EC/Imposters Caesars AC Sat, Mar 8 2014 09:00 P

Pretty self-explanatory
bronxapostle

Re: EC/Imposters Caesars AC Sat, Mar 8 2014 09:00 P

Post by bronxapostle »

SoulForHire wrote:I assume the punk version is similar to the way they played it in Japan. Ugh. I love that song but the "punk" version just rips the heart and soul of that song.
i have not heard Japan yet, but...EXACTLY why i will give it credit as a DIFFERENT take. NOT a funky take at all...almost more RAMONES than ROOTS! yet, i enjoyed the stomp through it. and yet again, i agree now totally devoid of the funk/soul aspect when played like this. and for those who think i overdo it when i credit "different" takes, it is the ONLY one of the four WISE UP songs from last night that i did so. the MEANTIMES bossa nova IMPOSTERS is pretty close to the original. the CINCO MINUTOS, though slightly more HIGH FIDELITY chord structure gets no NEW take credit...and the SUGAR WON'T WORK with JIMI guitar play still stays true to lp take. though i predict he will eventually NO DOUBT ABOUT IT, start singing FOXEY LADY during those big power chords and guitar soloing!
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

I was there in the 6th row with my FREE ticket, the band was in great form as was Elvis's voice. I think that was one of the best live takes of Clubland I've ever heard. And I thoroughly enjoyed the WUG songs, esp. Meantimes and Cinco. Enjoyable (if short) show!
AKA: Mike the Lawyer
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

of course it's enjoyable for FREE! but is it really FREE if you get comped because you lose $5000 a year STRICT??? haha let's see...he did YOUR username song, and monkey2man's...why not the BALL BUSTING BRONX BAND "Bronx Apostle" or at the very least...SPRINGSTEEN's "LOST IN THE FLOOD?" :lol:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Benjamin Agostino shares this great photo taken by his brother-

bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

johnfoyle wrote:Benjamin Agostino shares this great photo taken by his brother-

a man of mystery...his name is brotherapostle: FOREVER!! 8) 8) it is stunning, yes??? p.s. can you say BOOTLEG COVER ART PHOTO???
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

:D :D
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

bronxapostle wrote:
SoulForHire wrote:I assume the punk version is similar to the way they played it in Japan. Ugh. I love that song but the "punk" version just rips the heart and soul of that song.
i have not heard Japan yet

Watch it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgaPtF45tCs
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Looking at those posted photos it would appear EC has been avoiding the gym of late-vanishing is that svelter figure of just a few years ago-vestiges of the holidays as I well know. :wink:
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Wonderful photo !!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

thanks sulky...really must get bros permission to share all i can of his EC work at least for wiki's sake. he has come to 44 of my 112 and has many GREAT pics
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

two corrections are needed for this setlist/show at the wiki: it was at this same EXACT theater, still named CIRCUS MAXIMUS too.

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... us_Theater

i know ANCT will get to this edit when he can.

but, still having BIG trouble with both my computer (hence the transfer of SONY's work) AND giving a name to snippet played ending EITHER SIDE OF THE SAME TOWN. i even asked DAVEY at fbook if he caught it. here's his response:

it flew by me; I heard it and I was just trying to figure out if it rang any bells and if we were going to launch into something! Heads up ball at all times!

i relent on WALK US UPTOWN being cited as a "different" version there....but, SO very different indeed, at least in MY book(keeping!) :lol: :lol:
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

sulky lad wrote:We love you and your Sony, BA :lol:
i was a little downhearted listening back the following day. but, i let it sit and listened again to the show going to and from Church on Sunday! NOT BAD AT ALL! and the good news...i THINK i made a little headway with my computer woes, so we might just have this one for everyone by the weekend! STAY TUNED to your FAVOURITE analog channel. 8) 8)
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

bronxapostle wrote:
sulky lad wrote:We love you and your Sony, BA :lol:
i was a little downhearted listening back the following day. but, i let it sit and listened again to the show going to and from Church on Sunday! NOT BAD AT ALL! and the good news...i THINK i made a little headway with my computer woes, so we might just have this one for everyone by the weekend! STAY TUNED to your FAVOURITE analog channel. 8) 8)

maybe not....HELP SULKY!!!! where should this PB or EQ setting be set while recording and/or playback on this SONY TCS 430 please? :? :?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Not really sure what you mean, BA. Is there a EQ setting on the Sony itself ?
What are you trying to do , copy your cassette version to CD or burn it directly to a PC. I'm afraid I use hi-fi kit to burn cassettes to CDr and then use EAC to mKe wav files . I did the same with minidiscs and it's only with the flash recorder that I've gone straight to PC from the flash card . Sorry this isn'tuch help, looking forward to hearing your tape as and when !
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

yes sulky...there is a select button choice between PB and EQ alongside the never used PAUSE button right on the SONY. i was wondering if you knew if this perhaps depended on the cassette used, remember the old METAL tapes? and if you knew which setting was more appropriate for me. and if it mattered on playback. guess i must toy with it. oh, you will hear it, regardless. LORD KNOWS WE'VE HEARD WORSE! and, no i also go through my PC using my POLDERBITS program which allows for level adjustments and excellent track making and it does end in WAV files. ten or twelve years ago i did burn them out right at the stereo cassette player to cd burner, which were NOT as easily adjusted OR tracked. i still am incurring difficulties on my computer with sound problems, yet i was able to hear if i use headphones! this is NOT my preferred way to work as i hate headphones! so, give me a little more time. i had sent an mp3 of one song (EITHER SIDE) to nunki as this is the one that is torturing me for the tidbit EC sings at songs end! coincidentally, it was the song where my wife FINALLY exploded at the noisy chatter of the drunks behind us, so you hear her bitching and me imploring her NOT to ruin my tape. :lol: :lol: :lol: anyway, this is just a test (NOT to be a final mix i hope) , and maybe someone else can help name the song...i will send it along to doc to upload at youtube and i'm sure you will find it at this thread later on. again, any assistance about the TC-430 or the fragment sung would be much appreciated folks!
krm

Post by krm »

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (16.41 KiB) Viewed 20871 times
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Excellent, K , it would explain the Equalisation setting depending on type of tape . I used almost exclusively Aiwa recorders when I first started recording seriously in the late 80s and then moved to a Sony in 1994 which served me well up to minidisc first used for the Bacharach concert in the Royal Festival Hall in 1998 which was also my first meeting with Verbal ! I walked all along the front of the first tier of seating unaware my microphone was dangling out the front of my shirt :oops:Looking forward to your recording whenever you're ready . Mrs BA will probably be as animated as I was in Liverpool in 2012 when I turned round to tell 3 shrunken yobs to shut the fuck up - it can be heard only master recording !
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

i remain confused. so PB vs. EQ would equate to "metal" versus "normal" tape???? i should use the EQ setting?
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

bronxapostle wrote:two corrections are needed for this setlist/show at the wiki: it was at this same EXACT theater, still named CIRCUS MAXIMUS too.

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... us_Theater

i know ANCT will get to this edit when he can.

but, still having BIG trouble with both my computer (hence the transfer of SONY's work) AND giving a name to snippet played ending EITHER SIDE OF THE SAME TOWN. i even asked DAVEY at fbook if he caught it. here's his response:

it flew by me; I heard it and I was just trying to figure out if it rang any bells and if we were going to launch into something! Heads up ball at all times!

i relent on WALK US UPTOWN being cited as a "different" version there....but, SO very different indeed, at least in MY book(keeping!) :lol: :lol:
Sounds intriguing Ba and as keeper of the shards..I'm desperate to know..haven't heard the fragment, so cannot say..but could it be "Dark End of The Street" ? with which the song bears a close relation to..or perhaps something by Robert Tate who originally recorded "Either Side"..? Without any further musical or lyrical clues..I'm stabbin at this in the dark I'm afraid..
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

thanks IMPOSTER! love your effort....i was thinking Howard (i think i'm correct, not Robert) Tate also. doc should have it up at youtube and here before long. good luck shard collectors!
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

bronxapostle wrote:thanks IMPOSTER! love your effort....i was thinking Howard (i think i'm correct, not Robert) Tate also. doc should have it up at youtube and here before long. good luck shard collectors!
"Let's go to the (audio) tape":

FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

It's Point Of No Return, by Bobby Womack. Elvis did this in full a couple of times in 1983. Also a solo version at the piano in Hamburg in 1984.

Dave
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

yeah Dave??? http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... _No_Return
dumb luck..i was at the FIRST performance in Asbury Park!
please, point out exactly WHAT lyrics you hear please.
wasn't there a second DIFFERENT song with the same title that he played or released???
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Thanks, Dave!
bronxapostle wrote:wasn't there a second DIFFERENT song with the same title that he played or released???
Yes... http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/index.php/Point Of No Return (Bobby Womack song)

...but based on Dave's comments, it looks like the wiki has misidentified some performances of the Bobby Womack song as the Goffin/King song. (That'll be fixed soon.)

The lyrics Elvis sings are approximately:

Baby if the cake ain't missing
Why'd that icing get all over you
You're the biggest chocolate covered liar I ever saw
Was it good good good

Funny how much easier it is to make out the lyrics now that Dave has identified the song.

I can't find Bobby Womack's version online, but here it is by Jim Ford (who wrote it):

FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

You know what, ANCT, I'm not sure about that Hamburg 1984 one now. Of course I can't find my notes on that show (there is a tape of it). Now I'm thinking it might have been the Georgie Fame version (Goffin/King).

But the 1983 performances are definitely the Womack one (or Jim Ford one). I got to see two of those live.

Not sure about the 2010, haven't heard it yet! But looking at the setlist, it looks like an add-on to Alison, so I bet it's the Womack.

And you are right about the lyrics I heard, thanks for quoting them for us!

Dave