head back into the light. And when you're in that state, it's like staring through blue glass. That's the song's poetic device. And I know it's true because I wore blue-tinted lenses for two years and I became terribly depressed."

I remember back in 1993 EC actually even wrote a song called "May 17th" . . . an instrumental for the Ferrington Guitars Book and CD.

In any case . . . Brown Eyes and Blue Window make for good color ("colour") songs either way.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

At the risk of hijacking this thread, does anyone else find Muriel’s interruptions really irritating? When Elvis is on (and they’re the only shows I’ve watched), on occasions she gives away the next song and speaks whilst Elvis is speaking, although I appreciate it’s difficult with video calls.

She must be great to play poker with :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

The Immobile Tour
Thursday 21 May
Night Special
18.00 Dream Time
19.00 Rêve Time
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

The Immobile Tour
Friday 22 May
Special Glenn Tilbrook
18.00 Meeting Time
19.00 Rendez-vous Time
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Today (May 21) at 21.00 GMT Ajuq and I will be for three songs on Annie O Music on Instagram. Sophie Auster will join us for a duet with Ajuq on one of Elvis Costello’s most iconic classic songs - Can you guess?

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

The Immobile Tour rolls on
DAY #51
We Miss Cinema
18.00 If Time
19.00 Les 400 Coups Time
Muriel Teodori
Facebook/Steve Nieve Page
Instagram/a.j.u.q.
Offshoreram

Post by Offshoreram »

verbal gymnastics wrote:At the risk of hijacking this thread, does anyone else find Muriel’s interruptions really irritating? When Elvis is on (and they’re the only shows I’ve watched), on occasions she gives away the next song and speaks whilst Elvis is speaking, although I appreciate it’s difficult with video calls.

She must be great to play poker with :lol:
Yes, I agree with you.

I'm sure she means well but she just loves to give away the next song.

She's not what folk are tuning in for so best if she took more of a back seat.
My head is spinning and my legs are weak
krm

Post by krm »

verbal gymnastics wrote:..... does anyone else find Muriel’s interruptions really irritating?
"Really irritating" is a bit strong I think. The whole thing is what it is. Some evenings it is just great, and by having this - as I see it - family gathering to play and have fun works great. We have got some nice EC appearances through this.
So looking forward to the next 50.....
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Can anyone help out the Daily Improvisation page on the Costello wiki with song titles, start times, who's singing, instuments, original artist and album name, for Days 45, 46, 47, and 50?

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... rovisation

For example:

00:00 / Smile / Muriel / piano / Modern Times / Charles Chaplin
03:45 / Love Field / instrumental / piano / Goodbye Cruel World / Elvis Costello
07:15 / I'm In The Mood Again / Steve, Muriel, AJUQ / piano / North / Elvis Costello
10:15 / Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life / Steve, Muriel, AJUQ / piano / Life Of Brian / Monty Python
14:35 / I Got You (I Feel Good) / AJUQ with Muriel / piano & drums / Out of Sight / James Brown
16:55 / Ooby Dooby / AJUQ with Muriel / piano & drums / At the Rock House / Roy Orbison
19:40 / Mystery Dance / Steve / piano & drums / My Aim Is True / Elvis Costello
21:40 / This Will Be Our Year / Steve, Muriel / piano / Odessey And Oracle / The Zombies
24:40 / Sweet Gene Vincent / AJUQ with Muriel / piano & drums / New Boots And Panties!! / Ian Dury

Here are the links to the days:
Day 45 https://www.facebook.com/stevenieveoffi ... 515828036/
Day 46 https://www.facebook.com/stevenieveoffi ... 447371777/
Day 47 https://www.facebook.com/stevenieveoffi ... 946290991/
Day 50 https://www.facebook.com/12759958117230 ... 9978028158

Last edited by Azmuda on Sun May 24, 2020 1:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Harry Lime

Post by Harry Lime »

krm wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote:..... does anyone else find Muriel’s interruptions really irritating?
"Really irritating" is a bit strong I think. The whole thing is what it is.
This captures it for me. I've watched every one, and I think you just need to get into the feeling of being in their living room and it being very casual. It's kind of sweet to see the affection Steve has for his wife and the warm relationship he has with AJUQ. It has given me a renewed appreciation for Steve's prodigious talents. His rearrangements of well-known songs (and not always Elvis') often brings a smile.
Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

The Immobile Tour
#52 Girls Names
With Special Guest Elvis Costello
18.00 Britannia Time
19.00 Marianne Time
Muriel Teodori
Facebook/Steve Nieve Page
Instagram/a.j.u.q.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Harry Lime wrote:
krm wrote:
"Really irritating" is a bit strong I think. The whole thing is what it is.
This captures it for me. I've watched every one, and I think you just need to get into the feeling of being in their living room and it being very casual. It's kind of sweet to see the affection Steve has for his wife and the warm relationship he has with AJUQ. It has given me a renewed appreciation for Steve's prodigious talents. His rearrangements of well-known songs (and not always Elvis') often brings a smile.
Agreed. Such a gift they share with everyone. Love Muriel. Good fun. Tech difficulties still the best. Zoom would be cool but it would take away a layer of intimacy...

Wishing safety and good health!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Steve posts on Facebook:
I am launching my label next week - Trouville Records - OR SHOULD IT BE CALLED IMMOBILE TOUR RECORDS? (Might be confusing.. Give me your thoughts?) with an instrumental album release "Fuji~Rama". Inspired by the experience of an earthquake on Mount Fuji, which I was climbing with some friends, as you do, first time I visited Japan. It was unforgettable, the red surface of the volcano turned into an undulating wave right beneath our feet. I will tell you more about all this during the week, including details of how to get this, on heavy weight vinyl, delivered to your doorstep, limited first edition.... and containing contributions by my musical friends Simon John Fisher Turner Ned Rothenberg David Coulter and for sure AJUQ. Fuji~rama is a very different music than anything I've created in the past. Looking forward....

Brodsky

Post by Brodsky »

Azmuda wrote:Can anyone help out the Daily Improvisation page on the Costello wiki with song titles, start times, who's singing, instuments, original artist and album name, for Days 45, 46, 47, and 50?

For example:

00:00 / Smile / Muriel / piano / Modern Times / Charles Chaplin
03:45 / Love Field / instrumental / piano / Goodbye Cruel World / Elvis Costello
07:15 / I'm In The Mood Again / Steve, Muriel, AJUQ / piano / North / Elvis Costello
10:15 / Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life / Steve, Muriel, AJUQ / piano / Life Of Brian / Monty Python
14:35 / I Got You (I Feel Good) / AJUQ with Muriel / piano & drums / Out of Sight / James Brown
16:55 / Ooby Dooby / AJUQ with Muriel / piano & drums / At the Rock House / Roy Orbison
19:40 / Mystery Dance / Steve / piano & drums / My Aim Is True / Elvis Costello
21:40 / This Will Be Our Year / Steve, Muriel / piano / Odessey And Oracle / The Zombies
24:40 / Sweet Gene Vincent / AJUQ with Muriel / piano & drums / New Boots And Panties!! / Ian Dury

Here are the links to the days:
Day 45 https://www.facebook.com/stevenieveoffi ... 515828036/
Day 46 https://www.facebook.com/stevenieveoffi ... 447371777/
Day 47 https://www.facebook.com/stevenieveoffi ... 946290991/
Day 50 https://www.facebook.com/12759958117230 ... 9978028158

I'd have to watch the show again to provide more precise details (not sure if you are compiling the songs based on the time when the song actually starts, or is introduced, etc., Also, I'm going from memory on the instruments, but here are the songs (in order):

Episode 50
00:00 / Either Side of the Same Town / Muriel/ piano/ The Delivery Man / Elvis Costello
04:33 / I Do Not Miss You (Nostalgia #20) /Steve, Muriel,AJUQ / piano / ToGetHer/ Steve Nieve
08:53 / From A Whisper to A Scream / instrumental / piano & drums / Trust / Elvis Costello
10:43 / From A Whisper to A Scream/Glenn Tilbrook/guitar, piano & drums /Trust / Elvis Costello
14:40 / House of Love /Glenn Tilbrook /guitar, piano & percussion / Play / Squeeze
19:53 / Letting Go / Glenn Tilbrook / guitar, piano & percussion / Play / Squeeze
27:59 / Still / Glenn Tilbrook / guitar, piano & percussion / Pandemonium Ensues / Glenn Tilbrook & The Fluffers
33:33 / I Must Be In A Good Place Now / Glenn Tilbrook / guitar & organ /Bobby Charles / Bobby Charles
37:24 / Take Me, I'm Yours /Glenn Tilbrook / guitar , organ /U.K. Squeeze / Squeeze
43:48 / Summer Song (Espionage) / Steve, Muriel, AJUQ / piano / ToGetHer / Steve Nieve

Also, Steve plays an instrumental to close out the show, but for the life of me, I could not place it.

Hope that helps...
Brodsky

Post by Brodsky »

Also, looks like you are still working on Sunday's set list, but I watched last night, and noticed something missing from the list. After Layla, they played a melody of Michelle/Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. Steve on piano/AJUQ on drums/brushes. Steve sang a bit of Michelle (with Muriel and AJUQ also singing loudly). On Lucy, it was just Muriel signing "lead" with AJUQ backing on vocals (or just mouthing the words:)!!

By the way, thanks for compiling these lists. It is great to keep up with what they are performing and, sometimes, leads me to watch an episode that I didn't catch.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Brodsky wrote:I'd have to watch the show again to provide more precise details (not sure if you are compiling the songs based on the time when the song actually starts, or is introduced, etc., Also, I'm going from memory on the instruments, but here are the songs (in order):

Episode 50
00:00 / Either Side of the Same Town / Muriel/ piano/ The Delivery Man / Elvis Costello
04:33 / I Do Not Miss You (Nostalgia #20) /Steve, Muriel,AJUQ / piano / ToGetHer/ Steve Nieve
08:53 / From A Whisper to A Scream / instrumental / piano & drums / Trust / Elvis Costello
10:43 / From A Whisper to A Scream/Glenn Tilbrook/guitar, piano & drums /Trust / Elvis Costello
14:40 / House of Love /Glenn Tilbrook /guitar, piano & percussion / Play / Squeeze
19:53 / Letting Go / Glenn Tilbrook / guitar, piano & percussion / Play / Squeeze
27:59 / Still / Glenn Tilbrook / guitar, piano & percussion / Pandemonium Ensues / Glenn Tilbrook & The Fluffers
33:33 / I Must Be In A Good Place Now / Glenn Tilbrook / guitar & organ /Bobby Charles / Bobby Charles
37:24 / Take Me, I'm Yours /Glenn Tilbrook / guitar , organ /U.K. Squeeze / Squeeze
43:48 / Summer Song (Espionage) / Steve, Muriel, AJUQ / piano / ToGetHer / Steve Nieve

Also, Steve plays an instrumental to close out the show, but for the life of me, I could not place it.

Hope that helps...
Perfect! Many thanks!
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Episode 45:

00:00 / Where Are We Now? /Steve, Muriel /piano / Blackstar / David Bowie
5:25 / 45 / Steve, Muriel / piano /When I Was Cruel / Elvis Costello
8:20 / You Don't Want To Know / Steve / piano / Songs For Mumu Volume Three/ Steve Nieve
16:10 / I’m Not Angry / Steve, Muriel / piano/drums / My Aim Is True / Elvis Costello
20:25 / Everybody’s Talkin’/ AJUQ / piano / https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everybody%27s_Talkin%27 / Fred Neil
28:40 / Blackbird / AJUQ / piano / https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles_(album) /The Beatles
33:10 / It's a Man's Man's Man's World / AJUQ / piano/ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_at_t ... own_album) / James Brown
38:40 / Heart Of The City / Steve, Muriel / piano/ drums / B-Side of ''So It Goes'' / Nick Lowe

MOOT
Last edited by Man out of Time on Mon May 25, 2020 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Episode 46 now added to the wiki (along with Episode 45).

00:00 / Wastin’ Time/ instrumental / piano / Ron Sexsmith / Ron Sexsmith
4:15 / Everyday I Write The Book / Ron Sexsmith, Muriel / YouTube recording w/ Steve + piano / Punch The Clock / Elvis Costello
10:50 / The Idiot Boy / Steve / Piano / Whereabouts / Ron Sexsmith
16:45 / Secret Heart / Steve / piano / Ron Sexsmith / Ron Sexsmith
22:00 / Halloween (Bonfire Night) / AJUQ / piano / ToGetHer / Steve Nieve, Ron Sexsmith
26:00 / Halloween (Bonfire Night) (reprise) / AJUQ / piano / ToGetHer / Steve & Ron

The internet was very shaky towards the end, and there is a break between the first version of "Halloween" and the second attempt. The show finishes with a frozen screen. Ron Sexsmith was invited to join the webcast, but apparently does not do tech.

MOOT
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I love this screen grab from yesterday's show. They've really fine tuned the presentation.