Spanish Model, Sept 10, 2021 - New release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums!!

Pretty self-explanatory
cwr

Re: Spanish Model, Sept 10, 2021 - New release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums

Post by cwr »

jardine wrote:I really find it disturbing to hear the music I have known for so long being treated this way. Not "good" disturbing. watched 45 seconds of big tears. yuck. again, i so wish i could 'go' with this, but, well, nope. when i put it up against clockface and the ridiculous armed forces comics, well, a very old love affair is fading, sad to say.
"Treated this way"?

If you find it "disturbing" to hear songs sung by other singers in a different language, that is concerning. It's a big world, filled with plenty of music for you to enjoy or not enjoy...
Pigalle

Re: Spanish Model, Sept 10, 2021 - New release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums

Post by Pigalle »

It’s bloody genius in my view, I’m absolutely loving this and already wanting the next instalment!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Once I decide I like the sound of a recording I continue listening to it for that reason. If I figure out what it's about, that's a bonus. Or maybe I haven't and will eventually realise that. Otherwise its all about the sonic adventure.

That's one of the reasons I like Spanish Model.
Miclewis

Post by Miclewis »

I really enjoyed it as well on a first listen. Though I was a little disappointed that the Pump It Up (Brutal Remix) was pretty much an instrumental with just the chorus vocals. Part of me would love a complete remix of the whole album with Elvis' vocals. Though TYM doesn't really need a remix - Get Happy!! could really benefit from one.

P.S. I downloaded the 24-bit, 96Hz of the new TYM remaster today, and couldn't believe how low the mastering volume is. I know the 'loudness wars' destroyed a lot of remasters, but they seem to be going too far in the other direction.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... s-1223074/

Five Artists on What It’s Like to Sing Elvis Costello’s Songs in Spanish
Juanes, Draco Rosa, La Marisoul, and more discuss ‘Spanish Model,’ the new remake of Costello’s classic 1978 album ‘This Year’s Model’

When Elvis Costello decided to re-record his album This Year’s Model entirely in Spanish, he knew he wasn’t going to do it alone. He saw the entire thing as a lively, hands-on collaboration in which he’d give Spanish-speaking artists access to the original master recordings from the iconic 1978 LP and let them interpret the songs exactly how they wanted. He and the producer Sebastian Krys enlisted a varied set of musicians from around the world and watched as each of them added their own magic to the anticipated project, which is called Spanish Model and is out today via UMe.
Below, several of the artists — Fito Páez, La Marisoul, Juanes, Draco Rosa, and Francisca Valenzuela — reflect on what it was like to sing Costello’s songs and what his music has meant to them throughout their careers.

La Marisoul - Detonantes

I was on Olvera Street [in Los Angeles], where I used to busk, and sometimes these homeless men would pass by and sell things that were obviously stolen. One day, this guy was passing by with a duffel bag full of CDs and I saw this one by Elvis Costello — a cover that was checkered, and it showed this super-cool guy with glasses and a guitar. I think it was some kind of double version of My Aim Is True, with songs like “Alice” and “[The Angels Wanna Wear My] Red Shoes.” I felt like he was speaking to a lot of things that I felt. So that’s how I was introduced to his music, through stolen CDs. [Laughs.]
It was a super treat to get to sing “Little Triggers.” I think it’s the only ballad on the record, so when Sebastian brought the idea to me, I was like “Hell yeah.” I love all of Elvis’ songs — his love songs, his lust songs. As a fan and as a listener, what I love is the way he sings. When he does songs like this, it’s so much about the feeling. I could feel his breath, his urgency, his desire. I was inspired by that and how he delivered such emotion. To me, that’s the most special thing about him. He’s an amazing rock & roll singer and songwriter, but when he sings these types of ballads, he really knows how to get in there. It’s not about how tuned or beautiful the voice is, it’s about the feeling for me. And he makes me feel.
So that was my approach — I was like, “Okay, I’m gonna live in these lyrics.” I wanted to live in those feelings of little triggers and think about those feelings when a person gives you a little look or when you’re trying to decipher what they’re doing to you. It wasn’t hard to get into it and to convey that. Spanish is my first language and singing in Spanish and writing in Spanish feels very, very personal to me, so to be able to take these songs from this extraordinary songwriter and interpret them in Spanish is important. It’s de corazon — it’s from the heart. I hope that it reaches and touches people in different ways, and not just people who speak Spanish, but people who love music and who love Elvis Costello.

(…)
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Interview with Elvis and Sebastian on Radio Futuro: https://youtu.be/CHlinKdoYbY
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

RECENSIE. ‘Spanish model’ van Elvis Costello & The Attractions: Wasmeda, Elvis?
**** (4 stars)

Een welgemeend “wasmeda?” ontsnapt de Costello-fan bij een eerste beluistering van Spanish model, mogelijk het meest bizarre project uit de lange carrière van een Brit die vreemde samenwerkingen nooit heeft geschuwd.
Costello’s semi-klassieke werk of zijn collaboraties met pakweg Lucinda Williams, Burt Bacharach of Paul McCartney zijn niet half zo bizar als dit idee: van doorbraakalbum This year’s model (1978) alleen de muzikale partijen overhouden en de songs integraal opnieuw laten inzingen door een dozijn – vooral nobel onbekende – Spaanse stemmen.

Wij beginnen eraan met frisse tegenzin: This year’s model, dat toen de hit I don’t want to go to Chelsea opleverde, is één van die albums die we zelfs in onze slaap integraal meezingen. En dan gebeurt het. De opnieuw gemixte originele opnames klinken kakelvers, de Spaanse stemmen blijken geselecteerd op hun vuur en punk-attitude, de nieuwe teksten passen als een handschoen. Her en der klinkt El zelf als backing vocalist. Beluister Pump it up met de Colombiaanse superster Juanes als stem, en jawel, de bliksem slaat in. Steekt-ie zelf nauwelijks een vinger uit, dan maakt Costello nog goeie albums. Daar moet je een Elvis voor zijn.
———————
Google translation:

REVIEW. "Spanish Model" by Elvis Costello & The Attractions: What is this, Elvis?
**** (4 stars)

A heartfelt “what is this?” the Costello fan escapes on a first listen to Spanish model, possibly the most bizarre project in the long career of a Brit who has never shied away from strange collaborations.
Costello's semi-classical work or his collaborations with Lucinda Williams, Burt Bacharach or Paul McCartney are not half as bizarre as this idea: from the breakthrough album This year's model (1978) only the musical parts remain and have the songs completely re-sung by a dozen – especially noble unknown – Spanish voices.

We start with fresh reluctance: This year's model, which produced the hit I don't want to go to Chelsea at the time, is one of those albums that we even sing along in full in our sleep. And then it happens. The remixed original recordings sound brand new, the Spanish voices appear to be selected for their fire and punk attitude, the new lyrics fit like a glove. Here and there El himself sounds as a backing vocalist. Listen to Pump it up with Colombian superstar Juanes as the voice, and yes, lightning strikes. If he barely lifts a finger himself, Costello still makes good albums. You have to be an Elvis for that.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://rocknyc.live/the-earliest-bird- ... iewed.html

The Earliest Bird: Top New Recorded Releases 9-10-21 – 9-16-21 Elvis Costello And The Attractions’ “Spanish Model” and Lorde’s “Te Ao Mārama” Reviewed

Elvis Costello followed up his debut album My Aim Is True, one of my favorite albums of all time, with This Year’s Model, one of my favorite albums of all time, and it was all over for me. Elvis Costello had become an untouchable. That was 1977. Lorde dropped her sophomore-ish third album, an ode to nature and New Zealand, Solar Power in 2021. And today they both released foreign (to me, I mean) language takes on the albums… It vastly improves Lorde and doesn’t harm This Year’s Model AT ALL.

Spanish Model finds Costello still a dilettante but as he came to put together Spanish language popstars on top of the original recordings where Elvis’ voice used to be, his taste in Latin pop mostly ignores, well, this year’s models like Rosalia and J. Balvin, Anuel AA and Becky G, for more mainstream popsters like the hard rocking Fito Paez and the musically mesmerizing Cami. And here and there he adds a huge name like Luis Fonsi (you might remember him from the floodgates opening “Despacito” in 2017 with Daddy Yankee and also Justin Bieber on the remix) and Juanes. It all works outstandingly well, Elvis extends the album with some B Sides, but the one time where he if not beats certainly exults the original is Cami’s “La Chica de Hoy (This Year’s Girl),” changing the sex and the language puts the song on a refracted basis, it places blame where Elvis only implied that what was happening to this year’s girl was more abusive than shallow. Kudos to co-producer Sebastian Krys keeping it at a boil (Grade: A).

(…)
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://tinnitist.com/2021/09/10/albums ... nish-model

Albums Of The Week: Elvis Costello & The Attractions | Spanish Model
¡Ay, caramba! Costello turns his sophomore album into Latin karaoke — and it works!

THE EDITED PRESS RELEASE: “In 2018, Elvis Costello had a dream where he heard his entire This Year’s Model album performed in Spanish. He reached out to frequent collaborator Sebastian Krys — the Argentinian-born, Latin Grammy-winning Producer of the Year — and it wasn’t long before the two were recruiting some of the biggest Latin rock and pop artists from around the globe to interpret these songs in Spanish, backed by Costello and The Attractions’ original performances, for the daring, first-of-its-kind record Spanish Model.

As Costello and Krys began to think of artists that would be a good fit, they discovered that This Year’s Model was an important record to many artists in the pan-Latin world, but its true nature had never been fully appreciated because of the language barrier. They enlisted many Costello fans, a few who Krys and Costello felt would be a great fit for the songs and all of whom have stellar careers and were excited to participate and bring their own styles to the immediacy and poignancy of the original songs, helping to create an entirely new listening experience.

Spanish Model features such artists as: Cami, Draco Rosa, Fito Páez, Francisca Valenzuela & Luis Humberto Navejas (lead singer of Enjambre), Gian Marco & Nicole Zignago, Jesse & Joy, Jorge Drexler, Juanes, La Marisoul, Luis Fonsi, Morat, Nina Diaz, Pablo López, Raquel Sofía & Fuego, Sebastián Yatra, and Vega. They sing these timeless and universal songs, which have been expertly translated and adapted into Spanish to retain their meaning, energy, attitude, and wit.

The concept represents what may be a first: an artist replacing their vocals with newly recorded performances by other artists singing in another language, backed by the original music with 19 featured artists representing 10 countries and territories across the Spanish-speaking world including: Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Peru, Puerto Rico, Spain, Uruguay, plus several from the United States. The album includes 16 tracks drawing from the original U.S. version of This Year’s Model (Pump It Up, Radio Radio, This Year’s Girl, The Beat) plus several other songs from those sessions.

Since releasing My Aim Is True in 1977, the always musically curious Costello has allowed himself to follow his artistic desires wherever it takes him, often into unpredictable yet exciting territory. Across more than four decades, the iconoclast has reveled in exploring the human condition through a wildly diverse catalog that includes collaborations with Burt Bacharach, Allen Toussaint, Paul McCartney, T Bone Burnett, Brodsky Quartet, Spinal Tap, Anne Sofie von Otter, The Roots and his wife Diana Krall, along with many others spanning a dizzying array of genres, from country and jazz to orchestral, pop, rock, experimental and beyond, all the while keeping his audiences on their toes. After winning a Grammy for Look Now, his 2018 album with The Imposters, Costello recently released a French-language EP, featuring French adaptations by Iggy Pop, Isabelle Adjani, Tshegue, Etta Somatis & AJUQ of songs from his acclaimed 2020 album Hey Clockface.

“Part of the fun of this project is its unexpected nature,” Costello said. “Although, I think people in my audience that have been paying attention are pretty much used to surprises by now.”

“When Elvis told me the idea,” Krys said, “it took me about 15 seconds to answer. I have been in so many situations where I was trying to turn Latin artists onto Elvis Costello’s music. The feedback I heard most often was ‘I love it. I wish I knew what he was saying.’ Spanish Model is an opportunity to turn an entire side of the world onto this great record and through these voices, get these ideas out. Lyrically, This Year’s Model is still relevant today, what the songs have to say and how they say it.”

Costello and Krys worked closely with all the artists and in some cases with several songwriters — including Elsten Torres, Ximena Muñoz, Luis Mitre, Andie Sandoval, and Vega — to adapt the lyrics so the Spanish versions would seamlessly capture each song. With the lyrics in place, each artist set out to record.

“This Year’s Model is about desire and how that relates to love, fashion and to the male gaze towards women and control, especially in political control over us all,” Costello said. “I don’t think there’s anything that somebody in another language would not have encountered. Some of the lyrics might be a little obscure because I use peculiar English idioms, but I constantly fall in love with records in other languages in which I don’t even know one or two courtesy words. What you respond to is the humanity, the pride, the sorrow, the celebration.”

Ultimately, Spanish Model echoes the personal journey of celebrating influences and inspirations that Costello has embarked upon in countless creative ways over the years, whether taking him outside his comfort zone, expanding his musical repertoire or, as with this project, discovering something new altogether.”
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Discussion on Steve Hoffman Forum about TYM remaster: https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ ... r.1107532/
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Two listens in, I'm loving this. Thought it would be a curio to add to the collection that I'd listen to once, but actually I can see myself going back to this several times. It's great fun. OK, the bits that really click for me are the bonus 'brutal' version of 'Pump It Up' (which is EC and the Attractions only) and the extended ending to 'No Action' (for obvious reasons*). But still, the Spanish vocals bring a new layer of enjoyment and a great, quirky addition to the EC catalogue.

Is this as entertaining and as exciting to me as 'Hey Clockface'? No. Do I want another 'proper' LP by EC and the Imposters ASAP? Sure - and I think I'll enjoy that more than 'Spanish Model'. Am I happy to have shelled out £10 for 'Spanish Model'? Very happy.
sweetest punch wrote:'Just don’t expect to hear “Oliver’s Army” in Japanese next. “The Spanish and French records are just a coincidence of timing. I’m not working my way through the catalogue going, ‘Now for the Romanian version of ‘Goodbye Cruel World’.
Yeah, a Romanian 'Goodbye Cruel World' is a crazy idea.

It's got to be Italian for 'Goodbye Cruel World'. :D

* I suppose if I fiddled about long enough with an editing programme, I could stitch the extended drum fade-out on to the original version of 'No Action'. That would be a fun way to spend a Sunday afternoon when I'm supposed to be getting some work done.
jardine

Post by jardine »

cwr wrote:
jardine wrote:I really find it disturbing to hear the music I have known for so long being treated this way. Not "good" disturbing. watched 45 seconds of big tears. yuck. again, i so wish i could 'go' with this, but, well, nope. when i put it up against clockface and the ridiculous armed forces comics, well, a very old love affair is fading, sad to say.
"Treated this way"?

If you find it "disturbing" to hear songs sung by other singers in a different language, that is concerning. It's a big world, filled with plenty of music for you to enjoy or not enjoy...
What the hell are you implying here? I do not find it disturbing to hear songs sung in languages other than English. I'm also not disturbed by "other singers" either. The fact is, that this is NOT just songs sung in a "different language" by 'other singers'. It is music i've known intimately for 43 years coupled with completely unfamiliar vocals, and i find that combination disturbing and i don't like it (let alone finding the new vocals far less elegant and amazing than Elvis'). I would have prefered a whole new recording. That's all I was saying of this "treatment" of TYM. I'm glad elvis enjoyed it and glad others do as well. And thanks for letting me know it's a big world even though that world ain't big enough for how I'm reacting. Got it. It is a big enough world for others to have opinions and reactions that you don't have -- like you said, enjoy or don't. I never said or implied that others should not enjoy it. I hope it sells a million copies by January. But stop with the "that is concerning" business, okay. It is not your concern and you have not understood what I was saying and seem to be subtly implying something or other. Go ahead and do what you want, and please allow me the same. And read what I actually write next time, please. It IS a big world.

That this same sort of thing happened last time i tried posting on this site is -- i remember being instructed to sit back and just not think about what i was wondering about -- well, that is also disturbing whether you like it or not. That put me off this forum for a while and now, here we go again. F#$% you and your "concern."
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Elvis on Instagram, writing to Jorge Drexler:

Dear Jorge
The last twenty-four hours have been a time in which Sebastian and I have allowed ourselves a little celebration at the curiosity and the delight most people have expressed upon finally hearing "Spanish Model", a record which would already be a year old, had the world not ended for a while.

Today also has another face.

I've never properly understood why we should be expected to feel more depth of sorrow on particular anniversaries. The calculations of mathematicians, astronomers or the skill of the clocksmith that give us time and the calendar do not govern memory or our emotions but we seem to need these markers for events of a scale that we cannot tolerate alone.

I lost my mother in January. I miss her at the most unexpected hours. The cue to these sorrows can be the slightest of things; an innocent joke, a trite melody or line in a sentimental movie that unlocks the door to a room filled with tears.

So, even as we throw our hats in the air and toast to the friendship and mischief of our newly released work, the world outside breaks through from a spot not very far from where I am writing to you. It's a place where people have gathered to remember.

I wrote a song a couple of years ago called, "We Are All Cowards Now". The cowardice it spoke of was not that of the sly killer, the anonymous soapbox assassin and certainly not that of the panicked young deserter. It was about not having the courage to love. We can all find convenient reasons to have such courage abandon us.

One verse spoke of a memorial:

"They're draping stones with colours and roll of stolen names
Except those we never cared about and those we need to blame"

It's hard to love your enemy or as I once recited so faithfully, to forgive those who trespass against us. I wish I knew how to do it and not let fear or ignorance invite rage.

I'm writing these lines to thank you for the great care you took and the understanding with which you adapted my song "Night Rally" to render "La Turba". I was so glad to speak with you about words and images that might have appeared obscure in a literal translation.

You did a superb job in rendering the sense of dread in the lyric. I knew you would recognize this song as an alarm suited for "now" as much as "then". The beauty of your singing was much more than I could have imagined. It is a strange but necessary contradiction to sometimes find beauty in the music to carry the darkest fears.

Thank you for joining us in this adventure. So much of it is pop music with a rock and roll beat but songs that have been turned upside down and back to front in another tongue by the energy and wit of your fellow guest artists.

So, we can still pause our revels for other considerations.

Like La Marisol, who found new emotional depth in "Little Triggers" as "Detonantes", you did not have tempo to generate this intensity, you had to find it in the instrumental performance of the Attractions and within your original and personal interpretation of the lyrical theme.

"Night Rally" was the final track of the original U.K. running order of "This Year's Model" and that was no accident. So there had to be a place for these more serious lines in among the desire, the drum beat and reversed gaze of other songs on "Spanish Model".

I look forward to hearing your own next record and that day when we finally get to meet face to face.

With respect and affection. Elvis Costello.
cwr

Post by cwr »

jardine wrote:
cwr wrote:
"Treated this way"?

What the hell are you implying here?
And read what I actually write next time, please. It IS a big world.

F#$% you and your "concern."
My apologies for misinterpreting your expressions of dislike as expressions of disgust, but the word choice I was taking issue with *was* what you wrote, which seemed to be implying that this new project was so disturbing to you that it might be the final straw in your overall fandom for an artist you have admired for decades. Sorry for misunderstanding what you found disturbing about this particular project.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I can understand where you are both coming from. In my view it is the word “disturbing” that is generating the heat.

Personally this album does nothing for me. It is my ignorance I guess that means I can’t get into it. I’m pleased others are enjoying it though.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

And No Coffee Table wrote:Elvis on Instagram, writing to Jorge Drexler:
Ayako on Facebook points out this was in response to Drexler's Instagram post:

Por fin, salió “LA TURBA”, una adaptación que hice de la canción “NIGHT RALLY” de @elviscostello!!

Por canciones como “Night Rally” es que estoy en esta profesión.
Son “canciones prisma”: dan un reflejo diferente con cada movimiento nuevo de la luz de la realidad histórica. No pierden vigencia porque están diseñadas con una insólita clarividencia, que las hace ver y anticipar -como en este caso, en 1978- demonios que hoy en día siguen acechándonos.
Originalmente descrita por Costello como una “campana de alarma” ante el auge de movimientos fascistas como el National Front, en la Gran Bretaña de los 70’, la canción sigue interpelándonos hoy en día y enfrentándonos, como dice su autor, al hecho de que “subestimar la atracción primitiva del autoritarismo es un error histórico”. Más aún, nos dice que la intolerancia extrema nace a veces rodeada de un sentimiento casi de jovial camaradería entre personas que buscan respuestas fáciles…y que ninguno de nosotros es completamente inmune a esa seducción, y puede cualquier día encontrarse incorporado a un “Night Rally” (la turba, el tumulto, la asonada, el pogromo.)
Además del honor y del desafío casi temerario que ya de por sí implicaba trabajar con uno de mis principales héroes, (cantando encima de la increíble base original de The Attractions !!) tuve la alegría inesperada de ver a Elvis Costello implicado profundamente en el proceso, dedicándome horas de conversación y páginas de emails llenos de cariño e inspiración durante la adaptación de la que el mismo consideraba una de las canciones más difíciles de abordar de la colección.
“La turba” para mi fue más que un trabajo exigente de adaptación de una canción (siempre adaptar del inglés al castellano es un sufrimiento porque necesitamos más sílabas para decir lo mismo) y un desafío enorme como cantante, fue un proceso en el cual aprendí que la visión histórica de un autor unida a su nivel musical insólito, pueden estar acompañadas por una humildad y una cercanía humanas desconcertantes.
Quiero también agradecer a @sebastiankrys por proponerme este desafío maravilloso. Espero sinceramente que les guste.

Google translation:

Finally, “LA TURBA” came out, an adaptation I made of the song “NIGHT RALLY” by @elviscostello !!

It is because of songs like "Night Rally" that I am in this profession.
They are "prism songs": they give a different reflection with each new movement of the light of historical reality. They do not lose their validity because they are designed with an unusual clairvoyance, which makes them see and anticipate - as in this case, in 1978 - demons that continue to haunt us today.
Originally described by Costello as an "alarm bell" before the rise of fascist movements such as the National Front, in Great Britain in the 1970s, the song continues to challenge us today and confront us, as its author says, with the fact that "To underestimate the primitive appeal of authoritarianism is a historical mistake." Furthermore, it tells us that extreme intolerance is sometimes born surrounded by a feeling of almost jovial camaraderie between people seeking easy answers ... and that none of us is completely immune to that seduction, and can any day find ourselves incorporated into a "Night Rally ”(The mob, the tumult, the riot, the pogrom.)
In addition to the honor and the almost reckless challenge that working with one of my main heroes already entailed, (singing on top of the incredible original base of The Attractions !!) I had the unexpected joy of seeing Elvis Costello deeply involved in the process , dedicating hours of conversation and pages of emails full of love and inspiration during the adaptation of what he considered one of the most difficult songs to tackle in the collection.
"La turba" for me was more than a demanding job of adapting a song (always adapting from English to Spanish is a pain because we need more syllables to say the same thing) and a huge challenge as a singer, it was a process in which I learned that the historical vision of an author, together with his unusual musical level, can be accompanied by a disconcerting human humility and closeness.
I also want to thank @sebastiankrys for proposing me this wonderful challenge. I sincerely hope you like it.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis on Twitter -

Spanish Model documentary series launches today! We will be dropping one episode every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday over the next couple weeks at 9am EST on Youtube. Tune in to see how the album was made! - https://elviscostello.lnk.to/SMDocPR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GN07iQ ... ex=1&t=13s
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

verbal gymnastics wrote:I can understand where you are both coming from. In my view it is the word “disturbing” that is generating the heat.

Personally this album does nothing for me. It is my ignorance I guess that means I can’t get into it. I’m pleased others are enjoying it though.
That's fine, and I don't think it's anything to do with 'ignorance'. It's just taste, surely? I'm still baffled by North and still don't get why other people seem to like it so much. But there you go.

I confess (as I have above) that the real draw for me is the bits of extra instrumentation (or even just remixed instrumentation). Pete's brilliant fade-out on 'No Action' (and the way it now segues into the intro of 'Chelsea' - that's worth more to me than any amount of Spanish singing, if honest. But the Spanish singing is still good fun!
Last edited by Hawksmoor on Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arnie

Post by Arnie »

I just took the dog for a walk and reluctantly decided to give this new release a listen. Was pleasantly surprised how much I like it.

Just reminds me what a tight band the Attractions were, and still are. How great of a drummer Pete Thomas is. Bruce's driving bass lines. Steve's creaky organ motifs.

And so now, the original album now sounds completely fresh and new to me again. Think of it as a vintage car restoration, stripped down to the frame and every part disassembled but kept, cleaned up, given different colors of paint, the chrome polished, the rusty Elvis vocal engine removed and various new ones put in. Not all them work, but most of them do. Its been a while since I gave my original This Years Model a spin, mostly because it sounded way too familiar and was tired of hearing it the same way over and over. Then watching that part 1 youtube documentary --- I like it even more!
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

Isn't it a bit worrying thatmany people seem to enjoy the (almost complete) absence of Elvis Costello on this release?

He had already proved that
he doesn't have to wite new lyrics (Wise Up Ghost)
write melodies (too many songs in recent years)
sing in tune (first in concert, recently also on record)

and now he's proved that
he doesn't have to sing at all ...

And still that seems to please a sizeable fanbase.

What is there left to like? The silhouette of a cut-out version of his former self? Uglified by crude computer graphics?

I may need a long Elvis Costello break ...

PS Sorry about the rant. I had to get this off my chest. Surely you don't have to agree! :D
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Ymaginatif wrote:Isn't it a bit worrying thatmany people seem to enjoy the (almost complete) absence of Elvis Costello on this release?

He had already proved that
he doesn't have to wite new lyrics (Wise Up Ghost)
write melodies (too many songs in recent years)
sing in tune (first in concert, recently also on record)

and now he's proved that
he doesn't have to sing at all ...

And still that seems to please a sizeable fanbase.

What is there left to like? The silhouette of a cut-out version of his former self? Uglified by crude computer graphics?

I may need a long Elvis Costello break ...

PS Sorry about the rant. I had to get this off my chest. Surely you don't have to agree! :D
Ranting is fine, but seriously, none of this actually matters. It's not remotely 'worrying' that people are enjoying this record. It's a bit of a laugh and a fun way to enjoy some old songs in a new format. That's it - that's really all it is.

And no, he doesn't have to 'sing at all'. He doesn't have to do anything. At all. I assume he's a multi-millionaire, with a huge back catalogue that continues to sell, and songs in twenty or thirty movies that keep the royalties rolling in without him lifting a finger. If he never works again for the rest of his life, he'll still enjoy a life of luxury and fame that you or I could barely dream of. Or he could be Paul Simon, and sit on his arse for five years between each LP.

Instead, he continues to come up with new ideas, make new LPs, collaborate on tracks with other artists, and generally keep the records flowing. I like that, and I'm thoroughly enjoying the stuff he's put out in the last couple of years (including this one).

If you're not - fine. Take a break. Listen to all of Dylan's LPs back-to-back for a month, or get obsessed with Marx Brothers movies, or read every Dickens novel, or...whatever. There's plenty of stuff out there. Enjoy.

But it's not 'worrying' that some EC fans are enjoying this LP. It really isn't. :)
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://cnnespanol.cnn.com/2021/09/13/e ... ston-orix/

La inspiración de Elvis Costello para reimaginar uno de sus clásicos álbumes, "This Year's Model", a "Spanish Model", un disco entero en español

(CNN Español) – Elvis Costello no habla español, pero eso no lo detuvo al proponerle a uno de sus productores, el argentino Sebastián Krys, adaptar uno de sus discos más icónicos, "This Year's Model", al idioma de Cervantes.

Una propuesta que inspiró primero silencio en Sebastián Krys, por lo arriesgado del asunto. Pero siendo Costello un innovador nato, de la sorpresa pasó a la emoción, lo que resultó en "Spanish Model", un disco colaborativo, en el que 19 artistas hispanos interpretan adaptaciones al español de clásicos como "Pump It Up", "This Year's Girl", "Lip Service" o "Night Rally".

"Al inicio estaba un poco sorprendido. Lo pensé y se me vinieron tres cosas a la mente. La primera es que él siempre, como artista —si sigues su carrera— él ha hecho lo inesperado. Y no necesariamente era lo que la gente quería, o lo que la gente pensaba que él debería hacer, lo que para mí es una señal de un verdadero artista", dijo Sebastián Krys a Zona Pop CNN.

"La segunda es que la idea era de él y la tercera es que esta es una oportunidad de llevar sus ideas y su música a una nueva audiencia que quizás no lo ha descubierto aún", agregó Krys.

De una canción para HBO a un disco

Elvis Costello relata que el irreverente plan de llevar sus éxitos al español se le ocurrió en 2018, cuando se le propuso adaptar la canción "This Year's Girl" para la segunda temporada de la serie "The Deuce" de HBO.

"Se nos pidió revisitar un remix de una de las canciones de This Year's Model. Y durante el remix, Sebastián (Krys) encontró que las grabaciones, las interpretaciones de The Attractions, sonaban muy bien... increíblemente vívidas. Nos pidieron agregar una voz femenina en la mezcla. Pensaba, escuchar otro cantante en una canción que he conocido por 40 años... me llevó a tomar este paso, aunque extraño, arriesgado. ¿Qué pasa si hago esto con cada tema? Y adivina... ¡en español! Porque sabía que Sebastián conocía quién podía ser tan arriesgado como para unirse al reto", dijo Elvis Costello en una entrevista vía Zoom con Zona Pop CNN.

Por coincidencia, el primer tema que grabaron del disco fue precisamente ese, "This Year's Girl", pero lo adaptaron al español como "La chica de hoy". Para ello reclutaron a la cantautora chilena Cami Gallardo.

"Este fue el primer track que grabamos. Fue Cami (Gallardo) en This Year's Girl, y fue una revelación porque de repente todo funcionó", dijo Krys.

"La interpretación de Cami de This Year's Girl fue conmovedora porque cuando escribí esta canción, muchos hombres la escucharon con desdén hacia las mujeres. Pero lo que yo decía, si lees muy bien la letra en inglés, es que ves una foto en mil lugares porque ella es la chica del momento. Nunca dice que la mujer no es responsable. Es todo un juego de los (hombres) jóvenes, de su deseo, de cómo a una mujer a veces le es pedido ser el centro de atención para ser atractiva", dijo Costello.

"Hay toda una dinámica en esta canción con Cami, y cuando veas el documental sobre este disco, podrás ver a Cami leyendo la letra de la canción... Su reacción fue tan refrescante porque fue como: 'bueno, ya sabes por lo que hemos pasado todo este tiempo'", dijo Costello.

Además de Cami Gallardo, en la producción también participan artistas como Juanes, quien interpreta "Pump It Up", Fito Páez, quien canta "Radio, Radio", o Sebastián Yatra, quien interpreta "Llorar" (Big Tears).

"Es encantador pensar que alguien que no haya escuchado mi nombre en el pasado pueda escuchar estas canciones porque les gusta Juanes o Yatra o Draco (Rosa)", dijo Costello.

¿Cómo fue adaptar las canciones de Elvis Costello al español?

Los clásicos temas de "This Year's Model" fueron adaptado al español por compositores como Luis Mitre, Elsten Torres, Ximena Muñoz, Andie Sandoval y Vega, además de los propios intérpretes.

Según Sebastián Krys, para este disco querían trabajar con artistas que conocieran la música de Elvis Costello para que de esa manera pudiesen entender el tamaño del compromiso.

"Creo que es importante decir que hay una diferencia entre adaptación y traducción. Especialmente en este tipo de música, en donde hay mucho tempo y ritmo. La voz se convierte en otro instrumento de percusión. Debes tener respeto por la cadencia y la cantidad de sílabas en cada línea para que suene bien, especialmente si ya te sabes las canciones. Imagínate Pump It Up, y si agregas sílabas o restas sílabas, no va a sonar de la misma forma", explicó Krys.

"Sebastián (Krys) fue muy amable al traducir literalmente (las adaptaciones) cuando diferían mucho de la original. Obviamente, hay varias palabras en común entre el inglés y el español que las puedo ver escritas y saber lo que están diciendo. Por ejemplo, cuando escuché Fuego y escuché la palabra paparazzo, dije: 'ok, está hablando de lo mismo que en Chelsea'. Algo que me tomó por sorpresa fue (escuchar a) Fito (Páez) decir mi nombre en Radio, Radio, también (cuando dijo) whisky. Sé que whisky no estaba en la letra original, así que sé que estaba contando una historia distinta. Cuando le pregunté a Sebastián qué estaba diciendo Fito y me lo envió, (pienso que) solo la hizo mejor", dijo Costello.

El español, un legado familiar

Aunque Costello ya explicó que no habla español y que a pesar de eso pensó en adaptar sus temas a este idioma, sí hay un factor familiar que lo hace pensar ¿cómo le hubiese gustado a su padre escuchar este disco?

Algunos de los recuerdos más preciados de Costello incluyen a su padre cantando temas en español, incluyendo "Cuándo calienta el sol" de Luis Miguel.

"Mi padre hablaba español y era cantante. Uno de mis mejores recuerdos es tener ocho años y estar en un salón de baile un sábado por la tarde cuando tenían una matiné. Yo esperaba a que mi padre cantara. Y muy a menudo, la única canción que cantaba estaba en otro idioma, porque podía hacer eso. Cuando cantaba Cuando calienta el sol, una canción muy famosa que tenía un perfil internacional, podía cantar junto a él la primera línea, pero no me arriesgaría a cantar el resto, nunca heredé su don para los idiomas", cuenta Costello.

"Un amigo mío español le preguntó una vez a mi padre, '¿dónde aprendiste español?' Y él dijo, 'en la cama'. Eso era cierto, se enamoró de una española. Y esa fue su razón para aprender a hablar, para poder comunicar el amor a alguien. Me emociono un poco al contarlo, pero es perfectamente cierto. Él estaría encantado con este disco", contó Costello.

Para Sebastián Krys, el proyecto en español trata de construir puentes culturales.

"Para mí, creo en cualquier cosa que construya puentes, musicalmente en este caso, a través del tiempo y la cultura. Tenemos 19 artistas, tantos países representados en este disco y tantas generaciones de músicos que fueron realmente generosos y quieren ser parte de esto. Y para Elvis (Costello), que es uno de los compositores modernos más importantes, permitirnos adaptar su música a otro idioma y hacerlo de esta manera, dejándonos abrir estas pistas para este álbum clásico, es solo, es un testimonio tanto de él como de los artistas que lo integran. Es un proyecto único y totalmente original que nunca se ha hecho. Y, sorprendentemente, funciona. Podría haber sido un desastre", dijo Sebatián Krys a Zona Pop CNN.

—————————
Google translation:

Elvis Costello's inspiration to reimagine one of his classic albums, "This Year's Model", to "Spanish Model", an entire album in Spanish

(CNN Spanish) - Elvis Costello does not speak Spanish, but that did not stop him by proposing to one of his producers, Argentine Sebastián Krys, to adapt one of his most iconic albums, "This Year's Model", into the language of Cervantes.

A proposal that first inspired silence in Sebastián Krys, due to the risky nature of the matter. But Costello being a born innovator, from surprise to emotion, resulting in "Spanish Model", a collaborative album, in which 19 Hispanic artists perform Spanish adaptations of classics such as "Pump It Up", "This Year's Girl "," Lip Service "or" Night Rally ".

"At the beginning I was a bit surprised. I thought about it and three things came to my mind. The first is that he always, as an artist - if you follow his career - he has done the unexpected. And it was not necessarily what people wanted , or what people thought he should do, which for me is a sign of a true artist, "Sebastián Krys told Zona Pop CNN.

"The second is that the idea was his and the third is that this is an opportunity to bring his ideas and his music to a new audience that may not have discovered it yet," added Krys.

From a song for HBO to a record

Elvis Costello relates that the irreverent plan to bring his successes to Spanish came to him in 2018, when he proposed to adapt the song "This Year's Girl" for the second season of the HBO series "The Deuce".

"We were asked to revisit a remix of one of the songs from This Year's Model. And during the remix, Sebastián (Krys) found that the recordings, the performances of The Attractions, sounded great ... incredibly vivid. They asked us to add one. female voice in the mix. I was thinking, hearing another singer on a song that I have known for 40 years ... led me to take this step, albeit strange, risky. What if I do this with every song? And guess what ... In Spanish! Because I knew that Sebastián knew who could be so risky as to join the challenge, "said Elvis Costello in an interview via Zoom with Zona Pop CNN.

By coincidence, the first song they recorded on the album was precisely that, "This Year's Girl", but they adapted it to Spanish as "La chica de hoy". For this they recruited the Chilean singer-songwriter Cami Gallardo.

"This was the first track we recorded. It was Cami (Gallardo) on This Year's Girl, and it was a revelation because suddenly it all worked out," Krys said.

"Cami's rendition of This Year's Girl was moving because when I wrote this song, many men listened to it with disdain for women. But what I was saying, if you read the English lyrics very well, is that you see a photo in a thousand places Because she is the girl of the moment. She never says that the woman is not responsible. It is all a game of the young (men), of their desire, of how a woman is sometimes asked to be the center of attention to be attractive "Costello said.

"There is a whole dynamic in this song with Cami, and when you watch the documentary about this album, you can see Cami reading the lyrics of the song ... Her reaction was so refreshing because it was like: 'well, you know what we've been through all this time, '"Costello said.

Besides Cami Gallardo, artists like Juanes, who plays "Pump It Up", Fito Páez, who sings "Radio, Radio", or Sebastián Yatra, who plays "Llorar" (Big Tears) also participate in the production.

"It's lovely to think that someone who hasn't heard my name in the past can listen to these songs because they like Juanes or Yatra or Draco (Rosa)," Costello said.

What was it like to adapt Elvis Costello's songs to Spanish?

The classic themes of "This Year's Model" were adapted into Spanish by composers such as Luis Miter, Elsten Torres, Ximena Muñoz, Andie Sandoval and Vega, as well as the interpreters themselves.

According to Sebastián Krys, for this album they wanted to work with artists who knew the music of Elvis Costello so that that way they could understand the size of the commitment.

"I think it is important to say that there is a difference between adaptation and translation. Especially in this type of music, where there is a lot of tempo and rhythm. The voice becomes another percussion instrument. You must have respect for the cadence and the amount of syllables on each line to make it sound good, especially if you already know the songs. Imagine Pump It Up, and if you add syllables or subtract syllables, it's not going to sound the same, "Krys explained.

"Sebastián (Krys) was very kind to translate literally (the adaptations) when they were very different from the original. Obviously, there are several words in common between English and Spanish that I can see them written and know what they are saying. For example, when I heard Fuego and heard the word paparazzo, I said: 'ok, he's talking about the same thing as in Chelsea.' Something that took me by surprise was (listening to) Fito (Páez) say my name on Radio, Radio, also (when He said) whiskey. I know whiskey wasn't in the original lyrics, so I know he was telling a different story. When I asked Sebastian what Fito was saying and he sent it to me, (I think) he just made it better, "Costello said. .

Spanish, a family legacy

Although Costello already explained that he does not speak Spanish and that despite that he thought of adapting his songs to this language, there is a family factor that makes him think, how would his father have liked to listen to this album?

Some of Costello's fondest memories include his father singing songs in Spanish, including "When he warms the sun" by Luis Miguel.

"My father spoke Spanish and was a singer. One of my best memories is being eight years old and being in a dance hall on a Saturday afternoon when they had a matinee. I waited for my father to sing. And very often, the only one. song he sang was in another language, because he could do that. When he sang When the sun warms up, a very famous song that had an international profile, I could sing along with it the first line, but I would not risk singing the rest, I never inherited his gift for languages, "says Costello.

"A Spanish friend of mine once asked my father, 'Where did you learn Spanish?' And he said, “in bed.” That was true, he fell in love with a Spanish woman. And that was his reason for learning to speak, to be able to communicate love to someone. I get a little excited when I tell it, but it's perfectly true. He would be delighted with this record, "Costello said.

For Sebastián Krys, the project in Spanish tries to build cultural bridges.

"For me, I believe in anything that builds bridges, musically in this case, across time and culture. We have 19 artists, so many countries represented on this record, and so many generations of musicians who were really generous and want to be a part of this. And for Elvis (Costello), who is one of the most important modern composers, to allow us to adapt his music to another language and to do it this way, letting us open these tracks for this classic album, it's just, it's a testament to both him and him. of the artists that make it up. It's a unique and totally original project that has never been done. And, surprisingly, it works. It could have been a disaster, "Sebatián Krys told Zona Pop CNN.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis Costello at the St Patrick’s Day parade, Dublin , March 1978.

Its nice to get a brief glimpse of this in the new video .
Arnie

Post by Arnie »

Agreed, John. Looks like a fun time at that parade.

So many good spots in this video. Nick Lowe, Pete's comments, even Bruce Thomas giving a ringing endorsement -- not expected. The overall enthusiasm of the project was genuine and comes across well.

This Years Girl was especially poignant with Cami. With it now sang from a woman's perspective, and in a different language, as if the male-thinking world (or at least in Texas) is tone-deaf . . . . . super powerful,. . . . "You think you all own little pieces of this years girl" - just one of many lyrics you could spin in totally new directions.
Last edited by Arnie on Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.