Spanish Model, Sept 10, 2021 - New release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums!!

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Re: Spanish Model, Sept 10, 2021 - New release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums

Post by sweetest punch »

Big Tears (new remaster): https://youtu.be/kqihDbXDOMY
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Re: Spanish Model, Sept 10, 2021 - New release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

https://www.ft.com/content/cd240e7a-66f ... 3e61754ec6

Financial Times

4/5 September 2021

The singer-songwriter on his Hispanophone reimagining of classic 1978 album This Year’s Model and why it is no exercise in nostalgia

“The feeling on the stage was: ‘What the hell, let’s have a good time, because we don’t know when we’ll do this again.’ I don’t think anybody thought it would take as long as this.”

Elvis Costello is remembering the last time he stood on a stage in front of an audience — March 13 2020, one of the last gigs in London before the pandemic ended live performances. “The Wednesday night I was at Anfield, watching Liverpool lose to Atlético [Madrid], with 55,000 people. Thursday night I was playing in Manchester and I could see holes in the crowd where people had obviously thought better of coming, even though the show was sold out. Likewise in London.”

There was, for the first time at any of the shows I attended in that febrile week, a real sense of fear at large. At one point Costello addressed the crowd: “We’re all gonna be all right, if we do the right thing. Or maybe we’re not. But our time has to come.” The Costello songbook has often dwelt on emotional darkness but it is not, I suggest, usual to tell one’s crowd to prepare for death.

“Did I say that?” he replies. “Oh good. I do have a dark sense of humour, but I don’t think anyone thought it would become as grievous as it has. So I said to the guys when we came into the wings: ‘Let’s play “Hurry Down Doomsday”, this song’s hour has come finally.’ I said it with a whistling-past-the-graveyard attitude.”

It turned out to be a busy pandemic for Costello. He released one new album, 2020’s Hey Clockface, and completed another. This, entitled Spanish Model, doesn’t feature Costello performing anything new, but it’s indisputably a new album. Released alongside a new remastering of This Year’s Model, his brilliant 1978 album, Spanish Model features assorted luminaries of the Hispanophone pop world — including the Colombian star Juanes, and Luis Fonsi, maker of 2017’s inescapable Despacito — singing Spanish versions of This Year’s Model material, to the backing of the original tapes of Costello and the Attractions.

It’s the kind of project that rather invites the question: why?

“Because we can, and I imagined it,” Costello says. The idea sprang from being asked to take the song “This Year’s Girl” and add a female voice to it, to feature as the theme to the second season of David Simon’s TV show The Deuce.

“We revisited the tapes and found them in good order,” he says. “And when we pushed the faders up without my voice, something was happening that you had never heard quite that way before.” So, having fiddled with one song, why not fiddle with them all, in Spanish?

I mention Dave Edmunds’ version of the Costello song “Girls Talk”, and how it seems to mean something different to Costello’s own version simply by sounding different. “I think this is much more profound, in the sense of transformation,” he says. “Not being a Spanish speaker, I had to trust it was done with integrity. The artists wanted to ask me questions about little idioms in the lyrics, so they could make it work in a Spanish adaptation. These are obviously not literal translations, because literal translations wouldn’t work with the music.

“So that alone changes the task of adapting it truthfully. If the nuance of the lyric is slightly changed, I embrace that. And, of course, the most obvious thing, in the case of the young women who sing on the record, is that it flips the perspective around. The songs tended to be seen as a young man’s gaze, and at the time I felt people read into them something that wasn’t always there, which was a hatred of women. But I guess the way I sing makes everything sound furious and angry.”

Costello has one of the richest catalogues in pop: 44 years of records, many of them brilliant, some glorious and fascinating failures, none boring and by-the-rote. He is not overly concerned with that past; he wants to be perceived as looking to the future. A gentle inquiry about legacy is met with the response: “That’s a business page question. I’m not building a legacy. I won’t be here to worry about it.”

Instead, he’s working. He and his producer/collaborator Sebastian Krys have been working on nine separate albums over the past few years, since 2018’s Look Now. This flurry, he says, is a response to realising he’d gone several years of recording only collaborations or special guest appearances.

I never felt at the centre of anything. I wasn’t paying attention to those markers

“I woke up one day and said: ‘What the hell am I doing? Why aren’t I recording properly? Why am I not still doing this?’ We did Look Now because I had an accumulation of really good songs, and the minute we started doing that one thing led to another.”

He’s also realistic. “People aren’t holding their breath till my next record comes out. It’s not that kind of career now.”

So, does he miss the days when people were holding their breath until his next record, when he seemed more central to popular culture? “It’s a relief, to be honest. You don’t invite [fame] and you can’t predict its longevity and really quite a lot of the time you’re either not aware of it or deeply ungrateful for it. I never felt at the centre of anything. I wasn’t paying attention to those markers. I was thinking of the next song and I always have been.”

So what Spanish Model isn’t, Costello insists, is nostalgia. “In my opinion, you could have made that record last week, if you could find people that could play like that,” he says, bullishly. He has no desire to soundtrack other people’s sentimental journeys into the past. “Many of the songs have remained in the repertoire. But my attitude to all old songs is if I can’t sing them as I feel about them now, I shouldn’t sing them. If I’m singing them out of nostalgia, then there’s no point in doing it.”

He would rather you think of Spanish Model as a new album. That might be a bit much, but to be fair — it certainly doesn’t sound old.

‘Spanish Model’ and the remastered vinyl edition of ‘This Year’s Model’ are released on September 10 by UMC
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

'He and his producer/collaborator Sebastian Krys have been working on nine separate albums over the past few years, since 2018’s Look Now '

Nine !
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

johnfoyle wrote:'He and his producer/collaborator Sebastian Krys have been working on nine separate albums over the past few years, since 2018’s Look Now '

Nine !
Yeah, that's hugely encouraging. As is the bit that says it's 'a response to realising he'd gone several years of recording only collaborations or special guest appearances' and the bit where he says 'what the hell am I doing? Why aren't I recording properly?'

Mind you, you have to balance that against the fact that, at various points in his career, he's said that making LPs is a fool's errand (particularly in financial terms) and he just wants to play live for a few years.

Of course, it's also inevitably true that not being able to play live for eighteen months has probably refocused his attention on the process of making LPs. But I'll take that, if he's got nine up his sleeve.

He's already produced such a gargantuan and wide ranging body of work, that, sure, even if he just stopped recording right now, there'd still be enough Elvis music there for me to explore for the rest of my life. But I want more!

One of the reasons I've stayed in love with Elvis (since 1978) is that he's never seemed like one of those artists that knocks out an LP and then takes three years off before they think 'I better try and write some songs for a new LP'. In my head he's constantly writing, constantly thinking about his next project, constantly changing the set-list because he's bursting to play you a new song he just wrote.

When he says 'people aren't holding their breath until my next record comes out', I feel like I want to put my hand up and say 'I am, sir!' :D
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Spot on as always Hawksmoor.

Somewhat [insert your own adjective] a lot of the collaborations don’t work for me so I am always far more excited when I read of a new album with the Imposters. A lot of the collaborations leave me cold although some do work.

As well as his constant writing, thinking of his next projects etc, I wonder where he also gets the time to listen to music as he’s constantly name checking all kinds of artists and has an incredible knowledge of their works.

I’m waiting for the first person to ask him about the new ABBA album.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Hey Elvis

What do you think of the new ABBA album?

- wait over VG :oops:
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

Hawksmoor wrote: One of the reasons I've stayed in love with Elvis (since 1978) is that he's never seemed like one of those artists that knocks out an LP and then takes three years off before they think 'I better try and write some songs for a new LP'. In my head he's constantly writing, constantly thinking about his next project, constantly changing the set-list because he's bursting to play you a new song he just wrote.
I think he himself admitted numerous times that he falls into the first category (especially for the last 25-30 years or so). I remember him saying that he is not so much a prolific writer as a writer who can write very fast when it's time to produce new product ...
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Top balcony wrote:Hey Elvis

What do you think of the new ABBA album?

- wait over VG :oops:
Well no surprise here !! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

NINE albums?

If we count Look Now, Spanish Model and Clockface, that still leaves six. I presume one of them is Face in the Crowd. The rest... are anyone's guess!
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Neil. wrote:NINE albums?

If we count Look Now, Spanish Model and Clockface, that still leaves six. I presume one of them is Face in the Crowd. The rest... are anyone's guess!
And at a pinch, one of them could have been the 'expanded' PFM for which he's been writing songs with Burt? Still leaves four unaccounted for.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://mobile.twitter.com/elviscostello

Coming tonight, @SebastianYatra’s video for “Llorar”, a song from Elvis Costello’s highly anticipated album ‘Spanish Model!’
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

sweetest punch wrote:https://mobile.twitter.com/elviscostello

Coming tonight, @SebastianYatra’s video for “Llorar”, a song from Elvis Costello’s highly anticipated album ‘Spanish Model!’
Ooooh, I wonder what song this could be? A new version of a 'Model' song, or something else completely?
sweetest punch

Re: Spanish This Year’s Model - New release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums!!

Post by sweetest punch »

And No Coffee Table wrote:https://music.apple.com/us/album/1575818583

Expected 10 September 2021

1. No Action - Elvis Costello & The Attractions & Nina Diaz
2. (Yo No Quiero Ir A) Chelsea) (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea - Elvis Costello & The Attractions, Raquel Sofia & Fuego
3. Yo Te Ví (The Beat) - Elvis Costello & The Attractions & Draco Rosa
4. Pump It Up - Elvis Costello & The Attractions & Juanes
5. Detonantes (Little Triggers) - Elvis Costello & The Attractions & La Marisoul
6. Tu Eres Para Mí (You Belong To Me) - Elvis Costello & The Attractions & Luis Fonsi
7. Hand In Hand - Elvis Costello & The Attractions, Francisca Valenzuela & Luis Humberto Navejas
8. La Chica De Hoy (This Year's Girl) - Elvis Costello & The Attractions & Cami
9, Mentira (Lip Service) - Elvis Costello & The Attractions & Pablo López
10. Viviendo En El Paraíso (Living In Paradise) - Elvis Costello & The Attractions & Jesse & Joy
11. Lipstick Vogue - Elvis Costello & The Attractions & Morat
12. La Turba (Night Rally) - Elvis Costello & The Attractions & Jorge Drexler
13. Llorar (Big Tears) - Elvis Costello & The Attractions & Sebastián Yatra
14. Radio, Radio - Elvis Costello & The Attractions & Fito Páez
15. Crawling To The U.S.A. - Elvis Costello & The Attractions, Gian Marco & Nicole Zignago
16. Se Esta Perdiendo La Inocencia (Running Out Of Angels) - Elvis Costello & The Attractions & Vega
17. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea (Dub Remix) - Elvis Costello & The Attractions, Raquel Sofia & Fuego
18. Pump It Up (Duet Remix) - Elvis Costello & The Attractions & Juanes
19. Pump It Up (Brutal Remix) - Elvis Costello & The Attractions
Last edited by sweetest punch on Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch wrote:https://www.elviscostello.com/#!/news/299869

ELVIS COSTELLO AND THE ATTRACTIONS’ CLASSIC ALBUM, THIS YEAR’S MODEL, AND NEW SPANISH LANGUAGE ADAPTATION, SPANISH MODEL, EXPLORED IN NEW DOCUMENTARY

Trailer launches today and features Draco Rosa, Fito Páez, Jorge Drexler, Juanes, La Marisoul, Luis Fonsi, Nicole Zignago, Pablo López, Raquel Sofía Sebastián Yatra and Vega

For Elvis Costello’s latest project, Spanish Model, the ever musically curious artist, along with multi GRAMMY® award-winning producer Sebastian Krys, recruited an international cast of Latin pop and rock artists from around the globe to record his classic 1977 debut album with The Attractions, This Year’s Model, entirely in Spanish. An eclectic mix of singers and musicians, including Cami, Draco Rosa, Juanes, La Marisoul, Luis Fonsi, Sebastian Yatra and many others, performed the adapted songs alongside Costello & The Attractions timeless performances from the original master recordings.

An exciting new trailer for Spanish Model releases today and gives a glimpse into the innovative project and pulls from clips and content from the forthcoming documentary about the evolution of This Year’s Model to Spanish Model, and its continuing cultural impact more than four decades later. The trailer features many of the participating artists that have transformed these songs for the Spanish-speaking world, including Draco Rosa, Fito Páez, Nicole Zignago, Jorge Drexler, Juanes, La Marisoul, Luis Fonsi, Pablo López, Raquel Sofía, Sebastián Yatra, and Vega.

The first episode of the Spanish Model documentary series will be released September 9th, the day before the album’s release via UMe.

Directed by three-time Latin GRAMMY® award winner, Jose Tillan, and produced by The POPGarage/Abrakadabra.tv, the engrossing documentary will delve deep into the story of the original record and its innovative new incarnation, the album’s popularity and influence in Latin America, the artist’s personal connections to This Year’s Model, their love for Costello’s music, and why they wanted to be a part of this unique project. In addition to nearly all of the artists who participated in the album and producer Sebastian Krys, it also includes interviews with everyone who made the original album – Costello, The Attractions’ Steve Nieve, Bruce Thomas and Pete Thomas, engineer Roger Béchirian, and producer Nick Lowe – bringing them together in a documentary about the legendary album for the first time ever.

“We are thrilled to have worked with Elvis Costello in developing six visual content shorts that tell the story of how and why This Year’s Model becomes Spanish Model,” Jose Tillan said. “This is such a unique and completely new concept, which made the process of storytelling both challenging and adventurous. It is amazing how the DNA of the original album – both the music and themes – totally resonate with Spanish speaking artists and audiences.”

“I love the humour and heart that Jose has caught in this film,” Elvis Costello said. “It’s been great to hear all these voices and see the faces of our new friends. The whole gang’s here. One last time with feeling.”

Conceived by Elvis Costello and longtime collaborator, 18-time GRAMMY® and Latin GRAMMY® award-winning producer, Sebastian Krys, Spanish Model is a daring, first of its kind record. The songs of This Year’s Model have been expertly translated and adapted into Spanish to retain their meaning, energy, attitude, and wit. The concept represents what may be a first: an artist replacing their vocals with newly recorded performances by other artists singing in another language, backed by the original music.

As Costello and Krys began to think of artists that would be a good fit, they discovered that This Year’s Model was an important record to many artists in the pan-Latin world, but its true nature had never been fully appreciated because of the language barrier. They enlisted many Costello fans, a few who Krys and Costello felt would be a great fit for the song, and all of whom have stellar careers and were excited to participate and bring their own styles to the immediacy and poignancy of the original songs, helping to create an entirely new listening experience.

Spanish Model exudes the same kind of energy and spirit as the original but with a Latin twist. With 19 featured artists representing 10 countries and territories across the Spanish-speaking world including: Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Peru, Puerto Rico, Spain, Uruguay, plus several from the United States. The album is truly a global, collaborative affair. Costello’s spiky guitars collide with band mates Steve Nieve’s carnival-esque keys and the urgent, propulsive rhythms of bassist Bruce Thomas and drummer Pete Thomas, as The Attractions virtually back a host of Latin music legends, contemporary stars and burgeoning artists for a set of thrilling Spanish-language performances imbued with each artist’s singular identity and style.
Waiting for the documentary to be released!!
jardine

Post by jardine »

and i so wish that i had enjoyed anything i've heard so far...sigh. such a great idea. Filed under "Why be interested in how someone writes for a female voice?"
WallyRando

Post by WallyRando »

Anyone heard or have any thoughts on the remaster?

I'm tepid on Spanish Model, but I might grab both if the remaster is worth it.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.elviscostello.com/#!/news/299895

ELVIS COSTELLO’S SPANISH MODEL OUT NOW VIA UMe
LATIN GLOBAL SUPERSTAR, SEBASTIÁN YATRA, TRANSFORMS ELVIS COSTELLO & THE ATTRACTIONS 1978 CLASSIC, “BIG TEARS,” INTO “LLORAR” WITH SUAVE AND SOARING SPANISH-LANGUAGE VOCALS

DOCUMENTARY SERIES LAUNCHES SEPTEMBER 13
WATCH/SHARE “LLORAR” - VIDEO DEBUTS TODAY
STREAM/BUY SPANISH MODEL

Los Angeles – September 10, 2021 – On Elvis Costello’s daring, first-of-its-kind record, Spanish Model, out today via UMe, the ever adventurous songwriter and his co-conspirator, the 18-time GRAMMY® and Latin GRAMMY® award-winning producer, Sebastian Krys, have brought together a stunning international cast of some of the biggest Latin rock and pop artists from around the globe to interpret Elvis Costello and The Attractions’ classic 1978 debut album, This Year’s Model, entirely in Spanish.

The exciting new incarnation of the album combines newly-recorded vocal performances with Costello and The Attractions’ original instrumental performances from the pristine master tapes. Spanish Model retains the spirit and energy of This Year’s Model, while revealing even greater instrumental power in the Attractions’ playing.

This is a brand new edition of these songs for the present day, for the Spanish-speaking audience or indeed anyone with the willingness to listen again and sense the imagination, integrity, and wit of these new vocal performances, which on several occasions turn the lyrical perspective, inside out and upside down.

On “This Year’s Girl,” known on the record as “La Chica De Hoy,” Chilean Latin pop star Cami offers the modern female perspective of the song. Costello says, “It’s a totally different story when you hear a young woman singing about the negotiations proposed by a man’s gaze and his assumptions, in a lyric I wrote when I was just 23.”

For “Radio Radio,” legendary Argentine songwriter and musician Fito Páez brings a new passion and humor to a complete lyrical re-write of the song. As Costello said, “Every device and circuit is speaking to us, if not yelling at us. It isn’t always easy to hold on to what you love and value but Fito knows how to do that.”

Colombian superstar Juanes turns in an exhilarating performance of “Pump It Up” that re-fashions the rhythmic delivery of the song with the new Spanish adaptation. Costello’s original backing vocals provide the trademark chorus but the mix also runs on past the original fadeout to reveal a rhythm guitar duel between Costello and Mick Jones of The Clash, a 1978 contribution not heard since the original studio date.

“Big Tears,” is sung by rising Colombian-born, Miami-bred star, Sebastián Yatra, one of the leading voices in Latin music with the current global hit and “song of the year contender,” “Pareja del Año” with Myke Towers.

Yatra puts his singular spin on a Costello song that was originally released as the B-side to “Pump It Up,” or as Costello puts, “The place where you smuggled in the songs closest to your deepest feeling and intentions.”

He added, “‘Big Tears’ should have always been on the album, as it was at least equal if not superior to some of the other songs but we always wanted to make 7” inch singles very special by having such a great track on the flip side of a hit record. Yatra’s wonderful rendition of the song, only confirms my feeling that the tune is now where it has always belonged.”

The song, translated to “Llorar,” debuts today with a rousing, retro-chic video directed by award-winning director, Pablo Croce, which features Yatra and his band as window display mannequins brought to life by a young woman (played by Joaquina) who is pulled into the world of Spanish Model while wandering the town.

Whereas Costello brought a desperate edge to a song, inspired by director Peter Bogdanovich’s 1968 motion picture, “Targets,” Yatra transforms the melodic line, taking the tune from suave to soaring and ringing out with a more hopeful emotion.

“I listened to Elvis Costello’s music thanks to my parents,” Yatra said. “My voice sounds very different than in my other songs. It’s more rock, it helped me to get more confident and not to be scared of screaming or to let out my rawer side. I felt it was very beautiful to sing this in Spanish. I want to thank Elvis for having written this song.”

Of Yatra’s interpretation, Costello said: “I sing like me. Yatra sings like him. But he in this case has taken on the story of this song in a very interesting direction. It’s beautiful, hopeful even joyful. He’s never sung anything like this before. It's tremendous what he does. I mean, he must have surprised himself.”

Spanish Model will be explored in depth in an engrossing six-part mini-documentary series, beginning September 13th, and releasing on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, culminating with the final episode on Friday, September 24th. Directed by three-time Latin GRAMMY® award winner, Jose Tillan, and produced by The POPGarage/Abrakadabra.tv, the engrossing documentary will delve deep into the story of the original record and its innovative new incarnation, the album’s popularity and influence in Latin America, the artist’s personal connections to This Year’s Model, their love for Costello’s music, and why they wanted to be a part of this unique project. In addition to nearly all of the artists who participated in the album and producer Sebastian Krys, it also includes interviews with everyone who made the original album – Costello, The Attractions’ Steve Nieve, Bruce Thomas and Pete Thomas, engineer Roger Béchirian, and producer Nick Lowe – bringing them together in a documentary about the legendary album for the first time ever. The trailer is available to view here: https://elviscostello.lnk.to/SMTrailer

“We are thrilled to have worked with Elvis Costello in developing six visual content shorts that tell the story of how and why This Year‘s Model becomes Spanish Model,” Jose Tillan said. “This is such a unique and completely new concept, which made the process of storytelling both challenging and adventurous. It is amazing how the DNA of the original album – both the music and themes – totally resonate with Spanish speaking artists and audiences.”

“I love the humour and heart that Jose has caught in this film,” Elvis Costello said. “It’s been great to hear all these voices and see the faces of our new friends. The whole gang’s here. One last time with feeling.”

Spanish Model exudes the same kind of energy and spirit as the original but with a Latin twist. With 19 featured artists representing 10 countries and territories across the Spanish-speaking world including: Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Peru, Puerto Rico, Spain, Uruguay, plus several from the United States. The album is truly a global, collaborative affair. Costello’s spiky guitars collide with band mates Steve Nieve’s carnival-esque keys and the urgent, propulsive rhythms of bassist Bruce Thomas and drummer Pete Thomas, as The Attractions virtually back a host of Latin music legends, contemporary stars and burgeoning artists for a set of thrilling Spanish-language performances imbued with each artist’s singular identity and style.

Spanish Model features such artists as: Cami, Draco Rosa, Fito Páez, Francisca Valenzuela & Luis Humberto Navejas (lead singer of Enjambre), Gian Marco & Nicole Zignago, Jesse & Joy, Jorge Drexler, Juanes, La Marisoul, Luis Fonsi, Morat, Nina Diaz, Pablo López, Raquel Sofía & Fuego, Sebastián Yatra, and Vega.

In addition to Spanish Model, This Year’s Model has been newly remastered and is now available on CD and 180-gram black vinyl with the addition of “Big Tears” and “Radio Radio.” A limited edition version, that pairs both Spanish Model and the new pressing of This Year’s Model together as a 180-gram double LP, is available exclusively via ElvisCostello.com, uDiscover and Sound Of Vinyl webstores.

Elvis Costello & The Attractions (with Various Artists) — SPANISH MODEL [CD + LP]

CD/DIGITAL
All Songs With Elvis Costello & The Attractions

No Action – Nina Diaz
(Yo No Quiero Ir A) Chelsea ((I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea) - Raquel Sofía y Fuego
Yo Te Vi (The Beat) – Draco Rosa
Pump It Up – Juanes
Detonantes (Little Triggers) – La Marisoul
Tu Eres Para Mi (You Belong To Me) – Luis Fonsi
Hand In Hand – Francisca Valenzuela y Luis Humberto Navejas
La Chica de Hoy (This Year's Girl) – Cami
Mentira (Lip Service) – Pablo López
Viviendo en el Paraiso (Living In Paradise) – Jesse & Joy
Lipstick Vogue – Morat
La Turba (Night Rally) – Jorge Drexler
Llorar (Big Tears) – Sebastián Yatra
Radio Radio – Fito Páez
Crawling To The U.S.A. - Gian Marco y Nicole Zignago
Se Esta Perdiendo La Inocencia (Running Out Of Angels) - Vega

LP
SIDE A
No Action – Nina Diaz
(Yo No Quiero Ir A) Chelsea ((I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea) - Raquel Sofía y Fuego
Yo Te Vi (The Beat) – Draco Rosa
Pump It Up – Juanes
Detonantes (Little Triggers) – La Marisoul
Tu Eres Para Mi (You Belong To Me) – Luis Fonsi
Hand In Hand – Francisca Valenzuela y Luis Humberto Navejas
La Chica de Hoy (This Year's Girl) – Cami

SIDE B
Mentira (Lip Service) – Pablo López
Viviendo en el Paraiso (Living In Paradise) – Jesse & Joy
Lipstick Vogue – Morat
La Turba (Night Rally) – Jorge Drexler
Llorar (Big Tears) – Sebastián Yatra
Radio Radio – Fito Páez
Crawling To The U.S.A. - Gian Marco y Nicole Zignago
Se Esta Perdiendo La Inocencia (Running Out Of Angels) – Vega
Last edited by sweetest punch on Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Llorar (Big Tears): https://youtu.be/r9w168otofg
taramasalata

Post by taramasalata »

It's completely brilliant and stunning:
the song itself, Yatra's singing and the beautiful video.
the whole thing turning everything into a wonderful, playful, clever yet joyful transformation into the now present and still echoing and reverberating the classic original.
Last edited by taramasalata on Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Anybody got it yet? Amazon claim mine will be delivered today...
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://inews.co.uk/culture/music/elvis ... am-1190627

‘The Beatles didn’t do too badly in German’: why Elvis Costello has re-recorded ‘This Year’s Model’ in Spanish
The veteran punk artist has recruited 19 artists including Luis Fonsi and Cami for ‘Spanish Model’ – though he doesn’t speak the language himself

“It took us 43 years to work out the thing that was holding this record back creatively, musically and commercially,” reflects Elvis Costello about This Year’s Model, his debut album with the Attractions. “My voice, and my face.”

Costello, famed for his biting lyrics and mordant wit, is joking… sort of. Fans expect the occasional left turn from the veteran songwriter, who has turned his hand to country, classical, jazz and hip-hop during a fêted career. But nothing quite like his latest project.

For Spanish Model, the musically curious Costello has taken the unprecedented step of recruiting an international cast of Latin pop and rock stars to re-record his seminal 1978 New Wave album entirely in Spanish.

Nineteen artists representing 10 countries, from Chilean talent-show winner Cami to Luis Fonsi, the Puerto Rican singer who topped global charts with “Despacito”, have transformed the songs for the Spanish-speaking world.

Their interpretations are layered over the original master recordings of Costello & the Attractions, so hits such as “Pump it Up”, re-voiced by Colombian rocker Juanes, retain the snarling energy laid down on tape by the crack team of Steve Nieve, Bruce Thomas and Pete Thomas.

What will Costello’s loyal fans, who have followed every stylistic swerve, make of it?

“Some people who remember seeing us singing in English on Top of the Pops might go, ‘What the hell is going on?’ But just give it a listen and I think you’ll understand in your heart what we’ve done. It’s been done with a lot of playfulness.”

Costello, to be clear, does not speak Spanish himself. “It’s not something to be afraid of. The Beatles didn’t do too badly in German,” notes Costello of the Hamburg-schooled Fab Four repaying their large German audience by recording Teutonic versions of “I Want to Hold Your Hand” and “She Loves You”.

What Costello has done, inadvertently, is make the perfect album for listeners who find his vocals the least appealing element of his breakthrough records.

“We recorded ‘Pump it Up’ when I came back from an American tour and thought I knew everything. Suddenly quite a good tune was delivered with a sneer, to the detriment of the melody, if I’m really honest. But it was right for the sentiment and now we have this other beautiful version.”

Nuances buried in the Attractions’ assault are heard afresh. And putting a Spanish spin on classic tunes is also a commercially savvy move for a 67-year-old “heritage” artist.

English is no longer pop’s lingua franca, as the success of “Despacito”, which sold eight million copies in 2017 and broke down barriers for Spanish-language pop, demonstrated.

Latin America was the music business’s fastest-growing region globally in 2020, with revenues increasing by 16 per cent.

“Despacito” was followed up the charts by “Mi Gente” by Colombian singer J Balvin, boosted by a Spanish language contribution by Beyoncé, while Camila Cabello and Cardi B have become bilingual superstars.

“We’re known in Latin America but by no means have we had the hits of The Ramones there,” says Costello. “So to some people these songs are brand new.

“Streaming is how most people listen to Spanish Model and it could be a lovely way for people to discover it and maybe they’ll get a little curious to hear something else we do. Maybe they’ll listen to our next record? Who knows, but it’s not like that was the mission for it.”

The record stands on its own artistic merits. Costello conceived the idea after agreeing a request for Wild Belle singer Natalie Bergman to add her vocals to the original recording of “This Year’s Girl” as the theme to HBO drama series The Deuce.

“After hearing it sung from a different perspective, I made this rather fanciful leap into Spanish. I imagined hearing it in a dream one night.”

As it turned out, This Year’s Model has been a cult hit in the Hispanic world for 40 years, but Costello’s spittle-flecked vocal delivery had ensured the meaning of his scattergun lyrics had bypassed its intrigued – and
puzzled – audience.

“Artists are always saying when they listen to Elvis’s music, ‘I wish I knew what he was saying,’” says Sebastian Krys, Costello’s Argentinian producer, who sourced the Hispanic singers. “So here’s an opportunity for people to dig into the ideas behind his songs, where the lyrics are paramount. These are adaptations, not literal translations. If you read Shakespeare in Spanish, it’s not Shakespeare, but you get the intent.”

The singers who came on board, including Draco Rosa, Fito Páez and Jorge Drexler, were given carte blanche to adapt Costello’s English idioms for a local audience.

Uruguayan musician Drexler, singing “Night Rally”, “called to discuss some of these idioms in great detail because he wanted to get every note right”.

The passing of time, and their reinterpretation in a new language, gives the songs a new resonance. The Trump-era scapegoating of Mexican asylum seekers gives a Spanish reading of “Crawling to the USA” fresh political relevance.

And “This Year’s Girl”, Costello’s laceration of the male gaze (“You want her broken with her mouth wide open/’Cause she’s this year’s girl”) hits home harder when sung by a young woman.

“I did say all along this is what the song was about,” says Costello, who was wrongly accused of sexism himself in 1978, over the track he wrote as a response to the misogyny of The Rolling Stones’s “Stupid Girl”.

“I can forgive people for misunderstanding the sympathy of the lyrics because of the intensity of my singing in these songs. Everything explodes through here,” he says pointing to a gap between his front teeth.

There were some surprises. He first heard the vocal for “Radio Radio”, as interpreted by Argentinian pianist Páez, down the phone while on holiday. “I’m trying to listen with my phone jammed to my ear in Disneyland and I’m hearing words that aren’t in the original. I realised later he’d approached the story with a different perspective to the 1978 version. I’m hearing something about whisky – that’s not in the original song. And he’s saying my name. I loved that he was fearless with it.”

Costello says he doesn’t need to speak Spanish to respond emotionally to the new versions – he hopes the language barrier that for decades prevented English music lovers from opening their minds to music in a different tongue has been breached for good.

“When I heard Cami, a girl I’ve never met, sing ‘This Year’s Girl’, she made it truthful to her and that’s all I can ask.

“I respond to something in the sound of a voice when I listen to music in other languages,” he adds. “When I see the actual translation, it often surprises me what a song is about.”

“There are only a dozen topics in song, with a few exceptions: heartbreak, celebration and so on. It’s not hard to work out what’s going on.”

Costello is speaking from New York, where Hurricane Henri has just forced the mid-show abandonment of a Central Park “homecoming concert”, also due to feature Bruce Springsteen and Paul Simon. It was a disappointment: fully recovered after treatment for an “aggressive” prostate cancer tumour in 2017, he is impatient to return to the live stage post-Covid (“I’m just trying to do my job, hopefully in a situation without all this hostility, anxiety and fear”). He hopes to gather the Spanish Model singers together for a special concert, possibly staged in Mexico City.

Costello kept busy during lockdown, releasing a defiant record, Hey Clockface, his 31st studio album, which has inspired another foray into foreign tongues – artists including Iggy Pop and Isabelle Adjani are working on French-language takes on its songs.

“Isabelle Adjani reciting my song ‘Revolution #49’ in French – talk about something coming to me in a dream,” he says, enthused.

Just don’t expect to hear “Oliver’s Army” in Japanese next. “The Spanish and French records are just a coincidence of timing. I’m not working my way through the catalogue going, ‘Now for the Romanian version of ‘Goodbye Cruel World’.’”
jardine

Post by jardine »

I really find it disturbing to hear the music I have known for so long being treated this way. Not "good" disturbing. watched 45 seconds of big tears. yuck. again, i so wish i could 'go' with this, but, well, nope. when i put it up against clockface and the ridiculous armed forces comics, well, a very old love affair is fading, sad to say.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.westport-news.com/entertain ... 448491.php

"Spanish Model": la música de Costello se canta en español

CIUDAD DE MÉXICO (AP) — Elvis Costello creció escuchando cantar a su padre en español. Ahora sus propias canciones son interpretadas por artistas como Juanes, Luis Fonsi, Fito Páez y muchos otros invitados en “Spanish Model”, la versión en castellano de su álbum de 1978 “This Year’s Model”.

El proyecto único, producido por el experimentado argentino Sebastián Krys y lanzado el viernes, utiliza las pistas musicales originales de “This Year’s Model”, incluido entre los primeros 100 de la lista de los 500 mejores álbumes de todos los tiempso de Rolling Stone, pero con las voces de artistas como Cami, Jesse & Joy, Jorge Drexler, La Marisoul, Gian Marco y su hija Nicole Zignago. Surgió después de que Costello y Krys trabajaran en un remix de “This Year’s Girl” para un programa de televisión con una voz femenina.

“Descubrimos no sólo que la cinta seguía funcionando y seguía sonando bien, sino que la interpretación sin mi voz tenía todo tipo de posibilidades”, dijo Costello en una entrevista reciente por videollamada desde Nueva York. “Después no sé cómo pasó, pero simplemente di un salto de fe, que creo que es la parte del sueño ‘hagámoslo en español, hagamos todo el álbum en español’”.

Además de las canciones de “This Year’s Model”, producido originalmente por Nick Lowe, “Spanish Model” incluye demos y canciones grabadas por Costello por aquella época. No se agregó nada al sonido original de su banda de entonces, The Attractions, integrada por Pete Thomas, Steve Nieve y Bruce Thomas.

“Para mí lo importante era tener las voces correctas en el disco. No se trataba tanto de si son estrellas grandes”, dijo Krys desde Los Angeles. “Estoy muy orgulloso de que tenemos un disco en el que está Luis Fonsi al lado de Luis Humberto Navejas de Enjambre. Como que es muy raro tener un disco con tanta diversidad musical y de tantos países diferentes”.

Uno de los aspectos que más le gustó a Costello fue la participación de artistas femeninas.

“Al escuchar a Nina Díaz cantar ‘No Action’, Raquel Sofía cantar ‘Chelsea’, Cami cantar ‘This Year’s Girl’. Estas canciones en particular cambian la perspectiva de la historia que escribí cuando tenía 23 años”, dijo Costello. “Que Cami reconociera algo que pudiera cantar con una actitud diferente sobre esas palabras, sin cambiar esencialmente el significado, me pareció fascinante”.

Otra de las grandes sorpresas del álbum es escuchar a Sebastián Yatra convertirse en un rocanrolero despechado de los años 70 en “Llorar (Big Tears)”, siendo él un intérprete joven de pop urbano.

“La canción toma una forma completamente diferente”, dijo Costello. “Y es bastante diferente al tono de mi versión de la canción, pero su voz suena gloriosa en ella”.

“Me encantó tener a Sebastián en este álbum y me encanta ponerle la canción a la gente sin decirles quién es, y ver su reacción cuando escuchan que es él”, dijo Krys. “Es un reto y creo que va de acuerdo con la música y el arte de Elvis, que está siempre retando a la gente y retando la idea de cómo deberían ser las cosas”.

El mismo Costello considera la etapa de “This Year’s Model” como la de un artista más pop que rockero.

“En Inglaterra por cuatro años cada disco que hicimos estuvo en las listas de popularidad. En los primeros años estábamos dentro, como si fuéramos competencia de las listas pop no sólo de nuestros contemporáneos, The Police y Blondie y The Boomtown Rats, sino también ABBA y Fleetwood Mac y Boney M. y Gloria Gaynor, y esos álbumes de música disco”, dijo Costello. “Estábamos haciendo discos pop. Pero mi rostro y mi voz sugieren algo diferente, siguieren mucha más agresión, y la banda tocó con una fuerza tremenda”.

Costello explicó la plasticidad en su música y su acercamiento con otros artistas, sin importar si pertenecen o no a su generación o latitudes, al comparar el momento que lo llevó a aparecer en la película de las Spice Girls “Spice World” de 1997.

“Estaba en los Premios Ivor Novello, que son de compositores, y las Spice Girls tenían el gran éxito del año y tenían créditos como compositoras. Y un grupo de viejos que fueron compositores en los años 60 las abuchearon porque no las consideraban un grupo real, ni un grupo de compositoras reales. Yo me ofendí por eso”, dijo el músico. “Así terminé en su película, porque me pareció que era tan predecible que la gente criticara a alguien por ser diferente”.

Antes de “Spanish Model”, Costello había invitado a La Marisoul a su álbum “Wise Up Ghost”. La música de Páez la conoció por allá en 2003 y desde entonces no le ha perdido la pista. Costello es además amigo de David Hidalgo de Los Lobos y a través de él conoció música de la frontera entre México y Estados Unidos y rock and roll mexicano. Pero sus recuerdo más antiguo de la música en español es el de su padre cantando.

“Cuando era niño mi padre cantaba en un salón de baile”, dijo Costello. “No soy una persona nostálgica, pero tengo una memoria emocional profunda de escuchar a mi padre cantar, interpretando esa canción de salón de baile, una balada en español. Eso era algo que yo esperaba los sábados en la tarde cuando visitaba el salón con él y había unas 25 personas bailando”.

“¿Cuál era la canción?”, preguntó Krys intrigado.

“Cuando calienta el sol”, dijo Costello tarareando. “Sé que existe en inglés, pero es mucho más emotiva en español y ese es el tipo de balada que la gente cantaba en esos días”.

Volviendo a “Spanish Model”, que estará acompañado de un documental de José Tillán cuyo primer capítulo de seis se estrenará el lunes en YouTube, otra de las grandes interpretaciones es la de “Yo te vi (The Beat)” de Draco Rosa, en la que el ex Menudo muestra todo su poder como rockero. Mientras que Morat, con “Lipstick Vogue”, y Juanes, con “Pump It Up”, dan todo para crear versiones en español explosivas.

La colaboración entre Krys y Costello, muchas veces a distancia, abarca hasta ahora nueve proyectos diferentes. Se remonta al álbum “Look Now” de 2018, incluye los remixes del material en vivo de “Armed Forces”, el álbum “Hey Clockface” y el EP “La Face de Pendule à Coucou”, con versiones en francés de “Hey Clockface” interpretadas por Iggy Pop y la actriz Isabelle Adjani, entre otros. Y está por rendir frutos para el próximo año con dos álbumes más en camino de estos artistas galardonados con el Grammy.

“Sebastián ha sido el amigo más increíble y un gran colaborador, porque nos dimos cuenta de que algunas cosas no las habríamos hecho igual o tan bien si hubiésemos podido estar en la misma sala juntos. Ha sido una época muy emocionante”, dijo Costello. “Así que ansiamos que otros compartan ‘Spanish Model’, pero cuando venga el Año Nuevo escucharán nueva música".

“El segundo álbum es realmente una sorpresa”, añadió. "¿Creen que esto no tiene precedentes? Créanme, apenas estamos empezando y no es una versión en húngaro de ‘King of America’, aunque quizá eso nos encantaría”.

—————————-
Gooogle translation:

"Spanish Model": Costello's music is sung in Spanish

MEXICO CITY (AP) - Elvis Costello grew up listening to his father sing in Spanish. Now his own songs are performed by artists like Juanes, Luis Fonsi, Fito Páez and many other guests on “Spanish Model”, the Spanish version of his 1978 album “This Year’s Model”.

The unique project, produced by experienced Argentine Sebastián Krys and released on Friday, uses the original music tracks from “This Year's Model”, included in the top 100 of Rolling Stone's list of 500 Greatest Albums of All Time, but with the voices of artists such as Cami, Jesse & Joy, Jorge Drexler, La Marisoul, Gian Marco and his daughter Nicole Zignago. It came about after Costello and Krys worked on a remix of “This Year’s Girl” for a television show with a female voice.

"We found not only that the tape was still working and still sounding good, but the performance without my voice had all kinds of possibilities," Costello said in a recent video call interview from New York. "Then I don't know how it happened, but I just took a leap of faith, which I think is the part of the dream 'let's do it in Spanish, let's do the whole album in Spanish'".

In addition to the songs on “This Years Model,” originally produced by Nick Lowe, “Spanish Model” includes demos and songs recorded by Costello at the time. Nothing was added to the original sound of his band at the time, The Attractions, consisting of Pete Thomas, Steve Snow and Bruce Thomas.

“For me the important thing was to have the correct voices on the album. It wasn't so much about whether they are big stars, ”Krys said from Los Angeles. “I am very proud that we have an album in which Luis Fonsi is alongside Luis Humberto Navejas from Enjambre. As it is very rare to have an album with so much musical diversity and from so many different countries ”.

One of the aspects that Costello liked the most was the participation of female artists.

“Hearing Nina Díaz sing 'No Action', Raquel Sofía sing 'Chelsea', Cami sing 'This Year's Girl'. These songs in particular change the perspective of the history that I wrote when I was 23 years old, ”said Costello. "That Cami recognized something that she could sing with a different attitude about those words, without essentially changing the meaning, I found fascinating."

Another of the album's great surprises is hearing Sebastián Yatra turn into a jilted rocker from the 70s in “Llorar (Big Tears)”, as he was a young urban pop singer.

"The song takes a completely different form," Costello said. "And it's quite different from the tone of my version of the song, but his voice sounds glorious on it."

"I loved having Sebastian on this album and I love putting the song to people without telling them who he is, and seeing his reaction when they hear it's him," Krys said. "It's a challenge and I think he goes along with Elvis's music and art, that he's always challenging people and challenging the idea of ​​how things should be."

Costello himself considers the stage of "This Years Model" as that of an artist more pop than rocker.

“In England for four years every album we made was on the charts. In the early years we were in, as if we were competition for the pop charts not only of our contemporaries, The Police and Blondie and The Boomtown Rats, but also ABBA and Fleetwood Mac and Boney M. and Gloria Gaynor, and those disco music albums. Costello said. “We were making pop records. But my face and my voice suggest something different, they follow much more aggression, and the band played with tremendous force ”.

Costello explained the plasticity in his music and his rapprochement with other artists, regardless of whether or not they belong to his generation or latitudes, by comparing the moment that led him to appear in the 1997 Spice Girls movie "Spice World." .

“I was at the Ivor Novello Awards, which are for songwriters, and the Spice Girls had the big hit of the year and had songwriting credits. And a group of old men who were songwriters in the 60s booed them because they didn't consider them a real group, nor a group of real songwriters. I was offended by that ”, said the musician. "That is how I ended up in his movie, because it seemed to me that it was so predictable that people would criticize someone for being different."

Before “Spanish Model”, Costello had invited La Marisoul to his album “Wise Up Ghost”. He got to know Páez's music there in 2003 and since then he has not lost track of it. Costello is also a friend of David Hidalgo from Los Lobos and through him he met music from the border between Mexico and the United States and Mexican rock and roll. But the oldest memory of his music in Spanish is that of his father singing.

“When I was a child my father used to sing in a ballroom, ”Costello said. “I am not a nostalgic person, but I have a deep emotional memory of listening to my father sing, performing that dance hall song, a ballad in Spanish. That was something I expected on Saturday afternoons when I visited the room with him and there were about 25 people dancing ”.

"What was the song?" Krys asked, intrigued.

"When the sun is hot," Costello said, humming. "I know it exists in English, but it is much more emotional in Spanish and that is the kind of ballad that people sang in those days."

Returning to “Spanish Model”, which will be accompanied by a documentary by José Tillán whose first chapter of six will be released on Monday on YouTube, another of the great interpretations is that of “Yo te vi (The Beat)” by Draco Rosa, in the one that the ex Menudo shows all his power as a rocker. While Morat, with "Lipstick Vogue", and Juanes, with "Pump It Up", give everything to create explosive Spanish versions.

The collaboration between Krys and Costello, often at a distance, so far encompasses nine different projects. Dating back to the 2018 album “Look Now”, it includes remixes of the live footage from “Armed Forces”, the album “Hey Clockface” and the EP “La Face de Pendule à Coucou”, with French versions of “Hey Clockface. "Performed by Iggy Pop and actress Isabelle Adjani, among others. And it's about to pay off for next year with two more albums on the way from these Grammy award-winning artists.

“Sebastián has been the most incredible friend and a great collaborator, because we realized that some things we would not have done the same or as well if we could have been in the same room together. It has been a very exciting time, ”said Costello. "So we look forward to others sharing‘ Spanish Model ’, but when the New Year comes around they will hear new music."

"The second album is really a surprise," he added. "Do you think this is unprecedented? Trust me, we are just getting started and it is not a Hungarian version of 'King of America', although maybe we would love that."