Spanish Model, Sept 10, 2021 - New release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums!!

Pretty self-explanatory
krm

Re: Spanish This Year’s Model - New release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums!!

Post by krm »

sweetest punch wrote:It’s available in Belgium!
It’s fun!
Available in Sweden too - and fun here too!
sweetest punch

Re: Spanish This Year’s Model - New release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums!!

Post by sweetest punch »

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/elv ... q2ayG92iIs

Elvis Costello Previews Spanish-Language ‘This Year’s Model’ With an Election-Timed ‘Crawling to the USA’
Released as part of Costello's "50 Songs for 50 Days" election playlist, the track is from an upcoming all-español version of his classic 1978 album.

Elvis Costello has released a Spanish-language version of his 1979 song “Crawling to the USA,” seemingly timed as an implicit commentary on current American politics, days before the U.S. presidential election.

It’s the first song to be released from “Spanish Model,” an album to be released this year that has prominent singers from the Latin music realm singing the songs from Costello’s classic “This Year’s Model” album in Spanish, over the original backing tracks. The project, which was put together by Costello’s recent producer, Sebastian Krys — one of the leading producers in Latin music — was originally set to come out this year but has been pushed back to 2021.

The espanol “Crawling to the USA” is sung by Gian Marco, one of the top names in Peruvian music, and Nicole Zignago, a Peruvian-born singer who now resides in L.A., with Spanish translation by Mitre. Costello, who has not formally announced the “Spanish Model” album, indicated in a tweet that the recording may only be online for a short time at the present, writing, “Get this one while you can.”

Available only on Spotify, It’s the only officially unreleased track that Costello has put up as an entry in his “50 Songs for 50 Days” series, a playlist that was begun 50 days prior to the American election and is set to conclude on Nov. 3. The songs Costello has included in the sequence all either derive from the more sociopolitically conscious parts of his vast catalog or have titles or lyrics that can be read as having topical connotations.

In tweeting out the song’s (possibly temporary) release on Saturday, Costello included the Spanish translation of a verse from the original song — which was released just after “This Year’s Model,” on the “Americathon” movie soundtrack — that certainly could be seen as having thematic correlations in the present day:

She said, “I catch you taking liberties and they do not impress me
Attach me to your credit card and then you can undress me”
Everybody is on their knees except the Russians and the Chinese

And, of course, the very act of taking a song that dealt with immigration and having it sung in Spanish by non-native singers could be seen as political commentary in and of itself.

In an interview with Variety for his just-released new album, “Hey Clockface,” Costello said he would prefer to wait until the Spanish-language album is ready to come out in 2021 to discuss it in greater depth, but did comment on how pleased he is with how the unprecedented project turned out.

“I know hearing about it in the abstract, people will think it’s a crazy idea,” Costello conceded, “but everything that was done on that record has been done with the most integrity. And I just love the way it sounds.” Speaking of the original backing tracks being maintained, he said, “I think it’s a compliment to the band (the Attractions), to (producer) Nick Lowe, to (engineer) Roger Bechirian… I will say this much: that the new thing that we’ve done with it is another record. It just isn’t the same record. It’s another record using the same foundation. And I’m very proud of what Sebastian’s done on it, snd he really deserves the credit.”

Of the new “Crawling to the USA,” Gian Marco tweeted to Costello — and to his 3.8 million followers — “Grateful and honored for this privilege. Thank you master!”

Costello tweeted to Mitre, “Your superb adaptation of my original lyric and Gian Marco and Nicole’s voices bring a new and immediate story to a track cut with the Attractions in 1978. I look forward to 2021 when can share all of these remarkable new versions. Get this one while you can.”

As for the “50 Songs for 50 Days” playlist, perusing it leads to some obvious conclusions about Costello’s thoughts on U.S. politics and, very likely, Donald Trump, while other titles require more interpretation.

For example, the song published Sunday, the day after the Spanish-language “Crawling to the USA” was released, is his cover of Randy Newman’s “I’ve Been Wrong Before,” a song of cynicism and disappointment leavening faith and hope. Is the meaning that everyone might turn out to be wrong about which way the presidential election will swing? Or that we might be mistaken in imagining what sort of fixes lay in store with any one candidate?

Other titles are perhaps clearer in the current context. The first song of the 50, “This Town,” included the famous chorus, “You’re nobody till everybody in this town thinks you’re a bastard.” “Green Shirt” was one of the songs on the “Armed Forces” album correlating sexual politics and fascism, the latter a theme made even more explicit in “Night Rally.” Tunes that could be loosely read as “protest songs” of a sort, then or now, include “American Gangster Time,” “National Ransom,” “Less Than Zero,” “The Other Side of Summer,” “All This Useless Beauty” (“While our leaders have feasts on the backsides of beasts / They still think they’re the gods of antiquity”), “Waiting for the End of the World,” “Hurry Down Doomsday (The Bugs Are Taking Over)” and the new album’s “We Are All Cowards Now.” He’s also tossed in his versions of Paul Simon’s “American Tune” and the Allen Toussaint-penned “Who’s Gonna Help Brother Get Further.”

Songs perhaps of a more personal nature, but whose titles at least could be seen as commenting on the mood or events of 2020, have included “In the Darkest Place,” “This Is Hell,” “This Sad Burlesque,” “Poor Napolean,” “Brilliant Mistake,” “It’s Time,” “Clowntime Is Over,” his interpretation of Charles Mingus’ “Weird Nightmare” and — the perfect political song, in a fresh context — Gram Parsons’ “How Much I Lied.”

On “The Late Show With Stephen Colbert” Thursday, Costello was asked by the host “if there was a song you think would fit a campaign rally” for Donald Trump. The singer responded, “Can I read you these lines, ’cause I think they speak from my heart? They say what I feel but cannot express.” He then recited lyrics from a song from his upcoming stage musical adaptation of “A Face in the Crowd,” to be sung by the Lonesome Rhodes character played by Andy Griffith in the film, “a lying, cheating, swindling hillbilly singer who rises through the realms of entertainment to be a man of influence.”

Among the lyrics:

If you’re tired of the lies of politicians and of preachers, you can put your trust in me
Help me be your brother’s keeper
If you pay too many taxes and think salvation should be cheaper
Just say blood and hot sauce
When the bailiffs are at the door, and you want to venge your spleen
Vaseline my pompadour, I’m twice the man you should’ve been
Hand round the ammunition and the gasoline
Just say blood and hot sauce
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
FrankieJ

Post by FrankieJ »

Just listened to a snippet and it’s a NOPE from me. The edge has been taken away entirely. Pointless idea. It’s not going to beat the original. Won’t be bothering with it when it comes out. While we’re at it, shall we ask Paul McCartney to release a cover of Sgt Peppers in Dutch? :lol: :lol:
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

krm wrote:
sweetest punch wrote:It’s available in Belgium!
It’s fun!
Available in Sweden too - and fun here too!
No fun in the UK as yet!
Attachments
50.jpg
50.jpg (33.46 KiB) Viewed 35477 times
WindUpWorld

Post by WindUpWorld »

It's really quite a bonkers concept this remodelled Model but on the strength of Crawling that EC span on BBC Radio 6 tonight it might be a lot of fun
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Still showing up as 'unavailable in your country' (the UK in my case) which is a bit frustrating. Nothing on my Spotify - are other UK listeners having the same issue?

I have at least been able to listen via the Radio 6 programme. It's OK, mildly amusing. I'd be more interested to hear how the new vocalists tackle stuff like 'Night Rally' or 'Hand in Hand'. Suspect that 'Spanish Model' is something I'll buy because I'm a completist, listen to one-and-a-half times and stick on the shelf.
krm

Post by krm »

who has done the spanish lyrics? EC himself?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch wrote:https://variety.com/2020/music/news/elv ... q2ayG92iIs

The espanol “Crawling to the USA” is sung by Gian Marco, one of the top names in Peruvian music, and Nicole Zignago, a Peruvian-born singer who now resides in L.A., with Spanish translation by Mitre.
Could it be this Mexican singer? https://wearemitu.com/mitu-world/mitre-pop-singer/
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
John

Post by John »

Available in the UK now. Just had it blasting from my desk.
krm

Post by krm »

sweetest punch wrote:
sweetest punch wrote:https://variety.com/2020/music/news/elv ... q2ayG92iIs

The espanol “Crawling to the USA” is sung by Gian Marco, one of the top names in Peruvian music, and Nicole Zignago, a Peruvian-born singer who now resides in L.A., with Spanish translation by Mitre.
Could it be this Mexican singer? https://wearemitu.com/mitu-world/mitre-pop-singer/
Thanks
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

John wrote:Available in the UK now. Just had it blasting from my desk.
Good catch, thank-you! I'd nearly given up hope!
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I think this is a great idea. I loved 'Crawling to the USA'. I don't think it's being done for existing Elvis fans - I think it's to create new Elvis fans in new markets, so if it helps create royalties where they didn't exist before, then good for him! It's tough to make money as a musician these days, even before Covid, so every little helps.
krm

Post by krm »

Dont forget that we already have a great german version since a few years back : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liC9-0CZQO0
not with EC and A but it is still a great version.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://preview.houstonchronicle.com/mu ... d-15775547

(...)

Two years ago, Costello revisited “This Year’s Girl,” a song from his 1978 album “This Year’s Model” for the TV show “The Deuce,” re-recording it with a second singer, Natalie Bergman. Doing so pried loose another idea.

“I thought, ‘Why don’t we just take my voice off every song on this record and replace it with somebody singing in Spanish?’,” he says. “I know it sounds mad when you say it.”

Mad as it sounds, the project will be out next year: the original “This Years Model” with the original instrumentation featuring newly recorded vocals by artists from a dozen Spanish-speaking countries.

“It’s interesting when you took my voice out, it wasn’t rock ’n’ roll, it was pop music,” he says. “We were supposed to be on the radio alongside Blondie and ABBA and Gloria Gaynor and the Bee Gees. We weren’t trying to be the MC5. When you listen to the music, they’re very committed performances, but not that raging. It’s actually very musical. It could’ve sounded like a crazy stunt, but my breath was taken away with how heartfelt the contributions were. Taking these songs I wrote when I was 23 about how we look at each other, assumptions we make because of the way someone looks. Give those songs to a young woman to sing, and it immediately changes the story.

“It was very good fun, and that’s the thing you forget when you make records over time,” he adds. “Remembering to (just) play. It’s so easy to forget. To play because you love it.”
(...)
fred darden

Post by fred darden »

Any update on the release of this?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

fred darden wrote:Any update on the release of this?
Not heard anything yet and my fingernails are already pared down to the bone in anticipation - as if! :roll: :wink:
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

sulky lad wrote:
fred darden wrote:Any update on the release of this?
Not heard anything yet and my fingernails are already pared down to the bone in anticipation - as if! :roll: :wink:

when i saw this thread revived today, i was thinking maybe it was changed to a Gaelic language TYM version to celebrate forty three Saint Patrick Day's ago original release date!!!
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Sooo Last Year's Model.

"Hé Horloge" est à présent quoique dans acomptes....

(with thanks to Google Translate and my French teacher circa 1972 Mr 'Taffy' Roberts who used to use his knuckles on our skulls to emphasise the correct pronunciations)
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.lesoleil.com/arts/elvis-cos ... cde3ab9dd0

(...)
Après le français, l’espagnol

Pour Elvis Costello, l’expérience de La face de pendule à coucou a été révélatrice. Si bien que le prolifique et polyvalent musicien — qui a fait fi des étiquettes sur plus d’une trentaine d’albums studio — a souhaité continuer de revisiter son répertoire. Une version espagnole de sa deuxième offrande, This Year’s Model (1978), doit nous arriver sous peu.

«Toute la musique originale sera la même, remixée avec des oreilles actuelles. Mais ma voix sera remplacée par celles d’interprètes hispanophones. J’enregistre 15 chanteurs originaires de 12 pays», décrit celui qui se réjouit de voir sa musique trouver un nouveau public et se montre on ne peut plus satisfait du travail d’adaptation de ses chansons.

«La même question s’est posée que pour le minialbum en français, reprend-il. Je connais Muriel depuis longtemps, nous avons pu échanger de manière conviviale dans le processus. Mais le niveau d’intégrité que j’ai vu des auteurs espagnols me convainc que ce genre de projet va au-delà de l’accessoire. Ce sont de nouvelles idées, c’est un nouvel album à part entière.»

————————-
Google translation :

After French, Spanish

For Elvis Costello, the experience of The Cuckoo Pendulum Face was revealing. So much so that the prolific and versatile musician - who has ignored the labels on more than thirty studio albums - wanted to continue revisiting his repertoire. A Spanish version of his second offering, This Year’s Model (1978), is due to arrive shortly.

“All the original music will be the same, remixed with current ears. But my voice will be replaced by those of Spanish-speaking interpreters. I record 15 singers from 12 countries, ”describes one who is delighted to see his music find a new audience and could not be more satisfied with the work of adapting his songs.

"The same question arose as for the minialbum in French," he continues. I have known Muriel for a long time, we were able to exchange in a friendly manner in the process. But the level of integrity I've seen from Spanish writers convinces me that this kind of project goes beyond the incidental. These are new ideas, it's a whole new album. "
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Elvis and Sebastian Krys talk about Spanish Model: http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... =2&t=11787
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Qué Es Esto? (What is this?)
I think the announcement will come soon: https://www.elviscostello.com/#!/news/299816

sweetest punch

Re: New release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums!!

Post by sweetest punch »

And No Coffee Table wrote: This short article includes longer versions of these quotes (and corresponding audio):

"Sebastian's just finished remixing an album of ours from the very beginning of our career. And the nature of that remix is going to be so surprising to you when you hear it, because it involves taking my voice off the record and replacing it entirely with Spanish singers from across 12 Latin countries and Spain. And that's something that will come out later in the year as part of a revisiting of our catalogue."

"Music doesn't stand still. It needs to be reinterpreted. This is not a tribute record — this is a remix. But, it's not like one of those dance remixes where somebody adds something. It's the original backing tracks."
I hope that Spanish Model will be in some way part of a big This Year’s Model reissue!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Pump It Up (in Spanish): https://youtu.be/qc36kaOPsRI
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

https://music.apple.com/us/album/1575818583

Expected 10 September 2021

1. No Action - Elvis Costello & The Attractions & Nina Diaz
2. (Yo No Quiero Ir A) Chelsea) (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea - Elvis Costello & The Attractions, Raquel Sofia & Fuego
3. Yo Te Ví (The Beat) - Elvis Costello & The Attractions & Draco Rosa
4. Pump It Up - Elvis Costello & The Attractions & Juanes
5. Detonantes (Little Triggers) - Elvis Costello & The Attractions & La Marisoul
6. Tu Eres Para Mí (You Belong To Me) - Elvis Costello & The Attractions & Luis Fonsi
7. Hand In Hand - Elvis Costello & The Attractions, Francisca Valenzuela & Luis Humberto Navejas
8. La Chica De Hoy (This Year's Girl) - Elvis Costello & The Attractions & Cami
9, Mentira (Lip Service) - Elvis Costello & The Attractions & Pablo López
10. Viviendo En El Paraíso (Living In Paradise) - Elvis Costello & The Attractions & Jesse & Joy
11. Lipstick Vogue - Elvis Costello & The Attractions & Morat
12. La Turba (Night Rally) - Elvis Costello & The Attractions & Jorge Drexler
13. Llorar (Big Tears) - Elvis Costello & The Attractions & Sebastián Yatra
14. Radio, Radio - Elvis Costello & The Attractions & Fito Páez
15. Crawling To The U.S.A. - Elvis Costello & The Attractions, Gian Marco & Nicole Zignago
16. Se Esta Perdiendo La Inocencia (Running Out Of Angels) - Elvis Costello & The Attractions & Vega
17. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea (Dub Remix) - Elvis Costello & The Attractions, Raquel Sofia & Fuego
18. Pump It Up (Duet Remix) - Elvis Costello & The Attractions & Juanes
19. Pump It Up (Brutal Remix) - Elvis Costello & The Attractions
Last edited by And No Coffee Table on Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Is the "Brutal Remix" of "Pump It Up" a response of some kind to Olivia Rodrigo's "Brutal"? (See this thread.)