Why can't we

Announcements and instructions regarding the board
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

That's undoubtedly lovely, but can't we have something a bit more overtly EC-focussed? Akin to the silhouette of Dylan. Something that makes you say 'good ol' Elv' every time you come here.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

I guess I am getting confused. Are you wanting something snazzier than the "Elvis Costello Fan Forum" text? or a favicon next to the URL in the browser? Or something else entirely?

The page you referenced would be more of a layout for the top page. If you can do that, I would be happy to replace our top page.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I think he's talking about the favicon (that's a new word for me!). Actually, I think he was volunteering to research it and do the work. :D
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

favicon.ico is the name of the default file and I just didn't know another name for it. I encourage him to work on one for the site and submit it.

I should be able to take a 16x16 GIF or BMP file with 16 colors and convert it. There is a tool on Linux to do that. You just have to supply the graphics.

Here is a URL with some technical information which might help:

http://www.adultwebmasternewsletter.com ... ites.shtml
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Yes, I think Otis is just the man for this... :lol:
Otis Westinghouse

I am mocked! Indeed I am not the man for this. I have no idea how I might take an image and reduce its pixels to a miniscule 16 x 16. Surely someone else is the person for this? I like the link, Doc, their arguments for having a favicon are my sentiments exactly.

All I could do was run a Google image search for 'Elvis Costello icon'. Got this:

http://www.getsomenoise.com/usericons/E ... ello01.gif

This is 52 x 52. Would it work at such a tiny size? I guess the image should be quite simple to make it effective. A pair of Costello glasses would work nicely, a trademark thing like Dylan's hair.

This is bigger at 119 x 89, but might work well, and quite nice to have Elvis live, as most of us will recently recall him:

http://www.radevil.com/images/icon_imag ... stello.jpg

Or maybe a whopping 300 x 298:

http://ameblo.jp/user_images/f7/62/10001734549.jpg

This is good, 70 x 70:

http://www.providencephoenix.com/archiv ... _70x70.gif

Any volunteers? (To shrink down, or to find/create a good 16 x 16 one. SMM?
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

From my limited experience creating these, the image has to be extremely small and simple to begin with. Something like the glasses, the vertical of EC looking over the camera with no background, or maybe even just an EC is probably the type of thing that would work.

Remember, it needs to be recognizable as a tiny image.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Since iPhoto SUCKS and I don't have any real capacity to work with photos or graphics, I ain't the one to do this. But I had a similar thought to the Doc-- a strategically cropped version of the black and white TRUST poster could work, maybe just one eye looking over that half of his glasses. Though perhaps with these teeny images color is actually more powerful than black and white? Dunno.
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

Instead of moving the site to the new machine, I worked on the favicon. I tried This Year's Model but it got too small to be recognizable. I have managed to get a nice image of some EC glasses down to the right size. I can try other images but they need to be very simple.

Using Firefox or Konqueror on Linux and Opera on Windows, it is there. Neither Mozilla nor IE on Windows show it on the URL bar. But IE apparently will show it in your bookmark list. It appears to be some sort of security concern that I don't understand.

Anyway, some of you should now see a pair of EC glasses next to the URL. What do you think?
Otis Westinghouse

Thanks, Doc, for giving this a go. On Safari on Mac I ain't getting either. I'll look at work and see how it looks!
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

No problem. Any other ideas to pimp the site?
Otis Westinghouse

Well here I am on a PC at work with IE, and nothing apears in the URL line, but then I added a favourite and an entirely indecipherable, largely white image appeared in the list. When selcting that favourite, a grey and equally indecipherable image appears. Tricky stuff, isn't it? Same thing when I try expectingrain.com, in terms of only appearing once favourited, but not in terms of lack of clarity of their Dylan silhouette. Possible to try something else?
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I have no way to help make this happen, but the IDEAL favicon would be a pair of glasses. You know the ones.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

That's what he was trying out. He managed to get it to work in a couple of different browsers, but was having difficulty getting it to work universally. That pair of glasses is exactly what he was using.

Great minds must think alike, Noise. :wink:

Hang in there, Otis. He'll get it to work eventually. :)
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Would it possible to be able to upload pictures straight from my PC to a post, as we can for our avatar?
signed with love and vicious kisses
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Good news - the favicon appeared on my bookmark list.
Bad news - it's barely recognizable ; if I didn't know it's the glasses, it would be difficult to tell what it is.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Just switched from Safari to Firefox and I can now see the little pair of glasses. Nice one Doc.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

Is it any better? I like Safari, but if it's worth it... Heard of someone using 'Camino' on a Mac the other day. Or something like that. Ring any bells?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Is it any better? I like Safari, but if it's worth it... Heard of someone using 'Camino' on a Mac the other day. Or something like that. Ring any bells?
Yep. I tried Camino but I think that Firefox is better than both Safari and Camino. I was having trouble getting certain sites to work properly with Safari, so I guess I'm going to have to carry two browsers for now. It's very easy to import bookmarks into Firefox from Safari. I would recommend giving it a spin. Seems a mite faster as well.
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

How the blazes do I post an image in a reply?
I've tried hard using the codes above but nothing seems to happen.
I'm not normally such a computer-illiterate person.
Help!!!!
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Fishfinger king wrote:How the blazes do I post an image in a reply?
I've tried hard using the codes above but nothing seems to happen.
I'm not normally such a computer-illiterate person.
Help!!!!
Copy the url of the image you want to display - it must be located somewhere on the web (and you want the URL of the image itself). Then click on the Img tag above, paste the URL, and click on Img again to close. Submit and voilà!