Elvis & The Imposters play Eventim Olympia, Liverpool, February 28, 2020

Pretty self-explanatory
verbal gymnastics

Re: Elvis & The Imposters play Eventim Olympia, Liverpool, February 28, 2020

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Importantly - what is the sound and Elvis’ voice like?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Elvis voice was ok , he didn’t have any issues with the louder stuff but he gave Shipbuilding a go but it was a bit frail and it felt like we were all holding our breath for him. He played piano for Roses, A Face In The Crowd and a ballad version of I Can’t Stand Up and got very emotional dedicating Roses to his stoical mother who was there - we later saw her with her carers in a wheelchair after the gig . The sound was the best mix I’d heard since the Cardiff Millenium Centre gig - probably one of the best balanced one fir ages. Davey seemed the have metal tips to his fingers but Rachel and Andrea from the front row reckoned it was sparkly nail varnish. Pete absolutely played his socks off with some lovely brush work in Shipbuilding and Steve was his normal fantastic self. Colin TB was my guide and help in finding my way to the Olympia and we met Tommy from old ECIS days, MikeH , John abs Yvonne who have already posted, Rachel, Andrea, Andrew M from Yorkshire , Paulina and a few familiar faces whose names escaped me ! Colin summed it up well by saying g it wax a great gig allowing for the fact that with Elvis there are always degrees of greatness . I’m still glowing from my prediction of Turning The Town Red and wAiting fur my contract as advisor fir future gig setlists!
Met Pete and Davey andPete said “I know you “ he asked about the sound and I said it was great and he laughed and Davey also seemed please to say hullo. Steve afcc D.C. the girls had already jumped in the people carrier and we had to leave before Elvis cane out to get a bus back into Liverpool city centre . Just in the train back to Devon now - phew - I might just have a listen to one of my Elvis concerts on the way :shock: I
verbal gymnastics

I guess he feels compelled to play Shipbuilding but the frailties in his voice add to the emotion.

I’m not surprised by Turning the Town Red given Liverpool FCs success this season.

I’m wondering if American Without Tears will feature in Southampton.

Glad the sound was good.
johnanderson

Post by johnanderson »

John wrote:Some missing off that list.
Getting Mighty Crowded :D
Unwanted Number
Mr and Mrs Hush
Flutter and Wow

Great to see everyone.
Quick thoughts. Elvis really struggles with some songs now. Shipbuilding was not good. Mostly great though. More enjoyable once girls moved to the front. From A Whisper To A Scream was a surprise highlight with the girls as was Getting Mighty Crowded.
Elvis changed a verse in Oliver’s Army which spoiled the song-a-long a bit.
Elvis’ mum was there and Elvis expressed his heartfelt thanks to the staff at Arrow Park hospital.

Also missing is the snippet of Mr Big Stuff.

I thought that Elvis took a while to hit his stride last night, struggling early on with his voice and his timing. From Mystery Dance onwards, he was fantastic. Before that, quite difficult to watch.
verbal gymnastics

Hopefully he just needs a couple of shows to get back into his stride.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Hopefully he just needs a couple of shows to get back into his stride.
Au contraire VG, I had him fully in his stride last night :D
Great to see pals from this Board and other mates from the city in the margins of the gig.
I was right at the front in amongst a hard core of EC fans from 'Frisco,Chicago,Stockholm and other parts of the world that I've forgotten.They were taken aback a bit when I said I was from Penny Lane.
Quick mention to Ian Powse as support, just loved his set. And he was clearly loving it too. 3000 singing "Does This Train Stop on Merseyside?" gave me goosebumps.
Similarly, hearing the affection in Elvis's voice as he was talking about his Mum is something which will stay with me forever. Also dedicated Turning the Town Red to his 'best friend', I assume this person to be the great Alan Bleasedale. At the end of the song after some finger signs which I didn't understand, he appropriately apologised to Evertonian's in the audience saying "...your day will come." Which it will. The projected images worked very well, particularly during Detectives/Write the Book/What's So Funny. Would be interested to know the new lyrics to Olivers Army, must be special to him to have revised a staple so significantly. Thought the venue was terrific too, ages since I've been to a standing show, obviously the facilities were somewhat lacking but if I had to choose I'd go for atmosphere over pristine lavatories every time.
He confirmed that Face in the Crowd will be staged this year, I'm looking forward to seeing it at the Playhouse :wink:
ColinBehindTheLadyFrom'Frisco
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.getintothis.co.uk/2020/02/e ... liverpool/

Elvis Costello and The Imposters, Ian Prowse: Olympia, Liverpool

Elvis Costello was back in Liverpool for the first time since 2016 and Getintothis’ Steven Doherty was there to take it all in.

Between the Coronavirus and a seemingly never ending parade of storms with daft names, there’s not a lot to cheer about at the moment, and plenty of reasons to barricade yourself indoors.

But we still have live music, and one of the greats, Elvis Costello, is in town (well technically just outside) tonight.

Although, he seems to be very rarely mentioned in despatches as anyone’s favourite musician or in those rock’s greatest acts lists.

Truth be told and cards on the table, we fall into that camp that ignores him.

We wouldn’t say we had never loved Elvis, we’d just never listened, so this was a voyage of discovery tonight.

It’s his first date in a city he has numerous links with, for almost four years.

His last album, 2018’s Look Now won Costello a Grammy, and was his best performing U.K. album chart-wise for over 24 years.

But it’s also those big hitters from the early days that the sold-out crowd have come for tonight, a crowd which is impressive considering tickets are upwards of 50 quid a pop.

But it’s not just about Costello this evening, there’s another local hero to many in supporting attendance, in the shape of Ian Prowse.

There’s a touching preface to Here I Lie, which is dedicated to his eight year old daughter, who is watching her dad play live for the very first time tonight.

He is in celebratory mood today, and with good reason, as it marks the release date of his career anthology ‘best of’ collection.

The band add a Celtic feel to proceedings, none more so on an extended Name And Number which shows off the talent of each of the respective band members.

He blots his copybook by ending with the cloying Does This Train Stop On Merseyside, but all in all it’s an enjoyable half hour.

And so it rolls round to 8.30, lights go down, and there’s an array of glittery attire heading onstage.

Costello, resplendent in a black shiny jacket that one would love for a works Xmas do, takes the screams from the audience and launches into opener Strict Time without any further ado.

The first night of a new tour you would expect to be a nervous time for most acts, with a number of teething difficulties, but we get none of this tonight, they look rehearsed within an inch of their lives.

Elvis introduces the band and offers a cheery “it’s good to be home”, before launching into Clubland.

Tonight sees the backdrop of 3 screens, showing various videos and images for each track, and some thought has clearly gone into this, the childlike charm of the ones used for Green Shirt showing them off to their full ability.

Because of this, it’s a show with not much room for improvisation, there’s no major movements all evening, the band all have their places to stand without much derivation.

And for that to happen successfully, you have to have the songs to back it up.

And it turns out that he does.

Accidents Will Happen is the first big crowd sing-along of the night, but definitely not the last.

He makes the mistake of mentioning the football, (more of which later), patronising one of the two teams in the city (and major props to the bloke behind me who started the ‘Kopites are Gobs**tes’ chant, kudos to you, sir).

There then follows a strange version of I Don’t Want To Go To Chelsea, which sees some noticeable cracking in his vocals.

His onstage mug of whatever he is drinking is then replenished ahead of Watching The Detectives, which sees both a skanky bop and a sea of mobiles from those old enough to remember, and young enough to be able to film on their phones.

He takes a break from guitar duties as the evening starts to turn emotional, with the fragility of his vocal on a magnificent version of Shipbuilding.

Keyboardist Steve Nieve, who has been with Costello for the bulk of his career, is the shining star of the outfit, giving the tunes some heft.

The goose-bumps continue as Costello (or Declan McManus to his mum) announces that she is actually with us in the crowd tonight, making it even more of a special homecoming for him.

It turns out she’s not been well, but has been looked after by the good people of Arrowe Park Hospital, and as the mood softens even more, he dedicates A Good Year For The Roses to her, and grown men visibly melt in front of our very (dusty) eyes.

Costello plays the ringmaster role all evening, fully in charge of proceedings, hamming it up to the crowd and full of anecdotes when required.

The slow, soulful version of I Can’t Stand Up For Falling Down doesn’t feel out of place, and it’s at this point that whatever magic potion he has been swigging must have worked because his vocal becomes incredible.

Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter, from Look Now, a tune he is proud to announce he wrote with Carole King is the best of his newer songs, the boy/girl vocals with his two backing singers (which feel likes a disservice to just call them that, as they are splendid all evening) surrounded by the band who take it up a notch, really works and segues seamlessly into High Fidelity, a song written some 38 years earlier.

In fact, the whole section where he’s stood flanked by them was captivating, it ends with a crowd led Everyday I Write The Book, for which the screens show his handwritten lyrics and pictures from his earlier days.

There’s a gold jacket now in place for the encore, and what an encore.

Pump It Up. Alison. Oliver’s Army.

Those two changes in mood are ones that only a maestro of his game could pull off.

He ends with his usual cover of (What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding and we reflect on what great an evening this was, coming into it as the scantest of aficionados, only knowing the most obvious of singles, but coming away from it mightily impressed.

But then he has to go and spoil it all by doing something stupid like…putting images of the Kop on screen and using YNWA as the walk out music, causing a fractious exit from the venue with pockets of opposing fans starting to have a go at each other.

Apart from that massive misjudgement of mood, a smashing time was had by all.

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

https://twitter.com/ElvisCostello/statu ... 7055030272
Elvis Costello wrote:Thank you to everyone at The Olympia for making this a special night for me and my Mam. Two years ago this would not have seemed possible. Long live The Locarno #tougherthantherest #justtrustuk2020 ⁦
@ElvisCostello
⁩ ⁦⁦
Image Image
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Last edited by sweetest punch on Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
John

Post by John »

That set list isn’t right I’m sure. Getting Mighty Crowded was much later and he definitely sang Flutter and Wow.
Hopefully someone (Sulky maybe) took notes?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

John wrote:That set list isn’t right I’m sure. Getting Mighty Crowded was much later and he definitely sang Flutter and Wow.
Sulky accurately RECORDED setlist order and will rectify soon....he is the u.k. king of writing these down!!! :D
John

Post by John »

That’s a beautiful photograph of Elvis and his Mum. She looks a youthful ninety something.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

John wrote:That set list isn’t right I’m sure. Getting Mighty Crowded was much later and he definitely sang Flutter and Wow.

Official Sulky Lad setlist :-

1. Strict Time
2. Clubland
3. Green Shirt
4. Accidents Will Happen (change from Jazzmaster to green 12 string electric - didn't sound too different, Elvis bring back the Gibson 12 string !
5. Watch Your Step
6. Turning The Town Red
7. Unwanted Number - 99 And A Half Won't Do ( snippet)
8. (I Don't Want to Go To ) Chelsea
9. Flutter And Wow
10. Mystery Dance ( with echo microphone)
11. Watching The Detectives
12. Shipbuilding
13. Good Year For The Roses ( EC - piano)
14. A Face In The Crowd ( EC - piano)
15. I Can't Stand Up (For Falling Down) (EC - piano)
16. Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter
17. High Fidelity ( with some unknown lyrics at the end)
18. From A Whisper To A Scream
19. Party Girl
20. Mr. And Mrs. Hush - segue immediately into -
21. Getting Mighty Crowded
22. Everyday I Write The Book - Mr. Big Stuff ( band introductions- including wiggles according to Cocktail Murderess and Spirit OF Curiosity - I didn't notice !) :wink:
Encore break
23. Pump It Up
24. Alison - I'm Gonna Make You love me
25. Oliver's Army - (with different second verse - so no lyrics starting "There was a checkpoint Charlie" and I think 2 extra lines as well)
26. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding

I thought Pete was particularly awesome tonight, the drumming throughout was brilliant but Mr. And Mrs. Hush was amazing and his brush work in Shipbuilding was so delicate and subtle - genius !
JerseyPride78

Post by JerseyPride78 »

Anyone have audio or video for Shipbuilding?
krm

Post by krm »

sulky lad wrote:

Official Sulky Lad setlist :-

1. Strict Time
2. Clubland
3. Green Shirt
4. Accidents Will Happen (change from Jazzmaster to green 12 string electric - didn't sound too different, Elvis bring back the Gibson 12 string !
5. Watch Your Step
6. Turning The Town Red
7. Unwanted Number - 99 And A Half Won't Do ( snippet)
8. (I Don't Want to Go To ) Chelsea
9. Flutter And Wow
10. Mystery Dance ( with echo microphone)
11. Watching The Detectives
12. Shipbuilding
13. Good Year For The Roses ( EC - piano)
14. A Face In The Crowd ( EC - piano)
15. I Can't Stand Up (For Falling Down) (EC - piano)
17. High Fidelity ( with some unknown lyrics at the end)
19. Party Girl
20. Mr. And Mrs. Hush - segue immediately into -
21. Getting Mighty Crowded
22. Everyday I Write The Book - Mr. Big Stuff ( band introductions- including wiggles according to Cocktail Murderess and Spirit OF Curiosity - I didn't notice !) :wink:
Encore break
23. Pump It Up
24. Alison - I'm Gonna Make You love me
25. Oliver's Army - (with different second verse - so no lyrics starting "There was a checkpoint Charlie" and I think 2 extra lines as well)
26. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding

I thought Pete was particularly awesome tonight, the drumming throughout was brilliant but Mr. And Mrs. Hush was amazing and his brush work in Shipbuilding was so delicate and subtle - genius !
Thanks for sorting this out.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

sulky lad wrote:Official Sulky Lad setlist :-

17. High Fidelity (with some unknown lyrics at the end)
The unknown lyrics at the end of "High Fidelity," were they possibly from "Give Me Just A Little More Time," which was "snippetted" onto the song twice in 2007 and once in 2018?

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... _More_Time

- A
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/ ... -liverpool

Elvis Costello review – electric atmosphere in barnstorming show
5 stars out of 5 stars.
Eventim Olympia, Liverpool

The versatile vocalist puts on a masterclass as he returns to his teenage stomping ground

Elvis Costello cemented his reputation with his first five albums that channelled the energy of the punk era into classic songwriting. Since then, he has experimented with genres from country to classical, collaborated with heroes such as Paul McCartney and Burt Bacharach, dabbled with a beard and even picked up an OBE this month. However, this barnstorming show finds him back where he was before any of it started. “I used to walk past this place on my way to school, but never did pluck up the courage to venture in,” the 65-year old says, pausing for the punchline. “It was a circus then, so I wouldn’t have been good for health and safety.”

So begins a two hour, 26-song masterclass, with a setlist that spans much of his back catalogue and in which stone cold classics come along as regularly as buses. Perhaps his cancer scare in 2018 that resulted in cancelled tour dates has given him a jolt, but he seems to relish every second of this return to his teenage stomping ground, making a grand entrance with arms raised like a champion boxer. Costello usually plays seated venues now, but the standing stalls and boisterous crowd make for an electric atmosphere. There is, perhaps, another reason for the singer-songwriter’s vintage form. He explains that his Liverpudlian mother, Lilian, is in the audience, which he hadn’t expected. She has been very ill and he reveals that she could have died, so Costello pays tribute to the “extraordinary women at Arrowe Park hospital who did so much for her. I can’t tell you how much it means that she’s here tonight”.

He subsequently sings country smash Good Year for the Roses with beautiful care, passion and precision. Costello’s songwriting prowess means that his singing gets overlooked, but he is an extraordinarily versatile vocalist, whether rampaging through rockers such as (I Don’t Want to Go to) Chelsea or bringing mesmeric melancholy to anti-war lament Shipbuilding. An extended falsetto note during Watch Your Step is met with chants of “Elvis!” and two fabulous American soul/gospel backing singers – Kitten Kuroi and Briana Lee – make some songs sound very different.

Sam & Dave’s I Can’t Stand Up for Falling Down is taken to church and Watching the Detectives gets an extended coda. The new A Face in the Crowd bodes well for his forthcoming Broadway musical, but by now, he’s rifling through showstoppers like a pack of cards. Green Shirt pulsates electronically. Party Girl is aching and yearning, and he brings an exquisite vocal quiver to Everyday I Write the Book. Pump It Up rampages furiously and Alison turns into a sing-song before a powerful anti-war double-whammy of Oliver’s Army and (What’s So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding play in front of slogans such as “Don’t join” and “Thou shall not kill”. Costello thanks his band, the cheering audience and his watching mum, who’s seen him at his best.

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.metro.news/concert-review-e ... o/1928911/

Concert review: Elvis Costello

Liverpool Olympia ★★★★✩

WHEN Elvis Costello was a teenager, his bus journey to school in Liverpool used to take him past the slightly weathered — putting it politely — venue that kicked off his new Just Trust tour. ‘Except it was a circus back then,’ he joked. ‘I never had the guts to go inside.’

But Liverpool Olympia was just about the perfect setting for this comeback tour, the first in the UK since Costello had to take time off after his recovery from cancer left him unable to perform. There was a sense of homecoming (he got quite emotional when he revealed his mother was in the audience), of renewal, of going back to his new wave roots, mixed with just the right amount of sentimentality. Of Costello just enjoying playing his best songs with his band The Imposters at a proper gig, rather than a polite, sit-down concert.

The tour is called Just Trust for a reason — perhaps because Costello feels the air of celebration that he can do this again at all, it was a generous set that revelled in all his hits. But even though Oliver’s Army and Pump It Up didn’t arrive until the rapturous encore — complete with Costello sporting a sparkling gold jacket — it felt like a genuine, two-hour musical journey. His breakthrough 1977 single Watching The Detectives was backed by an evocative gumshoe vibe, I Can’t Stand Up For Falling Down was slowed back down to the original Sam & Dave pace, revealing Costello’s soulful range.

‘New’ song Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter — originally written with Carole King in the 1990s but only recorded for last album Look Now — was a glorious amalgam of all of Costello’s musical loves; blues, soul, rock, even lounge-pop.

By the last chords of (What’s So Funny ’Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding, pictures of Costello’s family had been beamed up on screen. He looked genuinely choked as he left the stage to the strains of You’ll Never Walk Alone; crowd-pleasing in Liverpool, of course, but a good summation of his enduring popularity, too.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.hotnewsheadlines.com/entert ... dependent/

‘A chocolate box of faded grandeur’: Elvis Costello, Rufus Wainwright and extra on their favorite stay music venues – The Independent

(...)

Elvis Costello

Favourite venue: The Olympia, Liverpool

While I’ve fond reminiscences from enjoying in every single place from Liverpool Royal Court to the Brighton Top Rank or “The Frenchman’s Motel”, Fishguard, I must select The Olympia on West Derby Road in Liverpool.

It is the venue the place we opened our current Just Trust tour and whereas we had splendid nights at such haunted vaudeville palaces as Blackpool Opera House, Sunderland Empire and The Palace Theatre, Manchester and even in probably the most anxious circumstances on the Hammersmith Apollo, nothing might evaluate with temper and elation on the Eventim Olympia – a everlasting circus constructing courting from 1905 that was later identified at “The Locarno Ballroom” and at which my 92-year previous mom, Lillian, confounded all expectations by managing to reprise her attendance for the primary time since she was a dancehall patron within the late 1940s.

Any place the place the faces of the viewers may be seen on the fringe of the stage, and but there’s a balcony for seated ticket holders, is sure to have extra about it than sure locations that shall stay anonymous, higher suited to a celebration convention or Politburo assembly.

(...)
emotional_fascism076

Post by emotional_fascism076 »

This sounds like a very special show. Besides the YouTube clips has an audio recording turned up?
Who on earth is tapping at the window?
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

12 months on - who could have foreseen the sadness to come?

It was indeed a very special show, the Wiki has links to 8 of the 26 songs, a great reminder of a fantastic evening.....

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... _Liverpool
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Top balcony wrote:12 months on - who could have foreseen the sadness to come? It was indeed a very special show.
It certainly was. Fate dealt me a remarkable hand a year ago. I'd originally had tickets for the Manchester/Castlefield gig in July 2018, and had lined up my ideal group that I wanted to go with - an old school friend, a friend from work and my daughter. I was so excited about seeing Elvis with the three of them together, and then of course it was cancelled due to illness.

So come 2020, as soon as the dates were announced, I made my plan - Liverpool with my old school friend and daughter, then Manchester with my work friend. Liverpool has a lot of strong connections and affection for me anyway, and I always try to do the Liverpool gig on whatever tour it is. But this one - for all the reasons people have listed above - was particularly special.

Then the Manchester gig, with my work friend - he's a big Dylan fan, so we have a longstanding tradition of dragging each other to gigs and then each of us saying 'well, it was OK, but he's not as good as Bob, is he?' Or 'well, it was OK, but he's not as good as Elvis, is he?' and all that. On this occasion, even I was blown away by the ferocity and passion (my 26th Elvis gig). As we stood on the pavement afterwards, I said 'that was a bit of alright though, wasn't it?' And Nick said 'yeah, fair play, he played like a man possessed tonight'.

And now we know why. During the day they must have been having the conversation. And deciding that tonight, and the Apollo in London tomorrow, would be it - after that, the game was up.

So given what's happened since...this time last year...I consider myself truly blessed to have seen the opening night and the penultimate night of the UK Just Trust tour, with people I care about very much, and to have have seen two such impassioned and brilliant performances. Fell lucky.
emotional_fascism076

Post by emotional_fascism076 »

Thank you for sharing your stories of that night. Feels like a world apart now. I'm still keeping the faith that this will pass soon.
Who on earth is tapping at the window?