Elvis plays Paris, France, October 20, 2014

Pretty self-explanatory
MOJO

Re: Elvis plays Paris, France, October 20, 2014

Post by MOJO »

It's sweet that he paid tribute to his father on this day. To my fellow Libran who is at rest- a quite toast to him for bringing us the man who has entertained for so many years, EC! (also, happy birthday to Tom Petty, Wanda Jackson, Snoop Lion/Dog/whatever is next and me :). Still wanting to know more about that Santa Cruz song. It must be an old, lost Dylan song. Loving that tune! It leaves me with images of just rolling into town from old Soquel San Jose Road. (peace)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Photo by Aram H Kevorkian
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I think I can now safely confirm that a recording of this does exist ! :wink:
krm

Post by krm »

sulky lad wrote:I think I can now safely confirm that a recording of this does exist ! :wink:
excellent!
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Great job Azmuda, toclement was sitting beside me, admired his discipline at getting all that taping done, wonderful results.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

For a lot of the main set I have to admit I was a little disappointed. Granted, Watch your step, Lost on the river (introduced as a new song and sounding exactly like an Elvis song) and When I was cruel No. 2 were excellent, played in a beautiful venue with a great sound. Also granted was that Elvis was in good voice, chatty and in good humour. But to me it was a little bit too familiar compared to recent setlists. Perhaps I expect too much from Elvis sometimes.

But then Steve came on from the first encore to the rest of the show and things just livened up. There were many highlights.

- preceding Wave a white flag Elvis said he gauged his audience by their reaction to the song
- Alison was sung off mic at the front of the stage
- Steve ended Accidents with a little bit of I just don't know what to do with myself. Elvis then told a story that he said Steve didn't even know about. He had written Accidents and had fallen in love with "quite an attractive taxi driver" in Tucson, Arizona and had asked her to take him to Mexico before deciding about 10 minutes later to turn back. Fortunately sulky lad has this story for posterity
- Chelsea was, I presume, an arrangement of Steve's and featured a completely different last verse which mentioned Victoria Station. Again, sulky lad has saved the day here
- Almost Blue featured Elvis taking over from Steve at the end of the song and Steve taking front man duties with a melodica (?). It was great!
- Elvis was visibly choked when he was talking about what would have been Ross's 87th birthday. Not only did he thank the audience for getting him through this but he also said "For Ross" after The birds will still be singing which Martin pointed out had been Ross's favourite Elvis song
- By the end of the first encore people were on their feet and were ready for Elvis to cut loose. He didn't do so until Oliver's Army which was a shame really
- he also asked for around of applause for his shoes (which were pink and pretty cool), saying he had bought them on the Reeperbahn which he was visiting "for research purposes"
- He also made a joke about bad Bach wigs and then joked that only Steve got the joke
-Somewhat unusually he didn't really deviate from the published setlist.

It was a very enjoyable evening although I'd happily swap I want you for 2 other songs instead!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

verbal gymnastics wrote:- Chelsea was, I presume, an arrangement of Steve's and featured a completely different last verse which mentioned Victoria Station. Again, sulky lad has saved the day here
Here's Steve doing it solo earlier this month:

MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Steve's solo interpretation is too fast for EC's vocals, although I am only gaging from these two YouTube videos which is often the worst platform to place judgement. Both dudes are awesome on their own, no doubt. I would like to see Steve focus on Imperial Bedroom tunes, since it has more of a classical bent than any other album, IMHO. But, what do I know. My ears are open to whatever happens with these two musicians. Good stuff! (Peace)
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Oh, and total bonus points for Ross telling EC (at 17) he was "a disgrace to the family. Grow your hair." Awesome. If I had an opportunity to have a father at that age (mine died when I was 15), I would have been on board. Where is the poster board and day-glo paint? Yeah! A prayer to the MacManus family. Heavy stuff. (peace)
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Review posted on 21 October 2014 by Laurent Samuel:

Elvis Costello, tout simplement impérial à l’Olympia

Superbe, magnifique… Les mots sont faibles pour qualifier le concert acoustique et (presque) solo d’Elvis Costello hier soir 20 octobre 2014 à l’Olympia.

" La « mise en bouche » avait été efficacement assurée par l’excellent pianiste Steve Nieve (prononcez naïve), qui est un peu à Elvis Costello ce que Steve Van Zandt est à Bruce Springsteen : un complice des bons et mauvais jours qui reste toujours fidèle tout en volant volontiers de ses propres ailes. En comparaison de Tall Ulysse, de Cali (pas reconnu tout de suite !) et d’un bon guitariste (si vous connaissez son nom, merci de me l’indiquer !), Steve Nieve a donc interprété quelques titres avant de céder la scène (après un entracte) à la vedette de la soirée.

Elvis Costello surgit donc, tout juste accompagné d’une collection impressionnante de guitares. De 45 à She (sa reprise de Charles Aznavour) en passant par Veronica ou Everyday I Write The Book (petit chef d’oeuvre qu’il prétend avoir écrit en 10 minutes, mais on n’est pas forcé de le croire…), Elvis Costello revisite en acoustique quelques perles d’un répertoire aussi riche et varié que celui de Bob Dylan ou de Randy Newman, avec qui il partage ce mélange typiquement anglo-saxon d’ironie et de romantisme échevelé généralement mal perçu dans nos contrées. Entre les chansons, il égrène quelques souvenirs sur son père et son grand-père, tous deux musiciens (le fait d’être issu d’une famille de musiciens est un autre point commun entre Costello et Newman).

Ci-dessous, la vidéo d’un moment fort de la soirée : The Comedians, titre écrit par Elvis Costello pour Roy Orbison.

Ce set solo se termine en beauté avec un magistral Watching The Detectives et un très émouvant Alison, commencé a cappella et repris en choeur tant bien que mal par un public enthousiaste et attentif.

Elvis Costello est alors rejoint sur scène par Steve Nieve. Le duo guitariste/pianiste démarre en trombe avec Accidents Will Happen, que Costello affirme avoir composé en hommage à une chauffeure (chauffeuse ?) de taxi mexicaine, mais on n’est pas forcé de le croire… La suite du concert alterne avec grâce classiques (Chelsea, Shipbuilding, Olivers’ Army…) et titres moins connus (Tender Moment, The Birds Will Be Singing…), avant un Peace, Love & Understanding final, où les choristes et guitaristes de Steve Nieve rejoignent sur scène le dynamique duo.

Les fans du Costello rocker punk auront sans doute été déçus, mais à mon humble avis, ce concert est l’un des tous meilleurs qu’il m’ait été de donner d’écouter de celui qui, à 60 ans bien sonnés, reste au top des songwriters contemporains."

And in "English" via Google Translate:

Elvis Costello, simply imperial Olympia

Beautiful, beautiful ... Words are weak to qualify and the acoustic concert (almost) solo Elvis Costello last night October 20, 2014 at the Olympia.

"The "appetiser "was effectively ensured by the excellent pianist Steve Nieve (pronounced naïve), which is a little Elvis Costello that Steve Van Zandt is Bruce Springsteen: an accomplice of good and bad days remains faithful happy while flying on his own. compared Tall Ulysses, Cali (not recognized right away!) and a good guitarist (if you know his name, thank you for the show!), Steve Nieve has performed some tracks before handing the stage (after intermission) to the star of the evening.

Elvis Costello therefore arises, just accompanied by an impressive collection of guitars. 45 and She (her cover of Charles Aznavour) through Veronica or Everyday I Write The Book (small masterpiece he claims to have written in 10 minutes, but we are not forced to believe ...) Elvis Costello revisits some acoustic pearls a rich and varied repertoire than Bob Dylan or Randy Newman, with whom he shares this mixture typically Anglo-Saxon irony and frenzied romanticism generally frowned upon in our country. Between songs, he recites a few memories of his father and grandfather, both musicians (being from a family of musicians is another common point between Costello and Newman).

Below is a video highlight of the evening: The Comedians, as written by Elvis Costello to Roy Orbison.

This solo set ends in style with a masterful Watching The Detectives and a very emotional Alison started a cappella chorus and taken somehow by an enthusiastic and attentive audience.

Elvis Costello was then joined on stage by Steve Nieve. The duo guitarist / pianist starts with a bang with Accidents Will Happen, Costello says he composed in honour of a Chauffeur (fireside?) Mexican taxi, but it is not forced to believe ... The next concert alternates with classical grace (Chelsea, Shipbuilding, Olivers' Army ...) and lesser known titles (Tender Moment, the Birds Will Be Singing ...) before a Peace, Love & Understanding finale, where singers and guitarists Steve Nieve join the dynamic duo on stage.

Costello fans of punk rocker will probably disappointed, but in my humble opinion, this concert is one of the best it has been for me to listen to those who, at age 60 sounded good, rest the top contemporary songwriters. "

MOOT
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I've heard a rumour that a recording of this show may now be circulating - at last ! :oops: :shock: